PDA

View Full Version : What books should i look at next?

Devronq
2013-08-17, 01:35 PM
So im slowly in the process or rewriting all the books to my own liking as many people have already done. Right now ive got core done + spell thief + warlock + TOB was intregrated into ranger/fighter/paladin. I think I wanna save psionics for last seeing as how much work it would. So what book/classes should I look at next to add to my game? I was thinking maybe binder/incarnium/shadow casting/ essentia/truenamer one of those maybe as I know next to zero about them. I hear true namer is horrible and could use improvement but if never really done more than skim it. I have a PDF of all the books but no dragon magazine so suggestions? thank you \

Eric

mattie_p
2013-08-17, 02:23 PM
I would advise you to work through remaining OGL content on d20srd.org (http://d20srd.org), whatever books you physically have, or whatever content you can find here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/websources.html).

Devronq
2013-08-17, 03:33 PM
I physically have almost every book as well excel for whatever those classes I listed are in and I don't have all the campaign books but everything else. Hmm thanks for that link though ill defiantly have to look through that. I think I phrased my question weirdly though I was mostly asking what's the funniest subsystem to learn other than psionocs and TOB because I know them both already

Namfuak
2013-08-17, 03:51 PM
The truenaming system is pretty funny, so long as you don't like ice cream.

Devronq
2013-08-18, 03:59 AM
The truenaming system is pretty funny, so long as you don't like ice cream.

Ice cream?

Namfuak
2013-08-18, 08:32 AM
Ice cream?

It's a forum joke. Truenaming is one of the few official subsystems in 3.5 that is generally agreed to be broken, in that it does not work. Basically, you have to make a skill check to use truenames, or however they are called, which rapidly outscales a regular progression of skill checks. Many of the truenames are nigh useless or badly written, some even literally missing crucial pieces about how they work, and all in all it's basically held up as an example of what not to do in a subsystem. Which is really too bad, because the concept is really cool (find the truename of something and you get power over it, something that's found in a lot of fantasy but isn't well represented in D&D).

limejuicepowder
2013-08-18, 11:23 AM
Ice cream?

reference to Zaq's guide to the truenamer, where he claims to have lost the ability to taste ice cream after playing a truenamer. It's a terrible affliction, as ice cream is one of the finer pleasures in life.

Flickerdart
2013-08-18, 11:27 AM
reference to Zaq's guide to the truenamer, where he claims to have lost the ability to taste ice cream after playing a truenamer. It's a terrible affliction, as ice cream is one of the finer pleasures in life.
Except strawberry ice cream. Anyone who eats strawberry ice cream is having ice cream wrong and needs to knock it off.

limejuicepowder
2013-08-18, 11:37 AM
Except strawberry ice cream. Anyone who eats strawberry ice cream is having ice cream wrong and needs to knock it off.

Whats with the hate? Especially hate that could be used for true abominations like cotton candy or bubblegum ice cream...I'll admit strawberry is on the plainer side, but at least it doesn't attack the taste buds like rampaging owlbears.

Agent 451
2013-08-18, 02:01 PM
Have to agree with Flickerdart here. Specifically, why does strawberry have to go and ruin an otherwise beautiful combination of vanilla and chocolate in Neapolitan ice cream?

Devronq
2013-08-19, 03:49 AM
To be honest I think fake strawberry icecream is terrible but ones made with real strawberry, possibly with a nice strawberry Coulis made with wine is excellent. Anywho back on topic so truenaming sounds terrible then what else should i check out?

Eldan
2013-08-19, 04:10 AM
From your list:

If you think Psionics is too much work, stay away from Incarnum for now. A ot of people find it needlessly complicated and badly formatted.

Shadowcasting is another underwhelming system. In Tome of magic, it's the mid-point between the Binder, which is excellent and balanced and the Truenamer, which doesn't work. It's interesting and fun, but not quite good enough.

So, I'd recommend the Binder. It's not too hard to understand, it works well and its very flavourful. Though, sometimes a bit overwhelming, as it gives a character a lot of options.