PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Combat ideas

Invader
2013-08-17, 07:03 PM
I have ever a knight 5 who has some focus on mounted combat and I'd like to give him a chance to show off a little bit but I'm looking for something more exciting than just "ok use your horse in this fight. Any suggestions on how I can design a really fun combat situation for him.

If it's pertinent the rest of the party consists of:
Melee focused cleric
high AC heal bot cleric
Druid
Fighter/wiz
Wiz

All lvl 5 average optimization.

watchwood
2013-08-17, 07:23 PM
Have a situation comes up where an enemy they need to catch tries to ride away on horseback (or something similar) and the mounted knight needs to catch him.

ArcturusV
2013-08-17, 07:32 PM
Related idea is to open up the battlefield. I mean by matter of convenience, your battles are probably pretty tightly scaled. Enemies appear within 100 feet or less. You're in melee range in a round or two, etc. In battles like that, the mounted combat knight isn't really impressive.

Now when you have a battle where engagements are over thousands of feet instead of tens? Suddenly the guy who has the horse looks a whole lot more impressive.

One thing you might want to arrange is a Fire Brigade sort of encounter for the Knight. One where he uses the mobility of his horse, and the decent damage you can get off Charging off horseback to deal with situations. So you have a larger battle going on, and the knight is wheeling around and charging left and right helping out the foot soldiers as they run into trouble, smiting down powerful enemies in quick battle passes, etc.

The guy who invested in mounted combat LOVES scenarios like that. The foot bound players not so much. As they'll typically either solo one of the "fights" going on in the larger battle, or split up to lend a little help to every hotzone. But it's not like they're just sitting on their hands the way it happens when you give the Archer an encounter tailored specifically towards him/her, they still have stuff to do so they won't hate it.