PDA

View Full Version : Dragons and Aging Penalties

Yogibear41
2013-08-17, 07:16 PM
Do dragon's take penalties for aging? Now I know "true" dragons don't in fact they get stronger the older they get, but do normal dragon races such as the Pseudo-dragon for example?

When using dragonwrought Kobolds as something to go by we see that they are not "true" dragons but do gain the dragon type, in addition if they have said type do to the feat they no longer take aging penalties to their physical scores. This leads me to believe that this maybe the case for all races with the Dragon type, is their any thing to prove/disprove this theory?

For an actual game application I am looking at playing a Pseudo-Dragon. According to the MM they have an age span of 10-15 years. Looking through the PHB another race that I could base that Pseudodragons age categories off of, I came across the Halfling with a venerable age of 100, or 10 times that of a pseudo-dragon. Going by the Halflings age categories and dividing by 10 you come up with:

Adulthood: 2 Middle Age: 5 Old: 7.5 Venerable: 10 and then for maximum age 1d6-1 to account for the range of 10 to 15 years.

Basically I'm looking to play a Pseudodragon wizard in an e6 game, which would limit me to a point buy of only 10, and I am trying to squeeze out any advantage I could get, since limiting myself to only 2nd level spells is already a hefty nerf for a wizard in E6. (2 rhd/4 wizard)

Finally, I also wanted to throw in some hook about the character being Immortal, or at least not dying of old age. I have heard that the wedded to history feat could do this, but I am unable to find a copy of that particular Dragon Magazine to check if by gaining that feat would I no longer be able to age myself to a higher age bracket?

For the story hook I was going to basically have the character, be a familiar for a good wizard thousands of years ago, but the wizard more or less pulled a vecna became an evil deity thereby breaking his link to the familiar but somehow a bit of his divine spark slipped over giving the pseudodragon eternal life or some such as this.

Zanos
2013-08-18, 03:07 AM
I can't answer your other questions, but the version of Wedded to History that grants the Endless(Ex) qualify prevents you from taking penalties or gaining bonuses from aging.

Yogibear41
2013-08-18, 06:08 AM
I think I might have heard something like that already, oh well that is unfortunate and more or less solves the current situation at hand, because I don't want to put alot of work into a character that could potentially die of old age rather quickly lol.