PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew magic items - opinions please

Unbalanced
2013-08-17, 10:18 PM
Here's a few items I've whipped up for a 7th level group.
Wondering what people think of them.
Changes? Improvements? Constructive criticism?

Oh, also, this is 3.5.

Sacrifice of Sight
(mask)
A thin, metallic face mask which has no eyeholes.
Though it has no strings or methods to attach, when raised to one's face it sits firm.
When worn the mask has a very pale white glow.

- Wearer becomes blind.
- Grants wearer Blindsense and Tremorsense (90ft)
- Produces a cone of dim light (10ft)
- Putting on or removing the mask takes 1 round for your senses to readjust

Power of Hindsight
(circlet)
A narrow golden band which fits around one's head.
It is very finely patterned with small engravings of eyes.

- When hurt 3hp or more with a single attack, regain 2hp the following round
(These stack if you take more than 1 attack in a round)

Robe of Fiery Warmth
(robe)
A very well made robe. A deep dark red in colour with gold stitching.
Even from 5ft away, you can feel it projecting heat.

- Wearer never suffers from cold temperature effects
- Wearer gains +10 resistance to cold damage
- If wearer is grappled or constricted, the attacker must make a Fort save (DC: 15) or take 1d6 heat/fire damage

Boots of the Elocator
(boots)
A very heavy and solid pair of dark brown boots.
They are clearly worn and look like they need repairs.

- These boots never touch the ground
- Wearer floats about an inch above the ground at all times (even if they don't want to)
- Wearer takes no penalty when walking across uneven surfaces
- Wearer gains +10 on any balance or jump checks

Amulet of Q'sarm
(amulet)
A large gold pendant scored with a million scratches.
Whatever symbol was once engraved on its face is now undistiguishable through all the scratch marks.
On the back, through some more scratches, you can make out a small engraving that says "For Q'sarm, I shall stand"

- If ever prone or kneeling you can stand as a swift action without provoking any attacks of opportunity
- +10 to any checks when resisting a trip attempt
- 1/per day if reduced to 0hp or lower (without dying) you immediately restore to 1hp

The Bloodthirsty Mage
(ring)
Ordinarily looks like plain black ring made of onyx.
But when shone in the right light, you can see an inexplicable red shimmer within the ring.

- When the wearer kills an enemy with a damage dealing spell, the next spell they cast has an effective caster level of +1
(This effect does not stack if multiple enemies are killed)

eggynack
2013-08-17, 10:22 PM
I dunno about the other ones, but the first item basically already exists. It's called the blindfold of true darkness, and it's in the Magic Item Compendium, page 75. It's 9,000 GP, and it gives you blindsight out to 30 feet, in exchange for the ability to see stuff normally while you're wearing it. It's obviously not identical, but the principle holds between the items.

Splendor
2013-08-17, 11:50 PM
Sacrifice of Sight = Ranges are too powerful
Power of Hindsight = Too powerful when combined with DR
Robe of Fiery Warmth = I thought there was a Flame Cloak or something like this but couldn't find it.
Boots of the Elocator = Made a similar item myself (without the bonus to jump) and could levitate as a full round action.
Amulet of Q'sarm = Don't know why it has the healing.
The Bloodthirsty Mage = Why a weaker version of Death Knell?

Sacrifice of Sight = Blindfold of True Darkness + Tremorsense
Power of Hindsight = DR 2
Robe of Fiery Warmth = burning hands + Endure Elements + Resist Cold
Boots of the Elocator = Scorn Earth, an improved version of Drawmij’s Light Step
Amulet of Q'sarm = Boots of Agile Leaping (Medal of steadfast honor) + Greater Anchoring + Scarab of stabilization
The Bloodthirsty Mage = Weaker version of Death Knell

For a price range and spell's needed on each item.

Sacrifice of Sight = Blindsight, Tremorsense - 36,000gp.
Power of Hindsight = I don't know what spell - 10,000 (going off of adamantine)
Robe of Fiery Warmth = Burning Hands, Endure Elements, Resist energy - 25,000gp
Boots of the Elocator = Levitation - 7,500 gp (can't walk on liquids)
Amulet of Q'sarm = Cat's Grace, Bull’s Strength, Contingency, Cure Light Wounds - between 14,000 to 18,000
The Bloodthirsty Mage = Death Knell - 4,000 gp

Unbalanced
2013-08-18, 04:28 AM
Power of Hindsight = Too powerful when combined with DR
DR shouldn't effect it. If you have DR, then you will take less damage to start with. You must be hurt 3hp or more, if you're hit for 4hp but have DR 2, then you will only take 2hp and the circlet's power won't activate.

Also, a very important part of it is the fact that the hp does initially get lost, and then recovered. So, functions different to DR.

Amulet of Q'sarm = Don't know why it has the healing
You get hit hard, knocked down to -5hp. The enemy smugly laughs thinking he's been victorious. Next round you revive to 1hp, stand up swiftly and clobber him in the head with your mace/axe/sword, winning the battle!
Because, for Q'Sarm, you shall stand! :P

The Bloodthirsty Mage = Why a weaker version of Death Knell?
Except the beauty of it is you don't need to cast a spell or touch anyone to activate this power. You kill something. It just happens.

Splendor
2013-08-18, 05:16 AM
Power of Hindsight
I said this was too powerful if something has a DR because it stacks. You take 5 damage, DR reduces it to 3 and you then heal 1. Its effectively gives you a DR of 4 on any attack that deals more than 5 damage. (which most do)

Amulet of Q'sarm
I didn't think the healing fit with the avoiding trips and kip up. The ability is similar to the Renewal domain ability.

The Bloodthirsty Mage
I guess. I think 'Consumptive Field' would then be closer to the effect. Still has a save but you get +2 STR/death, +d8 Hp/death, +1 caster level/death (max 1/2 your caster level). But a continuous consumptive field item would be 224,000gp. But with the limited death knell ability I think 4,000gp is about right.

drack
2013-08-18, 02:25 PM
I'm gonna second that power of hindsight seems a bit much. Often healing items have limited uses or some active activation, or a limit/round. I've made characters even below level 10 where they have hundreds of attacks/round, that'd make you heal hundreds of damage. It's specialized against one type of attack which is fine, but I'd still probably put a hard cap (say 50 points), and probably a high number of limited uses/day and swift action activation.

Also just a warning but I see some damnably dangerous combos with this one, especially when you get into the tricks to benefit multiple times from items that take the same slot.

Robe of Fiery Warmth: cold immunity?

Slight levitation: there's a spell for this for mounts, that may help you price it.

Amulet of Q'sarm: look at ring of nine lives in magic item compendium

The Bloodthirsty Mage: sounds more like death knell then consumptive field splendor. Anywho sounds nifty :smallbiggrin: Could probably pull it off for only a couple thousand gold too since it's a conditional +1CL item, and +1CL items are relatively cheep.

aleucard
2013-08-18, 09:11 PM
Sacrifice of Sight
(mask)
A thin, metallic face mask which has no eyeholes.
Though it has no strings or methods to attach, when raised to one's face it sits firm.
When worn the mask has a very pale white glow.

- Wearer becomes blind.
- Grants wearer Blindsense and Tremorsense (90ft) This is too much, drop it to 60' at most, more probably 45 or 30.
- Produces a cone of dim light (10ft) I don't get it. Any particular reason for turning the wearer's face into a flashlight? The only character that'd notice is the sneaky guy, and he'd never be stupid enough to trade his sight (AKA his precision damage & ability to hit in the first place) unless if he had some means of doing the job otherwise.
- Putting on or removing the mask takes 1 round for your senses to readjust

Power of Hindsight
(circlet)
A narrow golden band which fits around one's head.
It is very finely patterned with small engravings of eyes.

- When hurt 3hp or more with a single attack, regain 2hp the following round
(These stack if you take more than 1 attack in a round) Looks like a poor man's DR. the way it's put together guarantees damage being taken unlike normal DR, though the fact that it's healing means that it deals with bleed effects nicely. Seems like its use would drop off quickly once out of the lowbie range and some serious head slot gear is available.

Boots of the Elocator
(boots)
A very heavy and solid pair of dark brown boots.
They are clearly worn and look like they need repairs.

- These boots never touch the ground You still take fall damage as normal, right? Otherwise this would be a bit much, and probably nullify monks even more than they are already.
- Wearer floats about an inch above the ground at all times (even if they don't want to)
- Wearer takes no penalty when walking across uneven surfaces
- Wearer gains +10 on any balance or jump checks

Amulet of Q'sarm
(amulet)
A large gold pendant scored with a million scratches.
Whatever symbol was once engraved on its face is now undistiguishable through all the scratch marks.
On the back, through some more scratches, you can make out a small engraving that says "For Q'sarm, I shall stand"

- If ever prone or kneeling you can stand as a swift action without provoking any attacks of opportunity
- +10 to any checks when resisting a trip attempt
- 1/per day if reduced to 0hp or lower (without dying) you immediately restore to 1hp Maybe make this a Fort or Will check depending on the amount and type of damage that does this....

The Bloodthirsty Mage
(ring)
Ordinarily looks like plain black ring made of onyx.
But when shone in the right light, you can see an inexplicable red shimmer within the ring.

- When the wearer kills an enemy with a damage dealing spell, the next spell they cast has an effective caster level of +1
(This effect does not stack if multiple enemies are killed) While it being permanent as long as the ring's equipped is nice, the actual benefit is far from worth the ring slot once a wider selection becomes available. It's not liable to come up too often anyway for non-Mailmen, thanks to most spells either being indirect damage or too slow damage to have a guaranteed killshot without one of the beats- er, 'melee combatants' softening the target up a bit.

My additions and thoughts are bold and italicized. Please keep in mind that my experience in 3.5 is limited, however.

drack
2013-08-18, 09:19 PM
"I don't get it. Any particular reason for turning the wearer's face into a flashlight? The only character that'd notice is the sneaky guy, and he'd never be stupid enough to trade his sight (AKA his precision damage & ability to hit in the first place) unless if he had some means of doing the job otherwise. "
A wise fighter once said: "Fire will get you killed down here. Try this."

Anywho +CL items can be nice for some characters, and often have a limitation.

aleucard
2013-08-18, 09:42 PM
"I don't get it. Any particular reason for turning the wearer's face into a flashlight? The only character that'd notice is the sneaky guy, and he'd never be stupid enough to trade his sight (AKA his precision damage & ability to hit in the first place) unless if he had some means of doing the job otherwise. "
A wise fighter once said: "Fire will get you killed down here. Try this."

Anywho +CL items can be nice for some characters, and often have a limitation.

He's already blind, what use does he have for light? Sure it might be useful if he's with the group to a heavily limited degree, but at levels where this is appropriate any group with a caster would have at least access to light and probably continual flame to boot. Distance of the illumination AND conditions of it lighting up are both better with either option, also.

drack
2013-08-18, 10:07 PM
No need to be silly and pretend you don't understand. Light helps you see, but it also gives you away. Something that blinds you and lets you see another way lets you see in such a situation without casting that light spell or lighting that torch either of which would get you killed.

eggynack
2013-08-18, 10:18 PM
No need to be silly and pretend you don't understand. Light helps you see, but it also gives you away. Something that blinds you and lets you see another way lets you see in such a situation without casting that light spell or lighting that torch either of which would get you killed.
What are you talking about? The light isn't helping this fellow see at all. He sees because he has blindsense and tremorsense. The light is completely and utterly irrelevant, because our hero will be completely and utterly blind while he's using it, and the light does nothing to alleviate that. The senses don't rely on light, so it wouldn't even be that helpful if he could see it. The only utility is that it can help your party members see, and the downside is that other people can see you better.

Unbalanced
2013-08-18, 10:19 PM
I don't get it. Any particular reason for turning the wearer's face into a flashlight? The only character that'd notice is the sneaky guy, and he'd never be stupid enough to trade his sight (AKA his precision damage & ability to hit in the first place) unless if he had some means of doing the job otherwise.

The idea is that its an unavoidable result of wearing (and, in turn) activating the item. Whether this is helpful or a burden, its just how the item operates.
It could be handy for some other party members to help them see or it could be a complete catastrophe and reveal your position to your enemies.
Its entirely up to the owner of the mask when he/she wears it and the light is a factor that he/she should take into consideration.

drack
2013-08-18, 10:25 PM
Oh my, you're not joking. :smalleek:

You asked when one would want to trade sight for something that doesn't require light, I gave you a scenario in which the item is useful. Hopefully this is keeping it dim enough to avoid detection. If you want to mute it, toss a dark cloth over it. The light is just an extra.

eggynack
2013-08-18, 10:34 PM
Oh my, you're not joking. :smalleek:

You asked when one would want to trade sight for something that doesn't require light, I gave you a scenario in which the item is useful. Hopefully this is keeping it dim enough to avoid detection. If you want to mute it, toss a dark cloth over it. The light is just an extra.
The item is perfectly useful. The light is not. The character who is wearing the blindfold actually gains zero utility from the light, unless there's some kinda puzzle that requires shining lights at an array of mirrors. As for whether I would purchase this item, or any of these items, it obviously depends on price. None of these items are actually overpowered or underpowered, because you can get just about any sort of power from items if you pay enough.

drack
2013-08-18, 11:02 PM
The rest of the party mate.

eggynack
2013-08-18, 11:18 PM
The rest of the party mate.
I mentioned that very thing in my post. It's probably a drawback in general, given that you're already seeing things at a decent distance, and this effect cuts off your ability to see without being seen.

drack
2013-08-18, 11:48 PM
Minimizes, it does mention dimness. With you rogue, strap a bandana on, with my fighter, the party an see, and won't be as easy to spot.

Unbalanced
2013-08-19, 03:01 AM
Its just fluff.
Its not intended to be beneficial or a disadvantage to anyone.
Depending on the circumstance it could be either... Or both.