PDA

View Full Version : Nine-Tails (3.5)

LordErebus12
2013-08-18, 01:25 AM
Anyone ever thought of making a nine-tailed fox? i'm talking about a non-naruto universe one.

Arcanist
2013-08-18, 03:54 AM
Anyone ever thought of making a nine-tailed fox? i'm talking about a non-naruto universe one.

I did! and I'm gonna work on it now! so brb :smallbiggrin:

Nine Tailed Fox

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/046/4/5/Nine_Tail_Demon_Fox_The_Kyubi_by_hannibalcsaba.jpg
Image by hannibalcsaba (http://hannibalcsaba.deviantart.com/)

A Kumiho, or Fox Spirit is a creature that has existed in our world since the days of antiquity. Legend has it that the Kumiho is a mighty creature of unfathomable power and grows a new tail as it's power grows.

The Kumiho's ability scores vary with it's age categories and as well as it's level adjustment (see below).
Medium: As Medium sized creatures, Kumihos have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Kumiho's base land speed is 40ft
Alternate form: Kumihos, from the time of their birth, are able to alter their form to appear as a more appealing race. This varies from culture to culture, but generally they can only move 30ft per round and are medium sized.
Bite: The Kumiho, while in their natural form, possess a Bite attack that deals 1d6 damage plus the Kumiho's strength modifier.
Claw: The Kumiho, while in their natural form, possess a Claw attack that deals 1d4 damage plus the Kumiho's strength modifier.
Spell-Like Abilities: The Kumiho may cast Silent Image once per day.
Beauty in the Illusion (Ex): Kumiho that choose to become Wizards specialized in Illusion can use their Charisma modifier in place of their Intelligence modifier to determine the DC for their spells and the highest level spell they can cast.
Tailed Progression: When a Kumiho is born, it possess a single tail, however every 125 years it grows a new tail and improves it's rank as a Kumiho (see below).

Rank
1 Tail: +2 Cha; No Salient Abilities
2 Tails: +2 Wis, +4 Cha; No Salient Abilities
3 Tails: +2 Dex, +2 Wis, +4 Cha; No Salient Abilities
4 Tails: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Wis, +6 Cha; No Salient Abilities
5 Tails: +2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Wis, +6 Cha; DR 5/Magic; 1 Salient Ability.
6 Tails: +4 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Wis, +8 Cha; DR 10/Magic; 2 Salient Abilities.
7 Tails: +4 Str, +2 Con, +6 Dex, +6 Wis, +8 Cha; DR 15/Magic and Cold Iron; 3 Salient Abilities.
8 Tails: +6 Str, +2 Con, +6 Dex, +8 Wis, +10 Cha; DR 20/Magic and Cold Iron; 4 Salient Abilities.
9 Tails: +6 Str, +4 Con, +8 Dex, +8 Wis, +10 Cha; DR 25/Epic and Cold Iron; 5 Salient Abilities.

Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Undercommon, Celestial, Halfling
Favored Class: Illusionist.
Level adjustment +0 + 1 per rank with an additional +1 for every rank after 5th

Salient Abilities

1,000 year Curse
It is said that touching a Kumiho's tails will result in a curse that last 1,000 years.
Benefits: Upon grappling a Kumiho, you are treated as having received a Greater Bestow Curse casted at the Kumiho's HD. The Kumiho may focus this ability upon a singular target that has dealt damage to it as a move action. The targeted creature must be within the Kumiho's line of sight for this ability to be used. This effect last for 1,000 years or until the creatures death, whichever happens first.

Arcane Augmentation
Spells casted by a Kumiho can yield highly destructive results, when concentrated upon.
Benefits: When a Kumiho cast a spell, it may take an additional number of rounds equal to the spell level of the Spell you are attempting to casting to sacrifice an additional spell slot each round and increase the caster level of the spell you are trying to cast equal to the minimum caster level of the spell slot you sacrifice.

Augmented Reality
The Kumiho can rip Illusions right out of the Plane of Shadow to create Illusions so real that creatures can feel themselves being harmed by them.
Prerequisites: 8 tails or greater, 24th level Wizard specialized in Illusion, Spell Focus (Illusion), Greater Spell Focus (Illusion), Epic Spell Focus (Illusion), Subjective Reality.
Benefits: Spells with the Figment descriptor that the Kumiho cast as either Spell-Like abilities or as spells gain the Shadow descriptor. Shadow spells gain a +20% bonus to their reality and gain an additional +10% if used to replicate spells of the Conjuration or Evocation school to a maximum of 100%. It gains the ability to use Major Image as a Spell-Like ability at will.

Fictional Reality
The Illusions of the Kumiho are legendary to the point where philosophers question whether or not they exist in a Kumiho's Illusion or if reality is really real.
Prerequisites: 9 tails or greater, 28th level Wizard specialized in Illusion, Spell Focus (Illusion), Greater Spell Focus (Illusion), Epic Spell Focus (Illusion), Subjective Reality, Augmented Reality.
Benefits: Shadow spells that the Kumiho cast are now treated as being 100% real. It gains the ability to use Project Image as a Spell-Like ability at will.

Fox Fire
The flames produced by a Fox spirit are hot enough to turn the entire ocean into steam
Prerequisites: 7 tails or greater, 18th level Sorcerer
Benefits: The Kumiho is legendary for it's ability to cause and create flames from nothing. These flames deal 2d6 damage for every rank that it possess and function like a Disintegrate spell casted at the Kumiho's HD.

Mythic Lore
The Kumiho is a legendary figure that appears across a number of cultures and it is familiar with other legends as well.
Benefits: The Kumiho can perform a special mythic lore check pertaining to the topic of Spirits, Magical Creatures, Mythic Locations or Legendary items with a bonus equal to the Kumiho's HD and Intelligence modifier. If the Kumiho has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (Arcane), it gains a +2 bonus on this check (increasing to a +4 bonus with 25 ranks, +6 with 45, and so on).

A successful mythic lore check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. The Kumiho may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.

{table=head]DC| Type of Knowledge
10|The difference between a Griffin and Hippogriff
20|The life and times of a particular fey
30|The favored nesting locations of powerful creatures like the Tarrasque[/table]

A Kumiho may also find out the True name of a particularly noteworthy magical creature; this requires a check against a DC of 10 + twice the being's HD.

Subjective Reality
The Kumiho are said to possess skills in Illusion beyond the comprehension of the mortal mind.
Prerequisites: 7 tails or greater, 20th level Wizard specialized in Illusion, Spell Focus (Illusion), Greater Spell Focus (Illusion).
Benefits: The Kumiho can spontaneously cast any Illusion spell they know by "losing" any spell they prepared of the same level or lower. It gains the ability to use Minor Image and Silent Image as a Spell-Like ability at will.

Improved Spell-Like Abilities
A lesser Kumiho's inherent spellcasting is nothing in comparison to a greater Kumiho.
Benefits: The Kumiho gains Mislead, Veil, Bestow Curse and Baleful Polymorph 3/day and gain Meteor Swarm, Greater Invisibility, and Shade 1/day as Spell-like abilities.
Special: A Kumiho may select this Salient ability more than once with each taking of this ability granting more uses of each Spell-Like ability.

Notes: I feel that I should have made this more high powered... I decided to just make it a playable creature since I thought that is what you wanted and I was dumb enough to note actually refresh the thread when you posted :smallfrown:

As far as making a monster stat block, I'm admittedly not very good at those :smallredface:

LordErebus12
2013-08-18, 04:15 AM
this is what i came up with, but it's not finished yet. i cannot seem to get around to finishing it.

Nine-Tailed Fox
http://i.imgur.com/D5bgbkz.jpg

Creature's Name: Nine-Tailed Fox
Size and Type: Large Elemental (Air, Fire)
Hit Dice: 16d8+64, ( hp)
Initiative: +17
Speed: 50 ft. (10 Squares)
Armor Class: 27, Touch 22, Flat-Footed 27 (+4 Luck, +9 Dex, +5 Natural, -1 Size)
BAB/Grapple: +12/+19
Primary Attack: Bite +20 melee (1d8+3)
Secondary Attack: Claw +20 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: One bite +20 melee (1d8+3) and two claws +20 melee (1d6+1).
Space/Reach: 10 ft. / 10 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce
Special Qualities: Aura of Fortune 30 ft., Elemental Traits, Immunity to Fire, Uncanny Dodge
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +22, Will +12
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 29, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 14
Skills: Balance ranks (+), Bluff ranks (+), Hide ranks (+), Intimidate ranks (+), Jump ranks + speed bonus (+), Knowledge (arcane) ranks (+), Knowledge (nature) ranks (+), Knowledge (the planes) ranks (+), Listen ranks (+), Move Silently ranks (+), Spot ranks (+), and Survival ranks (+).
Feats: Improved Initiative, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Control Winds), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Fire Shield), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Fire Shield), Weapon Finesse (Claws), and Weapon Focus (Bite).
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Advancement: 17-34 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: –––

The nine-tailed fox speak Auran and Ignan, but fully understand Common and Undercommon.

Combat

Aura of Fortune (Su):
The nine-tailed fox radiates an intense aura of luck, manifesting as a mostly transparent aura that moves as if it were made of fire. While this does not deal damage directly, it grants all friendly creatures within a 30 ft. range (including the nine-tailed fox itself) with a luck bonus equal to the nine-tailed fox’s racial level, divided by four. This luck bonus applies to all ability checks, armor class, all attack rolls, all initiative checks, and all saving throws.

Elemental Traits:
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.
Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
Unlike most other living creatures, an elemental does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an elemental is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an elemental. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life.
Proficient with natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Elementals not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Elementals are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
Elementals do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Spell-Like Abilities: (Caster level 16th (+2 CL higher if it has the air or fire descriptor); Cha-based)
1/Day – Fire Storm (DC 19), Incendiary Cloud (DC 20), Whirlwind (DC 20)
3/Day – Crushing Despair (DC 16), Greater Command (DC 17), Flame Strike (DC 16), Quickened Control Winds, Quickened Gust of Wind (DC 14), Quickened Fire Shield
At Will – Air Walk, Command (DC 13), Control Winds (DC 17), Fireball (DC 15), Gust of Wind (DC 14)

Arcanist
2013-08-18, 05:52 AM
Edited my comment to show what I came up with... Short notice and all that. I'm trying to get into the idea of making templates and races that can scale into epic so tell me what you think :smallsigh:

Arcanist
2013-08-18, 06:30 AM
and just like that, you misses the whole point and posts something naruto related... sadness. :smallsigh:

Before I go off, I've just got to ask: Have you actually read the manga? Just because I used artwork referencing Naruto, does not mean this is based off of Naruto. In fact, I made it a goal to not reference Naruto at all in it's abilities. If I made any universe specific references, please point them out so I can address them.

I tried to base it off the original mythos of the Nine-Tailed Fox, however because so many Asian cultures have their own version of image of the creature, I can't fairly make it a singular template with set in stone abilities (I used the Korean name for it) so I decided to experiment with the Dicefreak Template method where it was based off of rank and granted salient abilities as well.

LordErebus12
2013-08-18, 08:31 AM
Before I go off, I've just got to ask: Have you actually read the manga? Just because I used artwork referencing Naruto, does not mean this is based off of Naruto. In fact, I made it a goal to not reference Naruto at all in it's abilities. If I made any universe specific references, please point them out so I can address them.

I tried to base it off the original mythos of the Nine-Tailed Fox, however because so many Asian cultures have their own version of image of the creature, I can't fairly make it a singular template with set in stone abilities (I used the Korean name for it) so I decided to experiment with the Dicefreak Template method where it was based off of rank and granted salient abilities as well.

first off, no. i did not read the manga. watched the show in japanese dubs all the way through to current shippuden.

i take back what i said before, despite it being playable (something i dont care for conceptually), i was wrong. seeing the photo and LA, with tailed progression, i thought it was referencing naruto's slow progression of gaining tails over time in battle.

Having read it more thoroughly, i can now see i was wrong about that assumption. I do apologize. Im gonna chalk it up to me being minorly sleep deprived at the time of last posting, my brain was not working correctly.

I do like what you have done. let me look it over, see if i cannot somehow mesh together a stat-block with what you have made.

Question? is any of what i created for it worth its weight in salt?

the spell like abilities, special abilities and type and subtype?

Arcanist
2013-08-18, 04:33 PM
*snip*

Question? is any of what i created for it worth its weight in salt?

the spell like abilities, special abilities and type and subtype?

It's all good, we all get a little sleepy sometimes.

Of course what you made is worth it's weight in salt. The SLA capture the creatures ability with magic and mastery over the elements quite well. I'm not done making the Salient Abilities however. I wanted to give the creature more starting SLA, however I feel that having Silent Image 1/day is good enough for it to still be playable.

I will note that the Elemental type is a little strange since the 9-tailed fox is considered a Fey or an Outsider of some sorts. I think I forgot to give my version the Fey type (which would make it a Spirit). Supposedly the 9-tailed fox is supposed to be able to transform into a beautiful female and capture the hearts of men to lure them to their doom, so granting the creature a higher Charisma and the Alternate form ability would be perfectly fine.

LordErebus12
2013-08-18, 06:25 PM
I will note that the Elemental type is a little strange since the 9-tailed fox is considered a Fey or an Outsider of some sorts. I think I forgot to give my version the Fey type (which would make it a Spirit). Supposedly the 9-tailed fox is supposed to be able to transform into a beautiful female and capture the hearts of men to lure them to their doom, so granting the creature a higher Charisma and the Alternate form ability would be perfectly fine.

Elementals are considered spirits too.

Arcanist
2013-08-18, 08:34 PM
Elementals are considered spirits too.

OH... Well nevermind then... :smallconfused:

Debihuman
2013-08-19, 02:48 AM
Elemental creatures are generally Extraplanar and with Air and Fire subtypes it makes it sound like these originate on the Paraelemental Plane of Smoke since it has both Air and Fire subtypes. If you lose the air subtype, Environment would be Elemental Plane of Fire. Outsiders and Elementals have their home plane listed as their environment and so would have the Extraplanar subtype as well.

Air Subtype: This subtype usually is used for elementals and outsiders with a connection to the Elemental Plane Air. Air creatures always have fly speeds and usually have perfect maneuverability. Flight is usually double land speed so this should have Fly 100 ft. (perfect) in addition to its land speed (even if it never uses it).

Fire Subtype: A creature with the fire subtype has immunity to fire. It has vulnerability to cold, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

It should have Cold Vulnerability as well listed in Special Abilities as well as Darkvision 60 ft.

It has 136 hit points too. It only has 19 skill ranks (Int 8). It should probably have a lot fewer skills since it currently has 12. It has 1 rank in each skill and 2 ranks in 7 of them. I recommend changing its skills so that it has no Int-based skills since it will take a -1 to those.

With 6 skills it has 3 ranks in each and put an extra in Move Silently. This gives you the following: Balance +12,, Jump +20, Listen +8, Move Silently +13, Spot ranks +8, Survival +8.

It is too stupid to have 4 languages. It should have only Auran and Ignan as racial languages since it has Int 8.

Flat-footed AC is 18.

Reflex save is 23 not 22. 10 base for HD + 9 for Dex +4 for luck.

Aura of Luck is worded awkwardly.

Aura of Fortune (Su): The nine-tailed fox's aura of luck grants all friendly creatures within a 30 ft. range (including the nine-tailed fox itself) a luck bonus equal to one quarter of the nine-tailed fox’s Hit Dice. This luck bonus applies to ability checks, armor class, attack rolls, initiative checks, and saving throws.

If the aura is transparent nobody will know what it looks like any way. Avoid unnecessary text. If you want to put in description, put that information in the creature's description but it doesn't belong in the special ability text.

Description: A nine-tailed fox is mottled gray and black and tinged with blood. They are about 3 feet tall and 9 feet long, weighing some 800 pounds. Its eyes glow a malicious red and it is surrounded by a shimmering glow.

The nine-tailed fox speaks Auran and Ignan.

Debby

Fearan
2013-08-20, 02:41 AM
Do you look for a playable fox, a monster fox, or a "outsider servant of a deity" fox?