PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Languages?

Kafana
2013-08-18, 02:04 AM
I was wondering what do bonus languages stand for?

You start with one or two languages (common + racial) and a number of languages equal to your int modifier. Can these languages only be taken from the Bonus Language list for your character?

I know you can "buy" additional languages via skill points and I know how pretty much everything works. I'm just not sure what the list of bonus languages stands for, if you can simply speak any language via skill points.

If the bonus language list is tied with your Int modifier bonus for languages, what happens if your int modifier is higher than the bonus language list?

Also, while I realize you get a number of additional languages based on your Int modifier at level 1, what happens if you are starting a campaign as level 4, and your ability upgrade went to Int, increasing the modifier? Do you get an additional language?

Sith_Happens
2013-08-18, 02:21 AM
You start with one or two languages (common + racial) and a number of languages equal to your int modifier. Can these languages only be taken from the Bonus Language list for your character?

Correct. Bonus languages must be chosen from the list specified in your character's race description, as possibly modified by their first level class.

I know you can "buy" additional languages via skill points and I know how pretty much everything works. I'm just not sure what the list of bonus languages stands for, if you can simply speak any language via skill points.

"Bonus languages" refers only to those languages gained as a result of your Intelligence modifier at first level, which must be chosen from a specific list (though for some races that list is simply "Any"). Languages obtained via the Speak Language skill are subject to no such restrictions (except that you can't pick Druidic).

If the bonus language list is tied with your Int modifier bonus for languages, what happens if your int modifier is higher than the bonus language list?

You get all of those languages and the extra points of Intelligence bonus are wasted.

Also, while I realize you get a number of additional languages based on your Int modifier at level 1, what happens if you are starting a campaign as level 4, and your ability upgrade went to Int, increasing the modifier? Do you get an additional language?

No. Use your ability modifier as it was at first level with no items to determine how many bonus languages you receive.

Khedrac
2013-08-18, 04:39 AM
If the bonus language list is tied with your Int modifier bonus for languages, what happens if your int modifier is higher than the bonus language list?Ask your DM, there may be campaign setting additions to the list (i.e. languages of nearby regions).

Splendor
2013-08-18, 06:09 AM
Humans & Half-Elves get 'Bonus Languages: Any'

and you get some bonus languages based on class: (PHB 12)
Cleric: Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal.
Druid: Sylvan.
Wizard: Draconic.

Most races get 5-6 bonus languages, I guess if you're starting INT is above 22 it might be a problem.