PDA

View Full Version : Broken Images across the site

Auroch
2013-08-18, 03:27 AM
I'm getting almost all images showing up broken, across the whole site. Forum images, the comic, the icon for RSS Feeds. The top and left bars, and the icons above the top of the comic, show up fine, as do avatars and sig images other than emoticons (and other images hosted on giantitp.com, such as http://www.giantitp.com/avatars/staff/rawhide.jpg in Rawhide's sig).

I suspect this is related to caching, as I can follow the links and get the image on a separate page (which is how I have been reading the comics). Additionally, immediately after viewing the comic on it's own page, if I go to the page, the image stays loaded properly until I refresh.

Windows 7 SP1, Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m, Adblock Plus installed but disabled, ScriptSafe installed but all scripts for the site allowed.

Rawhide
2013-08-18, 04:53 AM
You can try clearing your cache and seeing if that fixes it, but I suspect you may have blocked images from this site. Does it work in a different browser?

Auroch
2013-08-19, 04:52 PM
You can try clearing your cache and seeing if that fixes it, but I suspect you may have blocked images from this site. Does it work in a different browser?

I checked, it works in Firefox. Chrome has no way to disable images without extensions, and other than Adblock I have no extensions which could do that (and as mentioned, this happens whether or not adblock is enabled on Giantitp), so that's extremely unlikely. Tested cache clear, it has no effect. While I was at it, took the Chrome Web Help advice and tested Incognito mode

Any other ideas?

Rawhide
2013-08-19, 05:56 PM
Try this? (http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20086197-285/how-to-hide-images-on-specific-sites-in-chrome/)

Auroch
2013-08-19, 06:12 PM
Nothing there, and it says I have all images enabled. I have an Opt-Out extension but I don't see any reason that should have an effect.

Are you sure the problem isn't on your end? If this is affecting only a small group of users, they might not be notifying you because it makes the forum difficult to use.

Rawhide
2013-08-19, 07:26 PM
The site works fine here in Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and in Safari on iOS. The site works fine there on Firefox, no one else has reported the issue, here or by email. Yes, I'm pretty sure it is a problem with your browser or extensions...

NerdyKris
2013-08-19, 07:46 PM
Nothing there, and it says I have all images enabled. I have an Opt-Out extension but I don't see any reason that should have an effect.

Are you sure the problem isn't on your end? If this is affecting only a small group of users, they might not be notifying you because it makes the forum difficult to use.

Have you tried disabling that extension anyways and seeing if that works?

Auroch
2013-08-21, 06:52 AM
That, also, has no effect.

The thing is, this is specific to this website; no other vBulletin forum is affected. If it was on my end, it would be present in more places. Maybe I'm an uncommon edge case, but I'm increasingly confident it's a problem with the site architecture rather than my browser setup.

Rawhide
2013-08-21, 07:01 AM
And I'm certain that it is not.

You should try uninstalling all extensions, not just disabling them. If that doesn't work, uninstall Chrome completely and reinstall the latest version.

Rawhide
2013-08-21, 08:25 AM
Ok, just for you, I've now tried it on the following systems and browsers (all latest versions):

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
Safari
Opera
Opera Mobile Emulator
Google Chrome
SRWare Iron
Firefox

Windows 8
Internet Explorer
Opera
Google Chrome
SRWare Iron
Firefox

iOS 6
Safari
Google Chrome
Opera Mini

No issues detected, all images loaded fine.

In addition, approximately 30% of our visitors use Chrome, and not one other person has reported the same issue here, in PM, or email.

SMEE
2013-08-21, 08:42 AM
And I just tested it with Chrome running under Windows 7 Home Pro with SP1 and all the images have loaded properly on my end.

DeusMortuusEst
2013-08-21, 12:06 PM
Interestingly enough I get a similar error. See screenshots below.

http://s13.postimg.org/4iv96t62f/giantitp_Error.png

http://s22.postimg.org/6ynlk4iep/giantitp_Error2.png

These are from loading this thread at two different occasions.

That happens when running Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m on Win 7 Professional x64 with service pack 1.

When using IE I don't get the same error, the page loads just fine.

I have tried clearing the cache and I don't have images hidden for any site.

I'll try to update Chrome to the latest version and see if that helps.

EDIT: Updating did not help, now running Chrome 29.0.1547.57 m.

EDIT2: Sometimes the page loads properly. The times it doesn't it takes a noticeably longer time to load and I often get a 'could not connect to giantitp.com' message and have to reload, whereupon the page will load but a lot of images will be missing.

I have been running a few connection tests and everything seems stable from this end. Here are some ping statistics, the first one towards giantitp, the other is towards google.com.
Ping statistics for 141.101.117.40:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 99, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 34ms, Average = 29ms

Ping statistics for 109.105.109.227:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 98, Lost = 2 (2% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 4ms

It should be noted that the google.com server that I pinged is based in Sweden as far as I can tell, which would explain the lower round-trip time.

Saraquin
2013-09-01, 06:54 PM
Hi all,

I also see this bug.

For example
http://saraquin.com/files/OOTS_noimage.jpg

and
http://saraquin.com/files/OOTS_noimage2.jpg

My cause was an add-on called ScriptSafe (Malicious script blocker)

Sadly even with the whole domain flagged as trusted the images were still getting blocked. They only became viewable when the add-on was disabled.

This seemed to have kicked in a few weeks ago and I can only assume it was with a ScriptSafe update.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Rawhide
2013-09-01, 07:14 PM
Saraquin: Most odd. You should report it to ScriptSafe as a bug. There is absolutely no script running on the image (inside the page or on its own), and the only script on the page provides the hover colour changes for the side menu.

We do have hotlinking prevention in place. It may be that ScriptSafe is preventing your browser from returning giantitp.com as your referrer when accessing the image. Though, that doesn't explain why some of the images show and the others don't.