PDA

View Full Version : [pf] ranged attacks treated like spells and defensive casting?

Ryulin18
2013-08-18, 04:34 AM
I've been playing with this idea for a while and now hand it to you glorious people to tear into.

Spellcasters have a dc check to cast with allowing attacks of opportunity. Why are ranged attacks (bows, throwing knives) not allowed this too? Would it be breaking to allow the ranger a concentration check based off something like dex+bab? Or make a class skill to fire under pressure?

TuggyNE
2013-08-18, 05:12 AM
I've been playing with this idea for a while and now hand it to you glorious people to tear into.

Spellcasters have a dc check to cast with allowing attacks of opportunity. Why are ranged attacks (bows, throwing knives) not allowed this too? Would it be breaking to allow the ranger a concentration check based off something like dex+bab? Or make a class skill to fire under pressure?

No, it wouldn't break anything. WotC and Paizo just hate non-magical characters, and even those who rightly decry their caster favoritism usually give no thought to the plight of the archer/thrower/crossbowman. It's a crying shame, is what it is.

Thanatosia
2013-08-18, 06:54 AM
Spellcasters have a dc check to cast with allowing attacks of opportunity. Why are ranged attacks (bows, throwing knives) not allowed this too?
I think the intent was to keep ranged weapons as ranged weapons, not just standing toe to toe with your opponent firing arrows point blank. Casting had to be handled differently because, while casters are optimal at range, there are a number of spells specifically designed to be used at melee range - and switching to a melee weapon is usually a significaly more viable option for a ranged weapon class (wich probably has much higher BAB, less armor restrictions, and higher hp) then it is for a caster.