PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Weapons

Eddie
2013-08-18, 07:06 AM
So I got 2 questions 1 being this I have allowed my group to choose items from 3.5 books one of them have decided to get a Weighted Great sword ( and made it 1 size higher making it Large ) using monkey grip to wield it. Its also made from Laminated Steel, with Serrated edge. Then enchanted it +1 and also Keen..

So as this stands at 3d8 damage 14-20 x3 critical with +3 extra damage and +1 to attack rolls before his Strength and Base Attack bonus

Weighted great sword 2d8 Large 18-20

1 size category 3d8 18-20
Laminated steel +1 damage x1 critical multiplier +5 hardness
Serrated Steel drops critical bonus by 1
Keen drops its from 18-20 to 15-20
Magical +1 obviously +1 attack roll and Damage rolls

Is this all correct and fine for 3.5 ?? A tadge complicated lol

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-18, 07:08 AM
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7066/6kxj.jpg
MONKEY GRIP DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Unless he's Large, Monkey Grip will do absolutely nothing when he tries to wield a Huge sword.

For that matter, it also does absolutely nothing for two-handed weapons. No, ignore that, I read the 3e version.

Eddie
2013-08-18, 07:26 AM
The weapon is 2 handed and considered Large. But he has made it to huge. Monkey Grip allows him too use this back as a large weapon but as a -2 penalty too attacks rolls doesn't it??

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-18, 07:30 AM
The weapon is 2 handed and considered Large. But he has made it to huge. Monkey Grip allows him too use this back as a large weapon but as a -2 penalty too attacks rolls doesn't it??

The text for the 3.5 version of Monkey Grip:

Benefit
You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change. For instance, a Large longsword (a one-handed weapon for a Large creature) is considered a two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat, it is still considered a one-handed weapon. You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon.

Unless he's Large, Monkey Grip has no effect on Huge weapons.

Edit: Although... what book is Weighted from, exactly? I don't recognise that ability, so I might be missing something here.

Eddie
2013-08-18, 07:37 AM
Sorry I see what I done. Its not a huge but Large weapon..

Greatsword, weighted 2handed
80 gp
1d12
2d8
18-20/x2

12 lb.

Making it large makes it 3d8

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-18, 07:39 AM
Okay that makes more sense.

Carry on.

As for your first post... yes, that looks right. It might look powerful, but remember he needs to be able to hit to get a critical threat - if he can't hit with a 15, rolling a 15 won't be critical threat.

Eddie
2013-08-18, 07:56 AM
So yeah he has to hit with a 14-20 so as long as his Die shows 14+ its a possible critical.
But he has also gone toward half orc race and paragon half orc 3 / and fighter 3... So therefore giving him str +4 and free rage giving him another +4 str / +4 Con giving him huge attack bonuses and huge damage bonuses lol

molten_dragon
2013-08-18, 08:03 AM
So I got 2 questions 1 being this I have allowed my group to choose items from 3.5 books one of them have decided to get a Weighted Great sword ( and made it 1 size higher making it Large ) using monkey grip to wield it. Its also made from Laminated Steel, with Serrated edge. Then enchanted it +1 and also Keen..

So as this stands at 3d8 damage 14-20 x3 critical with +3 extra damage and +1 to attack rolls before his Strength and Base Attack bonus

Weighted great sword 2d8 Large 18-20

1 size category 3d8 18-20
Laminated steel +1 damage x1 critical multiplier +5 hardness
Serrated Steel drops critical bonus by 1
Keen drops its from 18-20 to 15-20
Magical +1 obviously +1 attack roll and Damage rolls

Is this all correct and fine for 3.5 ?? A tadge complicated lol

I probably wouldn't allow the 14-20 crit range, only 15-20. Serrated steel and laminated steel come from a 3rd party 3.0 sourcebook (IIRC) and in 3.0 you could stack multiple things that increased your crit range. 3.5 removed that, so the serrated steel probably shouldn't stack with keen.

Eddie
2013-08-18, 08:18 AM
So what exactly is out of 3.0 in those because I wanted to avoid playing anything other then 3.5v books

Eddie
2013-08-18, 08:46 AM
Oh just read also Serrated wont stack because the blade is already keen anyways and having a keen weapon does this

Multiple effects that increase a weapon’s threat range (such as the keen edge spell and the Improved Critical feat) don’t stack.

So therefore this weighted great sword is 18-20 Keen can only go too 15-20

relytdan
2013-08-18, 09:18 AM
yup serrated does not stack, and yes what source page is this weighted greatsword from?

JusticeZero
2013-08-18, 09:37 AM
Sorry I see what I done. Its not a huge but Large weapon..Isn't a greatsword for a Medium user already a Large weapon? That wording read like 3.0 to my eyes, and that's how weapons work in 3.0. 3.0 weapons are based on comparative size; if the weapon is 1 larger, it's a two hander only (eg: greatsword - L); same size is a one hander (eg: longsword - M), one or two sizes smaller are light weapons (eg: short sword - S, dagger, T). This also determined what weapons you used; if you're a halfling wielding a two handed sword, you are wielding a longsword, and if a Large ogre swashbuckler takes it away from you, she can use Weapon Finesse with it. This is why some of the different sized weapons exist. Then they had to make a size chart as people started scratching their heads trying to figure out what things the size of a jet airliner were swinging around.

Eddie
2013-08-18, 10:24 AM
http://kaos-incorporated.com/creepyguyinawhitevan/dnd/Weapons%20&%20Armor/D&D%203.5%20-%20Arms%20And%20Armor%20Revised.pdf

Arms and Armor revised v3.5 page 7 but I don't know what the front cover looks like its bugging me it says V3.5 yet all the books I see on ebay are 3.0

Eddie
2013-08-18, 10:25 AM
Isn't a greatsword for a Medium user already a Large weapon? That wording read like 3.0 to my eyes, and that's how weapons work in 3.0. 3.0 weapons are based on comparative size; if the weapon is 1 larger, it's a two hander only (eg: greatsword - L); same size is a one hander (eg: longsword - M), one or two sizes smaller are light weapons (eg: short sword - S, dagger, T). This also determined what weapons you used; if you're a halfling wielding a two handed sword, you are wielding a longsword, and if a Large ogre swashbuckler takes it away from you, she can use Weapon Finesse with it. This is why some of the different sized weapons exist. Then they had to make a size chart as people started scratching their heads trying to figure out what things the size of a jet airliner were swinging around.

This is why originally I thought he made it huge lol :) I had to edit the post.

Big Fau
2013-08-18, 02:52 PM
So what exactly is out of 3.0 in those because I wanted to avoid playing anything other then 3.5v books

Any 3.X material printed before 2003 is 3.0. If that material has been reprinted or given an official update, you have to use the updated version. However, there is a line in the DMG, PHB, and MM that says that anything that hasn't been updated for 3.5 is still compatible with 3.5.

That said, I'd steer clear of 3rd party sources entirely unless the publisher is well-known around the 'net for being good at balancing things (Dreamscared Press, for example).