PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Barbed Devil?

Mike Havran
2013-08-18, 11:41 AM
It is nowhere to be seen in #911. Did Durkula release him prior the contract's expiration so it doesn't disturb his allies? He could have helped with the search for V.

Kish
2013-08-18, 11:43 AM
It's in hammerspace with Mr. Scruffy.

Nimrod's Son
2013-08-18, 11:51 AM
"Hammerspace" is an extradimensional storage area for immediate access to large unweildy objects that the character was not previously seen carrying. Mr Scruffy and the devil are merely off-panel.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-18, 12:00 PM
It's probably looking for V already.

Kish
2013-08-18, 12:04 PM
"Hammerspace" is an extradimensional storage area for immediate access to large unweildy objects that the character was not previously seen carrying. Mr Scruffy and the devil are merely off-panel.
Are you suggesting that the barbed devil is not large, that the barbed devil is not unwieldy, or that Durkon's been carrying it from the first strip?

Nimrod's Son
2013-08-18, 12:10 PM
Are you suggesting that the devil is currently in another dimension, and if we zoomed out a bit he'd be nowhere to be seen? Or that Durkon's suddenly about to "weild" him from out of nowhere?

137beth
2013-08-18, 12:26 PM
Guys! The Barbed Devil is actually Laurin Shattersmith. Think about it: it disappears right when she shows up!

Bulldog Psion
2013-08-18, 12:27 PM
Hm, both the Barbed Devil and Mr. Scruffy are missing. Perhaps the devil is running in terror before the horror of the angry housecat? :smallbiggrin:

NerdyKris
2013-08-18, 12:42 PM
I would assume it's simply off panel, give that it's large and takes up a lot of space, and isn't relevent to the conversation going on.

Although speaking of V, they've now blown up the gate, had a battle with a sand elemental, and had time for an army to walk through a portal and circle the crater. Those twenty minutes should be up pretty soon.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-08-18, 02:29 PM
The Barbed Devil came from planar ally spell, such creatures are summoned for a task not a universal duration. If the task is finished early the creature gets to leave early.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-18, 02:30 PM
Maybe teleporting to a random spot in the desert or ocean and dumping Z's body there.

Demolator
2013-08-18, 03:16 PM
I'm guessing it saw Tarquin's army, knew it was probably getting in over its head, and ran away, pretending to be a cactus so nobody would notice it.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-18, 03:46 PM
The Barbed Devil is probably over by the craft services table, getting a quick tuna sandwich before his next scene. (Redcloak referred to the existence of the craft services table in his introduction to "OtOoPCs". Yay continuity! :smalltongue:)

137beth
2013-08-18, 04:52 PM
I would assume it's simply off panel, give that it's large and takes up a lot of space, and isn't relevent to the conversation going on.

But it is relevant: it is being introduced to Elan by Tarquin, and finishing teleporting an army!

SavageWombat
2013-08-18, 09:32 PM
Clearly it's busy spamming TV Guide entries into the Giant in the Playground forum.

F.Harr
2013-08-19, 03:23 PM
It is nowhere to be seen in #911. Did Durkula release him prior the contract's expiration so it doesn't disturb his allies? He could have helped with the search for V.

Bob Messershmit, the stunt-guy who plays the Devil, is visiting the honey-wagon.

dtilque
2013-08-19, 03:56 PM
We get a nice panoramic view of the OotS in panel 2 of #912. No Barbed Devil to be seen. So it's probably returned to its home plane.

However, there is a small something next to Belkar which I suspect is Mr Scruffy.

JSSheridan
2013-08-19, 05:49 PM
We get a nice panoramic view of the OotS in panel 2 of #912. No Barbed Devil to be seen. So it's probably returned to its home plane.

However, there is a small something next to Belkar which I suspect is Mr Scruffy.

Belkar's Small, so it's more like a Tiny something.

Scow2
2013-08-19, 09:06 PM
It's in hammerspace with Mr. Scruffy.
Correct. However, it's not necessarily "off-panel" either. There is ALSO the possibility that he and scruffy are in "The Horse Zone (http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=625)", much like where Blackwing spent much of his time, especially in the earlier parts of the comic. And of course, here's another famous example of The Horse Zone being forcibly handwaved. (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1273)

dtilque
2013-08-19, 09:20 PM
Belkar's Small, so it's more like a Tiny something.

Bring some crutches when you make that joke....

137beth
2013-08-19, 09:22 PM

See?!? More evidence that Larin and the barbed devil are one and the same! It disappeared just when she showed up.

Nimrod's Son
2013-08-19, 10:55 PM
There is ALSO the possibility that he and scruffy are in "The Horse Zone (http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=625)"
One glance at that page was enough to convince me that I didn't need to read any of the words written on it. :smalltongue: I find it much easier to assume that Mr Scruffy was just off-panel, which is proved by the latest comic anyway. I can only assume the devil did indeed pop back into "hammerspace", and Durkon will soon whip him out from under his beard and start bludgeoning everyone with him, to the surprise of everyone but Kish. :smallamused:

Synesthesy
2013-08-20, 01:30 PM
Hm, both the Barbed Devil and Mr. Scruffy are missing. Perhaps the devil is running in terror before the horror of the angry housecat? :smallbiggrin:

And we found out that the devil is a creeper (congratulation to everyone understand this :smallbiggrin:)

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-20, 02:55 PM
You guys do know that Barbed Devils can Greater Teleport (Sp) at will, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#barbedDevilHamatula) right? He probably popped over to Cliffport to grab a hamburger and a Coke, while all the roleplaying is going on. I'm sure that when Durkula negotiated his contract with the Barbed Devil, lunch breaks, pizza runs and going outside to smoke during excessive amounts of roleplaying, where in there somewhere.

In all seriousness, I have encountered a lot of players who are completely bored by roleplaying, or just aren't very good at it. One player in a "Star Wars: Saga Edition" campaign, would often go out of the GM's apartment to smoke during lulls in the game, or when there was intense roleplaying. Ironically, this particular player, although he loved the combat parts of the game, could not remember the rules to save his life. The GM forced the players to have flash cards, he had to prompt him to make attack rolls and then prompt him again to make damage rolls. And of course the player had no head for math, so even if he remembered to use Force Powers or Talents that granted him attack or damage bonuses, he'd forget to include them in his attack rolls.

And of course there was the player at a "Living Greyhawk" event I DM'ed, who felt the adventure had too much talking, too much investigating, and decided to have his PC walk out of a meeting... triggering a combat encounter.

Infinite
2013-08-20, 03:02 PM
And we found out that the devil is a creeper (congratulation to everyone understand this :smallbiggrin:)

Topped of by the fact that the Barbed devil looks a whole lot like cactus.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-20, 03:06 PM
Topped of by the fact that the Barbed devil looks a whole lot like cactus.

No, they look like bipedal porcupines. :smallbiggrin: