PDA

View Full Version : Spell Focus PrC?

Ruethgar
2013-08-18, 01:41 PM
Are there any PrCs, apart from the magic missle mage, that focus on a single or a few select spells?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-18, 01:47 PM
Mostly homebrew. I've made a couple, if you'd like me to link them.

A_S
2013-08-18, 01:58 PM
Shadowcraft Mage kinda qualifies (focuses on the Illusion [Shadow] spell line).

Master Transmogrifist is all about polymorphing spells.

Master of the Unseen Hand focuses on Telekinesis. It also doesn't advance casting and is terrible, but oh well.

Valanarch
2013-08-18, 02:00 PM
Master of the Unseen hand in Complete Warrior focuses on Telekinesis and Mindspy in Complete Warrior focuses on Detect Thoughts.

herrhauptmann
2013-08-18, 02:07 PM
Argent Mage (adept?) focuses on force effects.
So it provides a bonus to your spells that stacks with AbjChamp or force missile mage.

Ruethgar
2013-08-18, 03:08 PM
I'ld like to see the homebrew if you don't mind. I was looking for something that focused on a few spells rather than a school. The Mystic would be good for that, if it had just a little something more, med BaB or spell secrets every level. The hit to feats is awful.

eggynack
2013-08-18, 03:19 PM
Abjurant champion has an odd sub-focus on the small number of abjuration spells that give an AC bonus, swiftblade is a class entirely build around haste, and wayfarer guide is all about teleport.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-18, 03:29 PM
Here's the Daggerveil (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38671) for cloud of knives.

And a couple early-entry short PrCs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92329) for mage armor, shield, flame blade, expeditious retreat, and magic missile.

Ruethgar
2013-08-18, 03:48 PM
Neat, thanks.

Edit: It's not the spell I wanted to focus on, but the Mystic class could make Creeping Cold godly.

Lvl 2 spell swift action, 18 round duration with per round cumulative damage... only 1500 damage, not bad I guess, but not godly.

Elricaltovilla
2013-08-18, 06:32 PM
I made a Pathfinder PrC focused on Scorching Ray for a contest a few months back. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: OK I found it. I've quoted and spoilered it for you below.

Scorching Mage

"Sure, there might be better spells out there, but none of them can roast three chickens in under thirty seconds at fifty yards and still have it taste this good!" Jerak, Scorching Ray Enthusiast

It wouldn't be surprising to know that most wizards and sorcerers have a favorite spell or two. For a Scorching Mage, that spell happens to be Scorching Ray. While most Mages never delve deeply enough into the power of this spell to understand its true potential, serious fans of the spell have learned to utilize it in unique and powerful ways that make other wizards balk at the sheer destructive potential.

Role: A Scorching Mage is primarly a ranged blaster. He utilizes the multiple rays of his favorite spell to hammer opponents with powerful blows at long range.

Alignment: Scorching Mages can be of any alignment. There are fans of the spell across all walks of life.

Hit Die: d6

Requirements
To qualify to become Scorching Mage, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Spells:Able to Cast Scorching Ray
Skills:Knowledge (Arcana) 5 ranks
Feats:Weapon Focus (Ray)
Special:The character must write a 5 page essay (double spaced) on why Scorching Ray is their favorite spell.

Class Skills
The Scorching Mage's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at First Level: (2 + Int modifier)

Scorching Mage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells Per Day

1st|
+0|
+1|
+0|
+1|Extra Ray +1|

2nd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|Intelligent Ray|+1 Level of Spellcasting Class

3rd|
+2|
+2|
+1|
+2|Searing Ray|+1 Level of Spellcasting Class

4th|
+3|
+2|
+1|
+2|Extra Ray +2|

5th|
+3|
+3|
+2|
+3|Ignite Spell Slot|

6th|
+4|
+3|
+2|
+3|Leaping Ray|+1 Level of Spellcasting Class

7th|
+5|
+4|
+2|
+4|Extra Ray +3|+1 Level of Spellcasting Class

8th|
+5|
+4|
+3|
+4|Pummeling Ray|

9th|
+6|
+5|
+3|
+5|Penetrating Ray|

10th|
+7|
+5|
+3|
+5|Extra Ray +4, Spell Perfection (Scorching Ray)|+1 Level of Spellcasting Class[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Scorching Mage.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Scorching Mage is proficient with all simple weapons and Light Armor and does not incur the usual arcane spell failure chance for wearing Light Armor.

Spells Per Day:
At the indicated levels, a Scorching Mage gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for additional spells per day, spells known (if he is a spontaneous spellcaster), and an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a Scorching Mage, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Extra Ray (Su):
Starting at 1st level, a Scorching Mage learns how to get more bang for his buck from his favorite spell. When he casts Scorching Ray, the Scorching Mage can fire 1 extra ray per casting. Every three levels after 1st (4th, 7th and 10th), he can fire one additional ray whenever he casts Scorching Ray.

Intelligent Ray (Su):
At 2nd level, a Scorching Mage can fire his rays with pinpoint accuracy. He adds his Intelligence Modifier to attack and damage rolls whenever he fires a Scorching Ray.

Searing Ray (Su):
At 3rd level, a Scorching Mage can ignore up to 5 points of fire resistance that any target of his Scorching Ray possesses. At each odd numbered level, the Scorching Mage can ignore an additional 5 points of fire resistance, for a maximum of 15 at 9th level. For the purposes of this ability, a Scorching Mage treats immunity to fire as Fire Resistance 20.

Ignite Spell Slot (Ex):
At 5th level, a Scorching Mage can sacrifice a prepared spell slot of 2nd level or higher to spontaneously cast Scorching Ray. If the Scorching Mage sacrifices a higher level slot, he can apply any metamagic feats to the spell, up to the level of the spell slot sacrificed. For example, if a Scorching Mage sacrificed a 5th level spell slot to cast Scorching Ray, he could apply both the Intensified (+1) and Empowered (+2) metamagics to his casting.

Leaping Ray (Su):
At 6th Level, a Scorching Mage can cause his rays to leap from one target to another. When casting Scorching Ray, the rays now fire one more time from their initial target at the start of your next turn. These new rays attack as if you fired them, but their point of origin is the previous creature damaged. You can choose the new targets as a free action, all of whom must be within close range (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels) of their new starting point. These new rays cannot target the creature that serves as their point of origin.

Pummeling Ray (Su):
At 8th Level, a Scorching Mage's rays strike with such force that they can knock a target off its feet. When the Scorching Mage casts Scorching Ray, he can make a free Bull Rush or Trip maneuver against the first target of each of his rays. The Scorching Mage gains a bonus to his CMB equal to his Intelligence Modifier on these checks.

Penetrating Ray (Su):
At 9th Level, a Scorching Mage gains a bonus to caster level checks to overcome spell resistance equal to his Scorching Mage level. This bonus only applies to Scorching Ray spells.

Spell Perfection (Scorching Ray) (Ex):
At 10th Level, a Scorching Mage gains Spell Perfection (Scorching Ray) as a bonus feat.