PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Astral Projection

PlusSixPelican
2013-08-18, 03:51 PM
So, is Astral Projection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/astral-projection) good? I like the layer of invincibility, but I'm worried about what can end up killing you anyways.

Thoughts/opinions/objective truths?

Segev
2013-08-18, 04:02 PM
Heck, Lesser Astral Projection seems to have kept the most breakable part while removing the "intended" use. So yeah, I think it's still just plain awesome.

You and your party leave your bodies in protected areas and make secondary ones to adventure with. The two negative levels you suffer if your second body is destroyed are an irritant compared to actually dying.

The vulnerability of the silver cord is really not much of one; only silver swords can actually sever those, and then only as often as a vorpal blade would cut off your head.

PlusSixPelican
2013-08-18, 04:14 PM
They can't tell the difference between an astral projection and an actual body, right?

Unrelated, what happens if something undead uses Astral Projection? Do negative levels not happen if the projected undead is "slain" in the new body?

Thanatosia
2013-08-18, 06:59 PM
I don't see why they would'nt.... Negative Energy is by far the most common source of negative levels, but I don't think there's anything saying that all negative levels are inherently negative energy effects.

TuggyNE
2013-08-18, 07:31 PM
I don't see why they would'nt.... Negative Energy is by far the most common source of negative levels, but I don't think there's anything saying that all negative levels are inherently negative energy effects.

In 3.5, there isn't; PF may have changed that, but otherwise undead would still take negative levels from that, (un)holy weapons, and a few other things.

Psyren
2013-08-18, 11:16 PM
In PF, it's now a lot harder to get AP before 9th-level spells are being slung around anyway; Nightmares were severely nerfed and can no longer grant you the effect for instance.

So yeah, it's basically an extra life while adventuring, but that's the kind of effect that's worth a 9th-level slot anyway; letting the party do something totally dangerous without needing 25k worth of diamonds per party member if it goes wrong.