PDA

View Full Version : Companion Familiar speaking

Aerris
2013-08-18, 05:56 PM
So, i've got a nooby question about Arcane Hierophants companion familiar.

Basically, is there a way to teach the companion to speak one or more languages?

Would taking a raven as a familiar grant the companion familiar ability to speak?

CyberThread
2013-08-18, 06:31 PM
7th-8th +4 9 Speak with Animals of Its Kind

Meh......anyways, just use the low level spell called speak with animals.

Thanatosia
2013-08-18, 06:35 PM
You have to dismiss your current familiar when you become a Arcane Hierophant, so I don't think it matters what you had as a familiar before becoming one.

That said, all familiars are intelligent, and have all the masters skill ranks... so if you had any skill ranks in Speak Languages I'd interpret that to mean the familiar has any languages you learned from that skill if nothing else. It does say the familiar has to have the physical ability to use the skills you posses, and it could be argued that most animals lack the ability to vocalize most languages however.

Of Course, magic always helps, the tongues spell reads:

This spell grants the creature touched the ability to speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature

Not sure if the intent was to give a creature that can't vocalize speach the ability to speak, but I'd say the spell is open to interpretation that way as writain unless someone knows of some erata or clarification to suggest otherwise. And Tongues is an eligable spell for Permanency.

Aerris
2013-08-18, 06:45 PM
Hm, casting tongues and permanency would definitely do the trick.
Sadly, i'll probably have to be around lvl 12 to cast both of those spells.

But eh, if that's the only way i can get it, i really cant complain. :smallbiggrin:

Erik Vale
2013-08-18, 08:46 PM
Get your companion a pearl of speach [MIC] for 600 [or 900, can't remember], now it can speak and understand one language [also useful for low level druids shapechanging into apes, that way they don't need to spring for natural spell immidiately].

Edit: Also, if you bump it's int to 3 with one of it's 4 level stat boosts, it can learn languages for skill points. Speaking them is another matter though, it'll be able to read/write/understand though.

Thanatosia
2013-08-18, 09:54 PM
Edit: Also, if you bump it's int to 3 with one of it's 4 level stat boosts, it can learn languages for skill points. Speaking them is another matter though, it'll be able to read/write/understand though.
Hrmm, you know, I've never thought about giving familiars/companions stat boosts every 4 levels.

But Arcane Familiars should automatically have at least a 6 int score (probably higher depending on your wiz/sorc + Arcane Hierophant class level total) as part of it's familiar abilities.

Erik Vale
2013-08-18, 09:58 PM
Hrmm, you know, I've never thought about giving familiars/companions stat boosts every 4 levels.

But Arcane Familiars should automatically have at least a 6 int score (probably higher depending on your wiz/sorc + Arcane Hierophant class level total) as part of it's familiar abilities.

And in their cases, if you really need it to speak, you pick a raven, otherwise you sink one of your/your familiars skill points into speak language, and you have written conversations until it gains speak with master or you buy it a pearl of speech.
Or you sink a feat into improved/draconic familiar.