PDA

View Full Version : Free bmp editor that permits transparacies?

Lord Torath
2013-08-18, 06:02 PM
Can anyone recommend a free graphics editor that allows you to add transparencies? I've got MS Paint right now, and InkScape (which I have only just barely started to use. Although my son has already made some OotS characters with it :smallsmile:).

I've got some .bmp and .jpg files I'd like to tinker with, but MS Paint is very limited in the things it can do. And, sadly, budget is very much an issue. :smallfrown:

So... any suggestions?

The Curt Jester
2013-08-18, 10:21 PM
I use GIMP ( http://www.gimp.org/) for any image editing that I do. You can work with all those files you mentioned, plus many more. The program is free to download. To me it's a little on the clunky side, so it may take some time to become accustomed to it, but once you do there are quite a few things you can do with it.

Crimmy
2013-08-18, 10:51 PM
If you need to, continue using MS paint, and add a colored background on your images (I'd recommend the color to be the same as the Playground's, that is, R:240 G:231 B:211)

Afterwards, edit with Irfanview, save as PNG with transparent background. When you save the image, it will give a prompt, asking which color should be turned transparent. You choose the BG color, of course).

That way you can continue making them in MS Paint and also can get transparent backgrounds.

Lord Torath
2013-08-19, 09:43 AM
Thanks, Crimmy! I've already got Irfanview, so I'll have to give that a try!