PDA

View Full Version : Fresh DM needs some help with a vet player.

Kiwi the Bard
2013-08-18, 06:19 PM
My current DM, who has no previous experience, has been dealing with a pesky player who keeps attemtping to create min/max characters full of cheese that ruin the play experience for our group of mostly first timers. Anyone have any tips for the DM to keep this players from creating ridiculous characters, solo-ing dungeons and other possibly game ruining shenanigans? Thanks a bunch!

lycantrope
2013-08-18, 06:23 PM
Ask them nicely to stop. This is pretty much the only recourse.

nedz
2013-08-18, 06:25 PM
What he should be doing is mentoring the newbies, maybe you could sell him on this idea ?

Trunamer
2013-08-18, 06:25 PM
1. Ask the player to reign it in.

2. Ask the player to help everyone (including the DM) optimize.

3. Boot the player.

4. Run 4e instead.

Kiwi the Bard
2013-08-18, 06:29 PM
It sucks, but the guy is an integral part of our groups interest in DnD However, since his knowledge of the game is far more in depth than ours, he always tries to find ways to cheese characters and actions that we wont know about unless we delve deeply into game rules. Apparently the DM caught him cheating with his gnome druid by taking a heavy horse as a druid familiar, and then saying in his backstory he trained it to be a war horse with the "trick" charge.

A_S
2013-08-18, 06:31 PM
You can also occasionally get some traction letting them do their high-op thing, but requesting that they optimize a character concept that allows the rest of the party to shine (e.g., Bard-based buffers). This is what I try to do to satisfy my high-op cravings when I'm in a party with less experienced players.

But really, talking to the player, and getting him to understand that the game isn't fun for anybody if one character completely overshadows the others, is the best solution.

Kiwi the Bard
2013-08-18, 06:32 PM
Thanks for your responses guys =)