PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Making spiked gauntlets work?

Unbalanced
2013-08-18, 06:23 PM
So... I'm dead-keen on a character who strictly fights only with spiked gauntlets. He needs to be very durable and very capable with his fists.
I'm thinking a bar-room brawler that executes the same combat style on the front lines in battle.
Problem is, spiked gauntlets don't put out much damage and also would take TWF feats to make them able to be wielded effectively.
Is there some way around this? Somehow gain monk unarmed abilities but apply it to the gauntlets? Also, the ability to rage would work ideally with the character I have in mind.

Help/ideas anyone?

Cheers.

Keneth
2013-08-18, 10:55 PM
There's no way to apply monk unarmed damage to gauntlets. My advice is: Just house rule it. It's not really broken in any way, although it does get a bit weird with amulets of mighty fists, but whatever. I don't see any GM saying no to that, unless you happen to be playing PFS.

Crake
2013-08-19, 12:12 AM
Actually, the gauntlets say that they convert unarmed strike damage from nonlethal to lethal, the damage should remain the same for whatever your unarmed strike damage is, so you'd lose the ability to swap between lethal and nonlethal without penalty, and would need to take the -4 to hit penalty to strike with nonlethal damage if you wanted the gauntlet enchantments (since you can enchant gauntlets).

That's going from my 3.5 knowledge, I'm not sure if they changed the way it worked in pathfinder.

Bhaakon
2013-08-19, 03:37 AM
The brawler archetype fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/brawler) was pretty much designed for this. It gets sizable attack and damage bonuses with spiked gauntlets and similar weapons, enough that it comes out more or less equivalent to a monk's unarmed damaged. It also gets some mid-level abilities that make it excellent for locking down an opponent.

Granted, it's as low op as any other fighter, but then you're probably not going for optimization in this instance. It's durable (d10 HD, all armor proficiencies) and hits hard with its fists.

Doorhandle
2013-08-19, 05:14 AM
The brawler archetype fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/brawler) was pretty much designed for this. It gets sizable attack and damage bonuses with spiked gauntlets and similar weapons, enough that it comes out more or less equivalent to a monk's unarmed damaged. It also gets some mid-level abilities that make it excellent for locking down an opponent.

Granted, it's as low op as any other fighter, but then you're probably not going for optimization in this instance. It's durable (d10 HD, all armor proficiencies) and hits hard with its fists.

Also worth noting is how flurry of blows stacks: (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk)

The monk rules for flurry of blows state: "For the purpose of these attacks, the monk's base attack bonus is equal to his monk level." How does this interact with BAB from class levels and racial Hit Dice? Does a multiclassed fighter 19/monk 1 flurry as if his BAB were only +1?

A monk using flurry treats his BAB from monk levels as equal to his monk level. He still adds BAB from other sources (such as other classes or racial Hit Dice) normally to this total.

So a fighter 19/monk 1 has a normal BAB of +19. When he flurries, he treats his monk BAB as +1 (for his 1 level of monk) and still gets BAB +19 from his fighter levels, for a total flurry BAB of +20.

[Source]

When I use the monk class feature, flurry of blows, can I make all of the attacks with just one weapon, or do I have to use two, as implied by the ability functioning similarly to Two-Weapon Fighting?

You can make all of your attacks with a single monk weapon. Alternatively, you can replace any number of these attacks with an unarmed strike. This FAQ specifically changes a previous ruling made in the blog concerning this issue

1 level dip in monk or marital artist if you're the chaotic awesome sort will allows you basically the same level of flurry.

Also I would recommend the cestus over the spiked glove since it does the same amount of damage and is actually a monk weapon.

Hell, straight martial artist could have some fun times between expose weakness and getting damage resistance for ability damage, but I think unarmed fighter may still be the better choice.

edit: Also worth noting is this, seeing as it's thematically similar (and spiked armour would naturally include spiked gloves. )

Spiked Destroyer (Combat)

You can attack with your armor spikes while using bull rush or overrun.

Prerequisites: Worshiper of Gorum, proficient in spiked armor.

Benefit: When you succeed at a bull rush or overrun combat maneuver, you may automatically make an attack roll with your armor spikes against the target of the maneuver as a swift action. This attack is made using your highest attack bonus.