PDA

View Full Version : Your Very First Contact

Kitten Champion
2013-08-18, 09:27 PM
So, in this scenario we have first contact tomorrow. This is the historic moment, the one where we as a species confront the fact that we aren't alone in the universe.

Which alien civilization would you want to initiate it and why?

You can pick any from the media so long as they've got sufficient technology to get to Earth from wherever they are and are legitimately extra-terrestrial in origin.

grolim
2013-08-18, 10:38 PM
I'm going to go with The Culture. Highest tech and low screwed over potential. Or maybe the Asgard from Stargate. Both powerful, and non imperial.

Arcanist
2013-08-18, 10:43 PM
The Time Lords. First contact with them would literally be old news in about 3 weeks.

Are we going to assume that the entities are going to ascend us to their level of technology?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-18, 10:50 PM
I'd be cool making contact with the Doctor, not so much with the Timelords. They're not so pleasant.

Arcanist
2013-08-18, 11:55 PM
I'd be cool making contact with the Doctor, not so much with the Timelords. They're not so pleasant.

Oh, can we actually target a single entity amongst a race or does it have to be that entities whole race? If this is the case, I just want the Doctor :smalltongue:

snoopy13a
2013-08-19, 12:03 AM
The Ewoks.

I'll invite them over for a party--complete with dancing and stormtrooper helmet-drums.

Ionathus
2013-08-19, 12:16 AM
Riding the Star Wars kick, I'd choose it to be whatever Yoda's species is. This would have several effects:

1. Seems they're Force sensitive. They could maybe teach us pretty sweet things. Like lightning from the hands. That would be a good thing.

2. We could finally find out what the dang species is called.

3. The resulting grammar implosion would have the most humorous effect on grammar tightwads.

Lord Raziere
2013-08-19, 12:22 AM

Quarians or Asari

Both seem nice. and they got access to cool tech.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-19, 12:37 AM
Oh, can we actually target a single entity amongst a race or does it have to be that entities whole race? If this is the case, I just want the Doctor :smalltongue:
If we have to target a whole race, I definitely wouldn't be cool with it being the Timelords. :smallwink:

warty goblin
2013-08-19, 12:39 AM
Vulcans people. Seriously.

Kitten Champion
2013-08-19, 12:57 AM
Are we going to assume that the entities are going to ascend us to their level of technology?

If its canonically likely they'd do so, sure.

Well, it's really more civilizations than individuals, else you could just say Superman without a second thought.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-08-19, 01:16 AM
It seems like the Turians (Mass Effect) would get along very well many earth governments.

I can also see Vulcans being okay.

Hopeless
2013-08-19, 03:02 AM
Rocket Raccoon if single since it would be hilarious to find out humanity isn't the highest form of life!

For race how about either the Minbari or the Betazoids?

One to have someone we'd have to look up to and the other on the grounds on their version of marriage ceremonies!:smallbiggrin:

Seriously... check Star Trek to see what I mean about that!

Of course we would have problems with both but they're better role models than some of our leaders...

Kawaii Soldier
2013-08-19, 03:05 AM
The Ewoks.

I'll invite them over for a party--complete with dancing and stormtrooper helmet-drums.

They have technology capable of space travel?:smallconfused: I mean, I'd pick them too, but I thought the rules of this were they have to have space travel.

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-19, 03:09 AM
The vorcha. Either we stop looking for aliens (because seriously, the vorcha), or we get a cool workforce out of it as long as we figure out how to train and breed them properly.

Finn Solomon
2013-08-19, 04:16 AM
I pick THE FLOOD from Halo. We'll all be dead in a week.

Nah seriously I'd go with the Andalites from Animorphs. They're pretty cool guys. Or the asari from Mass Effect, impossibly hot space babes who have managed to sort out petty things like war and are pretty enlightened.

Avilan the Grey
2013-08-19, 04:29 AM
Turians or Asari.
If not for the first contact war, the Turians seems like an interesting bunch.

MLai
2013-08-19, 04:32 AM
While I want to say the Orions (Star Trek, the green-skinned girls) just to be cheeky, I would ideally want it to be the Liir (Sword Of The Stars). They're so cuuuute (when they're not being genocidal). :smallredface:

Eldan
2013-08-19, 06:08 AM
I'd like to say a species from Star Control II, since I love it so much, but I can't think of a good choice. Maybe one of the Chmmr component species, like in the actual game. They are very alien, but quite friendly and open with their tech.

Traab
2013-08-19, 06:30 AM
Did the vulcans actually help the federation get space travel? Or did they mostly hang back making snarky comments about how much we suck compared to them? Because, if they actually helped by giving us the tech needed to build for interstellar travel, I could put up with them being pointy eared condescending asses. We wouldnt even need much. At this stage in our development, just giving us the basic jumping off point would be enough to let us do things ourselves. Provide us with a basic warp engine, or enough supporting tech to figure out how to build one ourselves, then step back and see where we go with it. We dont need our hands held, we are just at a stage where there is a gap between what we theoretically can do, and what we can actually do. We just need something to bridge that gap.

I was also thinking about the stargate races, but in all honesty, most of them are too obsessed with not sharing tech with us, or just outright killing us. We might be able to setup an exchange with the Tokra. Exchange a few willing hosts for a basic ship with hyperdrive, then we could reverse engineer it ourselves. Lord knows I would be willing to take on a symbiote and be able to explore the galaxy.

Aotrs Commander
2013-08-19, 06:43 AM
The Galactic Empire, because I just want to see Earth crap itself with horror as they realise they're gonna be conquered and there's nothing they can do about it and by the Empire, moreover, which would ruin all the mysertious alien invasion cliche by them showing up in an ISD and loudly telling everyone - in English - how screwed they are.

It'd be hilarious.

Though to be fair, I'd really like it to be the Aotrs, which me at the head of the task force (though then you'd wish it was the Galactic Empire...)

Tiki Snakes
2013-08-19, 06:47 AM
If we have to target a whole race, I definitely wouldn't be cool with it being the Timelords. :smallwink:

That's the beauty of it. Canonicaly at this point, The Doctor IS the timelords, what with being the only one left.

pita
2013-08-19, 07:50 AM
The Xel'Naga, before they created the Protoss. Free genetic enhancement for everyone!
Also the Iskoort, from Animorphs, would be amusing. They'd end up buying the earth and being our masters, but it wouldn't be that bad.

DigoDragon
2013-08-19, 08:02 AM
because I just want to see Earth crap itself with horror as they realise they're gonna be conquered

To be fair, I think a large portion of the planet would do that anyway if it became suddenly known of any intelligent life out there and they showed up here. :smallbiggrin:

Not sure who'd I pick for first contact. Maybe the aliens from the movie "Contact". They seemed to be pretty nice and understood that initial greets take a while to get going so our society doesn't freak out.

The Succubus
2013-08-19, 08:15 AM
Chalk up another vote for the Asari. They are far too cute for their own good. :smallredface:

I'd go with the Centarii over the Minbari though. Humanity almost got extinguished over our first contact with them (stupid gun ports) and then Centarii know how to have a good time. :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2013-08-19, 08:48 AM
That's the beauty of it. Canonicaly at this point, The Doctor IS the timelords, what with being the only one left.

What about the Doctor's daughter? Or Granddaughter? or River Song? ... Neither of which will ever appear again (or be referred to as Time Lords/ladies) because it would take away the Doctor's mystique of being the last of his kind... Hmm... :smallannoyed:

... I seem to have angered myself... :smallannoyed:

Raimun
2013-08-19, 08:57 AM
Twi'leks!

... What?

Hopeless
2013-08-19, 09:03 AM
What about the Doctor's daughter? Or Granddaughter? or River Song? ... Neither of which will ever appear again (or be referred to as Time Lords/ladies) because it would take away the Doctor's mystique of being the last of his kind... Hmm... :smallannoyed:

... I seem to have angered myself... :smallannoyed:

On the plus side its entirely possible any alien race with evil intentions have been put off by evidence of an unknown alien species going around defending this insignificant species with the only evidence of its presence is a small blue box with the fact that usually by the time its detected said invader is inevitably screwed!

BUT the way Moffat is going we might not be able to rely on the Doctor tactic for much longer....:smallfurious:

The good aliens however avoid the Earth because most of them caught the remake of when Earth stood still with Keanu Reeves on grounds they much prefer the original...:smallbiggrin:

Dienekes
2013-08-19, 09:08 AM
The Asari. I think they're the single most boring race in the entire Mass Effect series, but a bunch of moderate leaning non-violent space girls will probably make the transition for Earth to the galactic level as easily as possible.

Once we get the peaceful transition out of the way, then we can deal with the more interesting races like the Turians, Salarians, Quarians, and Krogan.

Tengu_temp
2013-08-19, 09:28 AM
I second some Star Control race. Probably the Pkunk, because they're extremely helpful and amusing hippy birds, or the Zoq-Fot-Pik, because they're harmless and adorable.

It seems like the Turians (Mass Effect) would get along very well many earth governments.

I think you forgot that they were humanity's first contact in Mass Effect too. And how it went.

I wouldn't vote on the Asari or the Quarians either. They have lots of cool individuals, but as races as a whole the former are some of the most condescending Space Elves I've seen, and the latter mostly care about self-preservation and did some really stupid and vile things because of that.

Dienekes
2013-08-19, 09:39 AM
I think you forgot that they were humanity's first contact in Mass Effect too. And how it went.

I wouldn't vote on the Asari or the Quarians either. They have lots of cool individuals, but as races as a whole the former are some of the most condescending Space Elves I've seen, and the latter mostly care about self-preservation and did some really stupid and vile things because of that.

True that the Asari are, as a race, annoying as Hell, but I don't see them starting a war or causing any destruction with Earth at all. Since their culture is largely influenced by mating with every galactic race they can get their hands on it will probably be a peaceful and diplomatic first contact.

I can put up with some condescension now if it means later I get to hang out with some Turians and Salarians.

As to the Quarians, I honestly don't see them even bother to first contact anyone. If they see a place they can't scavenge useful materials from they'll just pass right by.

Eldan
2013-08-19, 09:41 AM
The P'kunk are also very annoying. I was thinking of the Zok-Fot-Piq, but they are probably the least technologically advanced species in the SC-verse, so we'd profit least. They are also some of the most easy to get along with.

tensai_oni
2013-08-19, 09:44 AM
The P'kunk are also very annoying.

Not THE most annoying though. That's the Umgah. Evil space blobbies. Har. Har. Har.

Mando Knight
2013-08-19, 09:54 AM
Did the vulcans actually help the federation get space travel? Or did they mostly hang back making snarky comments about how much we suck compared to them? Because, if they actually helped by giving us the tech needed to build for interstellar travel, I could put up with them being pointy eared condescending asses. We wouldnt even need much. At this stage in our development, just giving us the basic jumping off point would be enough to let us do things ourselves. Provide us with a basic warp engine, or enough supporting tech to figure out how to build one ourselves, then step back and see where we go with it. We dont need our hands held, we are just at a stage where there is a gap between what we theoretically can do, and what we can actually do. We just need something to bridge that gap.

According to Enterprise, early Vulcan-Human relations were "condescending stuck-up prick" and "space cowboy."

Personally, if the Vulcans met us, I'd hope Zephram Cochrane picks "shotgun" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA) instead of "handshake." Then we can skip all that "faith of the heart" stuff.

Traab
2013-08-19, 11:09 AM
According to Enterprise, early Vulcan-Human relations were "condescending stuck-up prick" and "space cowboy."

Personally, if the Vulcans met us, I'd hope Zephram Cochrane picks "shotgun" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA) instead of "handshake." Then we can skip all that "faith of the heart" stuff.

Yeah, because there is no way that within a week a much MUCH larger vulcan ship wouldnt appear in our skies and proceed to rain down hell upon us for the murder of their first contact group. I mean honestly, while amusing, (and I loved the comments) that would have ended very poorly for humanity.

Deathkeeper
2013-08-19, 11:15 AM

Admittedly, a handful of small battles followed by lasting peace and hatred between the involved races dying down in less than a human lifetime is better than a LOT of sci-fi first contacts, even if it can be argued that the council negotiators were the only reason it wasn't a full-scale war.

tomandtish
2013-08-19, 11:33 AM
My first contacts were Bausch and Lomb brand. Took me forever to take them out the first time and … Oh wait, you mean a different kind of contact!

One to have someone we'd have to look up to and the other on the grounds on their version of marriage ceremonies!:smallbiggrin:

Seriously... check Star Trek to see what I mean about that!

Of course we would have problems with both but they're better role models than some of our leaders...

Nope! No mention of telepaths and marriage in the same sentence! My wife only lets me win arguments once a year as it is. If she was a telepath I’d only get to be right once a decade at best!

I have to go with Wookies. Just as cute as Ewoks and a whole lot cooler.

Juhn
2013-08-19, 12:14 PM
Wookiees also have massive anger management issues. Chewbacca was remarkably chill for a wookiee, and he still beat people to death (and Han had to warn his associates not to lose chess games to Chewie if they valued their arms).

Derthric
2013-08-19, 12:27 PM

Curse you Berman and Braga!

Back to topic.

My vote is for the Hynerians from Farscape. If Rygel's reaction to candy is indicative of the Hynerians response to sugar, then we could trade a bag of snickers for all of their medical technology, protection from their fleet(till we built our own), etc.

Rakaydos
2013-08-19, 01:20 PM
I'd have to vote for the Culture. Kind of a proselytizing utopia (Join us!we'll show you how to do all kinds of cool things.)

Also the Cyantians. In that setting, all the animosity comes from the human side.

http://cyantian.net/campus/2012/07/16/campus-safari-chapter-0-page-3/

Kitten Champion
2013-08-19, 01:36 PM
The issue with the Mass Effect races, save maybe with the Quarians who function more like gypsy, is that they are very much like real-world states. They primarily act in a manner which benefits themselves generally to the exclusion of others, seeking any advantage in the galactic power-balance that they can. You see through that condescending surface they like to present quite deeply throughout the games, but they never come off as hypocrites or bitterly annoying.

Sure, and to Bioware's credit, they are likeable individually - easy to sympathize with and comprehend while still remaining not exactly human in important respects - but they're much more akin to Babylon 5's races in their darker undercurrents and animosities.

Still, there's a big upside in that they are so relatable, those same qualities that make them less than angels are part of why they're appealing. The Asari certainly have a space elves feel to them, but they are not nearly in the territory of the Bakuu from Star Trek: Insurrection, who I'd politely ask to leave.

Mando Knight
2013-08-19, 02:31 PM
Wookiees also have massive anger management issues. Chewbacca was remarkably chill for a wookiee, and he still beat people to death (and Han had to warn his associates not to lose chess games to Chewie if they valued their arms).

They only have anger management issues if you start enslaving them. Han was joking.

Forum Explorer
2013-08-19, 02:38 PM

I imagine the Turians would be a lot more peaceful about it if we weren't spacefaring at the time. I'd still expect Earth to end up as a vassal of the Turian worlds or something like that in that case though.

I'd go with the Geth. The majority of the Geth are not Reaper worshippers and are actually pretty nice. They'd also get humanity used to an 'alien' species that would normally be seen as a merciless invader.

Quarians would be nice too. They'd likely land and trade with us for basic necessities and raw resources but they wouldn't seek to hold power over us. Oh, they'd rip us off horribly in our dealings but that's hardly the worst possibility.

Caesar
2013-08-19, 02:57 PM
I'm thinking either the xenomorphs or the andromeda strain, because seriously i hate everybody and humanity can go **** itself..

No but in all seriousness, why all these fictional races? Nobody mentioned the greys, the reptilians, or the nordics? Man.. Except of course that they have already made first contact.

LOTRfan
2013-08-19, 03:01 PM
My first reaction would be Wookiees. Ultimately, that would be a bad choice, however, as the language barrier (we can't speak their language, and they can't speak ours) would be a big problem.

My next reaction would be Twi'leks, as they are a relatively human-like species that are not too advanced on their own and have a reason not to screw us over (their homeworld isn't exactly good for agriculture). That too probably isn't a very good idea, as they have extremely corrupt governments, a lively slave trade, and an even bigger drug trade.

As cool as it would be to meet a real live Klingon, we don't want an expansionistic Imperialist power on our door step, either (even following the interpretation that the Klingon Empire is actually very weak and relies heavily on conquered populations to function).

Ideally, we would want to make contact with a nonaggressive species with a method of verbal communication similar enough to our own form of verbal communication, and not having yet reached the point in their technological advancement that we are insignificant.

Cespenar
2013-08-19, 03:05 PM
Probably the Asari or the Twi'lek, to overcome the inevitable xenophobia phase as smoothly as possible.

Tengu_temp
2013-08-19, 03:06 PM
No but in all seriousness, why all these fictional races? Nobody mentioned the greys, the reptilians, or the nordics? Man.. Except of course that they have already made first contact.

Do you mean these alien races aren't fictional?

Hiro Protagonest
2013-08-19, 03:11 PM
Do you mean these alien races aren't fictional?

Yeah, I seriously doubt the greys exist. Large eyes are a possibility for a planet with a weaker daystar, but the anatomy doesn't really make sense. Even if it is possible, the behavior doesn't make sense.

I have no idea what those other two races are.

Anyway...

An Imperial ship has gotten lost in the Warp on its way to Terra. They manage to emerge from it on course, but the planet looks... different.

Mewtarthio
2013-08-19, 03:16 PM

They have to be extraterrestrials. Races engineered on Earth by the CIA don't count. :smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2013-08-19, 03:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alleged_extraterrestrial_beings

HandofShadows
2013-08-19, 03:48 PM
The Bentusi (Homeworld). Folks that only want to trade.

Ravens_cry
2013-08-19, 04:48 PM
The Federation.
Once we learn how to make their technology, we could show them what a species with imagination could do.

darkblade
2013-08-19, 05:01 PM
A race that is functionally human (possibly sharing a common long lost space faring ancestor) but has socially evolved such different culture and language that communication is quite complex and we will no doubt screw it up several times before getting it right. If only to avert the standard set up where we meet something physically alien but socially understandable.

Jade_Tarem
2013-08-19, 05:35 PM
Nah seriously I'd go with the Andalites from Animorphs.

The Andalites are a terrible choice. If you'll recall, they take that Seerow's Kindness law pretty seriously - the only reason they're seen as humanity's allies in Animorphs is that they fight the Yeerks, and they only agreed to share tech with humanity after the human resistance basically won the battle for Earth on their own. Basically, it would be all of the condescension of the Vulcans with none of the tech support.

While I want to say the Orions (Star Trek, the green-skinned girls) just to be cheeky, I would ideally want it to be the Liir (Sword Of The Stars). They're so cuuuute (when they're not being genocidal). :smallredface:

+1 to a Liir expeditionary fleet - they only get genocidal if you somehow convince them that you're the Suul'ka. Empathic, helpful, friendly, and pretty chill about sharing tech goodies. Plus, as an aquatic species, they could very easily *colonize* Earth without having to conquer anyone. Heck, we'd probably have floating cities and our own starships in no time, not to mention the benefits of sharing philosophy and medical science while the Liir Elders unlock humanity's latent psychic potential. It'd be a good deal all around.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-08-19, 05:39 PM
A race that is functionally human (possibly sharing a common long lost space faring ancestor) but has socially evolved such different culture and language that communication is quite complex and we will no doubt screw it up several times before getting it right. If only to avert the standard set up where we meet something physically alien but socially understandable.

That's why I chose the Imperium.

Grinner
2013-08-19, 05:47 PM
That's why I chose the Imperium.

And of course, they're renowned for their culture of love and tolerance.

Aotrs Commander
2013-08-19, 05:53 PM

Lots of people didn't like Enterprise, but I hold that two parter (y'know, I never did get around to watch the last few episodes after that) was so completely unexpected and side-splittingly hilariously awesome that even if I didn't like the rest if the series (which I do), would have justified the entire series run.

I mean, they changed the credits! Star Trek never does that.

That was just pure class.

Back to topic: Alternatively, ponies. Because while brony population would be ecstactic, I suspect a large majority of people would have their self-image and the image of humanity utterly destroyed by being out-done and inferior to brightly coloured magical talking ponies.

Or the Decepticons, who, having seen Michel Bay's movies, were not amused...

Or like, all the villains from Power Rangers or something. Anything to utterly crush the spirit of humanity to powder and despair, really.

(But someone who would conquer and be open to collaboration ('cos even if I was not a Lich, I'd not so much welcome 'em as hand over the keys to Earth myself), otherwise I'd have said the Daleks, and find a place so I could sit back from a safe distance and watch the carnage...

I'm not best fond of humanity, can you tell?

And you guys aren't even the bottom of my list...)

Anarion
2013-08-19, 05:58 PM
Or like, all the villains from Power Rangers or something. Anything to utterly crush the spirit of humanity to powder and despair, really.

Wouldn't those guys just beat each other the whole time instead of doing anything to humanity? And by the time they got around to figuring out who was top dog and taking over Earth, we'd probably have the giant robots up and running.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-08-19, 06:05 PM
Wouldn't those guys just beat each other the whole time instead of doing anything to humanity? And by the time they got around to figuring out who was top dog and taking over Earth, we'd probably have the giant robots up and running.

Or gotten the really big guns up. Assuming that tanks supported by anti-material sniper rifles and heavy machine guns are enough to deal with the mooks, while special forces soldiers and ace pilots using depleted-uranium shaped charge bullets and rockets (basically does the same thing on impact as bolts from 40k) to deal with the big stuff.

Forum Explorer
2013-08-19, 06:07 PM
Back to topic: Alternatively, ponies. Because while brony population would be ecstactic, I suspect a large majority of people would have their self-image and the image of humanity utterly destroyed by being out-done and inferior to brightly coloured magical talking ponies.

Or the Decepticons, who, having seen Michel Bay's movies, were not amused...

Sadly I don't think ponies count due to not being space faring (as far as we know anyways)

Decepticons sure though. However aren't they a faction of a species? So wouldn't we get both the Autobots and the Decepticons?

Aotrs Commander
2013-08-19, 06:07 PM

Because real Earth is not Pacific Rim and is nowhere even distantly near giant robots for practical combat operations, especially against alien monsters...

I also wasn't thinking of, like all of them at once or something: I think even the likes of Rita and Lord Zedd would be able to make a pretty mess of Earth with no Power Rangers to stop them. (I mean, what are humans going to do? Resort to nukes? (Which is cutting your face off to spite your nose.) They could throw monsters down all day and there's very little humans could do about. Plus you only have to wreck the very small handful of orbital flight launch facilities and Earth couldn't even get to the moon to do anything. (You can have a reign of terror with a ballon on a stick if the other guy has got nothing to fight you with...) Even counting for their extreme incompetance - because of it in fact, which what makes it all the more fun - they'd win in the end, and the hilarity would be you'd know that those clowns were the ones beating you.

comicshorse
2013-08-19, 06:22 PM
I'm going to go with The Culture. Highest tech and low screwed over potential. Or maybe the Asgard from Stargate. Both powerful, and non imperial.

Iain M Banks actually did a short story where the Culture discover earth.
They basically decide contact with them would screw us up too much and go home without ever revealing themselves

darkblade
2013-08-19, 07:01 PM
I also wasn't thinking of, like all of them at once or something: I think even the likes of Rita and Lord Zedd would be able to make a pretty mess of Earth with no Power Rangers to stop them. (I mean, what are humans going to do? Resort to nukes? (Which is cutting your face off to spite your nose.)

Eh it's not like we really need the moon. While yes, the first monster would be horrible and the collatoral damage needed to take it down would be tragic, within the week it seems to take Rita to come up with a new plan we'd have unmanned rockets with nuclear warheads aimed at the moon (keeping a crew alive is the hard part of space travel, if we don't care...).

Aotrs Commander
2013-08-19, 07:25 PM
Eh it's not like we really need the moon. While yes, the first monster would be horrible and the collatoral damage needed to take it down would be tragic, within the week it seems to take Rita to come up with a new plan we'd have unmanned rockets with nuclear warheads aimed at the moon (keeping a crew alive is the hard part of space travel, if we don't care...).

Wishful thinking.

Reality is not the movies.

The cold hard truth is simply that if some alien power showed up, there is, in practical terms, NOTHING Earth could do about it.

It would likely take months to even being such a plan and it would be very easily disrupted (especially, given the y'know DAYS it takes to reach the moon from Earth), given how few places you can launch such an attack from (and you actually can't just erect a space-centre in the back of your local field or something like you can with concealed airstrips; the logistics involved are just too big). Just think of how many years it takes to plan a moon mission, and the fact that it's been forty years since humans last attempted it (during which time the technology will be outdated and aging, if it exists at all). It just ain't happening quickly; even if you throw money at it, it doesn't magically make the engineering realities change.

Also, Earth also very much does need the moon, not that it matters in that regard, though, since every nuke Earth has ever had deonated at once would do structurally nothing to a planetary body.

But we digress.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-08-19, 07:31 PM
Like I said. Rockets made of depleted uranium with a small delay on the explosion, and high-caliber guns firing depleted uranium bullets packing shaped charge.

Tengu_temp
2013-08-19, 07:50 PM
Anyway...

An Imperial ship has gotten lost in the Warp on its way to Terra. They manage to emerge from it on course, but the planet looks... different.

And the first thing they try to do is enforce their ideals on this different Terra. Pass.

Traab
2013-08-19, 07:56 PM
Wishful thinking.

Reality is not the movies.

The cold hard truth is simply that if some alien power showed up, there is, in practical terms, NOTHING Earth could do about it.

It would likely take months to even being such a plan and it would be very easily disrupted (especially, given the y'know DAYS it takes to reach the moon from Earth), given how few places you can launch such an attack from (and you actually can't just erect a space-centre in the back of your local field or something like you can with concealed airstrips; the logistics involved are just too big). Just think of how many years it takes to plan a moon mission, and the fact that it's been forty years since humans last attempted it (during which time the technology will be outdated and aging, if it exists at all). It just ain't happening quickly; even if you throw money at it, it doesn't magically make the engineering realities change.

Also, Earth also very much does need the moon, not that it matters in that regard, though, since every nuke Earth has ever had deonated at once would do structurally nothing to a planetary body.

But we digress.

BAH! Its not like it needs to be a permanent structure. Make it flat enough for a launch pad, then extinguish any fires started by the emergency launch!

For the record, I agree. Chances are we would be wiped out. It might take a few giant monsters to finish us off, but we just wouldnt have any effective way of striking back or stopping the attacks. I mean, even assuming we COULD launch a pinpoint missile attack on the moon, as you said, it would take so long to get there, rita would just slam a giant monster into it halfway there and complain the flash of light gave her such a headache! Then proceed to continue smashing earth with giant monsters.

Wardog
2013-08-24, 12:00 PM

The Minbari?

The "Let's show our respect and peaceful intentions by pointing our guns at them" Minbari?

The "They responded to us pointing guns at them by shooting back and killing our Space Pope - lets kill 'em all!" Minbari?

I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

Kalmageddon
2013-08-24, 12:36 PM

If we are talking Sword of the Stars my vote goes to the Morrigi. Not only they are mostly peaceful, but they are skilled space explorators and linguists and very inclined to cultural exchange.

And I also like feathered space dragons.

Jade_Tarem
2013-08-24, 12:44 PM
If we are talking Sword of the Stars my vote goes to the Morrigi. Not only they are mostly peaceful, but they are skilled space explorators and linguists and very inclined to cultural exchange.

And I also like feathered space dragons.

They're also unbelievably arrogant and exploitative. They trade with humans in-game because the humans have advanced technologically to the point of not being pushovers. If they dropped by modern-day Earth, they'd either ignore us or use us as a profit center.

Plus they wouldn't really be on board with this whole "gender equality" thing that mankind is theoretically working towards.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-08-25, 06:01 AM
Kerbals.

We'd compare notes on spaceflight experiments explosions and Jeb would finally get his hot pink alien babe.

SuperPanda
2013-08-25, 01:55 PM
If it doesn't mean the rest of the 5 Galaxies have to come with them, then the Tymbrium from Brin's Uplift Saga would fit the bill for me.

The Tymbrium have enough low level psi (rudimentary empathy among the sensitive) that they might be able to help facilitate communication in the early stages by calming people (or more likely each-other) down. They're good natured and enjoy puzzles, so they aren't likely to get bored with us.

The only down side is that they're playful and more than a little likely to mess with us for a while, but I'd rather the E.T.s play pranks on us for a bit than enslave us. In the Uplift universe they threw their lot in with Earth against the rest of the 5 Galaxies when we crossed the powers that be, and they also helped us get started with our first FTL drives and deep space ships (not to mention going to bat for us with the Galactic Civilization to prevent us being enslaved by other races).

Arkhosia
2013-08-25, 02:10 PM

Quarians or Asari

Both seem nice. and they got access to cool tech.

Agreed!
Also, geth (legion-style)

Aotrs Commander
2013-08-26, 12:10 PM
For the record, I agree. Chances are we would be wiped out. It might take a few giant monsters to finish us off, but we just wouldnt have any effective way of striking back or stopping the attacks. I mean, even assuming we COULD launch a pinpoint missile attack on the moon, as you said, it would take so long to get there, rita would just slam a giant monster into it halfway there and complain the flash of light gave her such a headache! Then proceed to continue smashing earth with giant monsters.

Sorry to backtrack to this again, but I was just suddenly struck with the potentially even more frightening idea of Rita turning the nukes into monsters. (Was it her if Zedd that occasinally turned random crap into the monster of week, I forget...)

Yikes. That's... not even funny. Kinda lucky for the Power Rangers they enever though of that in the show... But I'm guessing if you actually were to brandish them in her (or his if it was Zedd's) face...

Ooer.

Silver Swift
2013-08-26, 04:32 PM
It's odd how many alien species are space-elves (stuck up, condescending jack-asses) or space-orks (kill/conquer everything that moves) types. Where are all the other fantasy clichés? I wouldn't mind meeting some space-dwarves or space-hobbits.

If we go for pure practicality I'd say any prime directive like race would do as long as they are willing to talk to us. They may not want to give us any of their technology, but real humans are a lot more crafty than your average fictitious alien. The Vulcans would be perfect, narrow minded, obsessed with a seriously fallacious sense of logic and completely convinced that they are smarter than us. We'd have copied all their tech within a year and outpaced them in its application 5 seconds after that.

If we go for a less Machiavellian approach, I'd initially say Andalites, for animorphing tech, but it's been a long time since I read animorphs and someone mentioned a few posts back that they are kind of jerks. So I'd go for one of the more peaceful species from the star wars universe, Twi'leks, Gungangs or maybe Yoda's species. Highly advanced tech and pseudo magical warrior monks running around keeping everything pleasant, maybe we can find some way to use the force without the whole decades-of-training bit.

MLai
2013-08-27, 08:41 AM
So I'd go for one of the more peaceful species from the star wars universe, Twi'leks, Gungangs or maybe Yoda's species... maybe we can find some way to use the force without the whole decades-of-training bit.
If humans successfully learned the Force, the first thing Earth would get is a baby boom of Sith Lords. :smallannoyed:

Tyndmyr
2013-08-27, 09:16 AM

Yup, The Culture it is for me as well.

Silver Swift
2013-08-27, 09:21 AM
If humans successfully learned the Force, the first thing Earth would get is a baby boom of Sith Lords. :smallannoyed:

Nah, the first thing we'd get is a tsunami of youtube videos of morons frying themselves with force lightning or decapitating themselves with lightsabres. That should take care of most of humanity's dark side potential and I'm fairly sure that amongst non-idiots earth's light side potential is greater than its dark side potential.

Clyner
2013-08-27, 10:30 PM
A chance for world peace and a perfect society? Sign me up for the Tau!

dehro
2013-08-28, 05:16 AM
+1 on Minbari, though I'll be first-contacting them from behind a sturdy shield.. or maybe from the other end of the planet, just to be safe.

Frozen_Feet
2013-08-28, 05:29 AM
Roll 1d6:

Elder things from Mountains of Madness; wait, a Lovecraft creature? Sure, why not. Despite their weird physiology, they're fairly relatable and benign, being referred to as "another kind of men". We would get along just fine, as long as they left those damn Shoggoths home.
Eldila from C.S. Lewis's space tirlogy; full-blown space angels. 'nuff said.
Ur-Quan Kzerza; what, why are you looking at me like that? it's not like we need to be fallow slaves this time around. Humans would make just fine combat thralls. Besides, for a hierarchy of civilization-enslaving doctrinal fanatics, they're actually quite nice and rational.
Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah; hey, at least there's a chance we'll be reborn as ur-Quan, right? Right?
The Hainish Cycle, from Ursula Le Quin's work; they're basically humans. Couldn't go wrong. At least, not by too much.
The Syreen; another Star Control race. They're adorable blue-skinned space babes. Why else?

Tyndmyr
2013-08-28, 07:03 AM
If its canonically likely they'd do so, sure.

Well, it's really more civilizations than individuals, else you could just say Superman without a second thought.

Even if I could pick individuals, I wouldn't pick Superman. Definitely not.

And I SURELY wouldn't pick Kryptonians. Man, what a mixed bag of terrible there....

Silver Swift
2013-08-28, 07:33 AM
Even if I could pick individuals, I wouldn't pick Superman. Definitely not.

And I SURELY wouldn't pick Kryptonians. Man, what a mixed bag of terrible there....

How about those blue things that make the green lantern rings? If we could figure out how to replicate that, that would be cool.

Note: I know exactly nothing of green lantern except for what I got from the movie and pop culture osmoses so this might be a really terrible idea.

Finlam
2013-08-28, 07:39 AM
Vulcans people. Seriously.

I think the thread ended here.

Wardog
2013-08-28, 01:01 PM
A chance for world peace and a perfect society? Sign me up for the Tau!

The Tau are classic "surrender your planet to us and be assigned to service in our empire, or die!" alien conquerors.

They only seem benevolent because pretty much everyone else in WH40k takes the attitude towards other species of "surrender your planet to us and be assigned to service in our empire, or die!"

deuterio12
2013-08-28, 01:49 PM
The Tau are classic "surrender your planet to us and be assigned to service in our empire, or die!" alien conquerors.

Actually the Tau are classic "Open your markets to us and start trading with us while keeping good diplomatic relations, or die!". Many Tau "conquests" consist of them offering technology samples in return for raw materials and work, which surely beats the IoM "Even if we're the same species we'll work you to death while forcing you to live in medieval slave conditions and then blow your planet up for some petty reason".

Tau even do stuff as, when arriving on a planet that is already filled with conflict among its inhabitants, pick the side that's more friendly to them, then give said side advanced weapons so they take over the planet and then can stablish proper diplomatic/market relations with the Tau.

ShadowFireLance
2013-08-28, 02:29 PM
I would say...
Eldar.
First thought: Tyranids.
First, First thought: Xenomorphs.
But in All truth, I want Mind Flayers.

Gnoman
2013-08-28, 03:19 PM
The Intersteller Concordium or Gorn from the Star Fleet Universe wouldn't be too bad. The former is essentially a more agressive version of the Federation (the Organians brought them to this galaxy to end the General War by conquering the warring powers, but the fluff suggests that they'd prefer more peaceful interactions under more normal circumstances.) In the latter case, although a misunderstanding between the Federation and the Gorn caused them to initially meet in war, this was quickly resolved, leading to what the game manual states is the only alliance in the galaxy based on mutual commitment to the principles of peace rather than mere interest.

Clyner
2013-08-28, 06:14 PM

They only seem benevolent because pretty much everyone else in WH40k takes the attitude towards other species of "surrender your planet to us and be assigned to service in our empire, or die!"

Actually, one of the reasons I favor them is that a less commanding race would be turned away by request of our governments. The Tau would end human conflict, disease, and corruption while at the same time giving earth full military support (something we would desperately need). They would also allow freedom of religion and to retain our culture which in my book, puts them above quite a few world governments.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-08-29, 01:24 PM
Actually, one of the reasons I favor them is that a less commanding race would be turned away by request of our governments. The Tau would end human conflict, disease, and corruption while at the same time giving earth full military support (something we would desperately need). They would also allow freedom of religion and to retain our culture which in my book, puts them above quite a few world governments.

Some things aren't worth our freedom. Even if we never know it's gone.

Clyner
2013-08-29, 03:33 PM
Some things aren't worth our freedom. Even if we never know it's gone.

True, but I'd like to live as part of a competent and benevolent theocracy
Granted that isn't really an option, but it would be nice :smallsmile:

Fixed rules infraction, my bad.

Varen_Tai
2013-08-30, 09:34 AM
Hold up there!

Everyone knows First Contact was the Centauri, though the lying sunuvaguns told us that we were a forgotten colony of theirs, which was patently false. Sheesh.

And while I can see Minbari as space elves and Narn as space orcs, how do the Centauri fit in? Are they our space dwarves? :smallwink:

And as far as First Contact, we also know the Vorlons (will) have already been here creating human telepaths for their war against the Shadows, so even the Centauri won't be/weren't really the first.

Man, mixing tenses is tough.

Thrawn183
2013-08-30, 12:11 PM
Pretty much any race from the Weave. They're not even mentally capable of fighting us for the most part, even if they wanted to.

Arkhosia
2013-08-30, 02:18 PM
Ooh! I got another one: Head alien (It's Walky!)! Then we get superstrength tech people, ressurection, and Monkey Master!

Eric Tolle
2013-09-04, 08:54 AM
I think the obvious choice would be the Arisians from the Lensman series. A very much god race devoted to preserving civilization and allowing us to develop in peace to our full potential. Of course we'd probably never develop the internet, but that's probably a plus.

Arkhosia
2013-09-05, 08:18 PM
Ooh! I got another one: Head alien (It's Walky!)! Then we get superstrength tech people, ressurection, and Monkey Master!

Actually I'm wrong: Invader zim!
He fails at invading and saved the world a few times (albeit do he could conquer it).

nyjastul69
2013-09-05, 09:24 PM
Rigellians, because there is no language barrier and a world of infinite delights sounds like a fun place to go for a feast.

Giggling Ghast
2013-09-05, 09:30 PM
The Borg. :smallbiggrin:

molten_dragon
2013-09-06, 11:00 AM
The Roxolani from Harry Turtledove's short story The Road Not Taken. There would be basically no risk in it for humanity, and huge benefits.

Bouregard
2013-09-06, 01:04 PM
The Federation.
Once we learn how to make their technology, we could show them what a species with imagination could do.

Conquer federation space?:smallbiggrin: