PDA

View Full Version : Fast Healing

ljm
2013-08-18, 11:16 PM
Hi guys,

I understand that fast healing 1 regains one hit point per round in combat, however I can't find any information about how fast the healing is out of combat. Does it continue to heal at that rate, e.g. one hp per six seconds, or does it act more like natural healing and heal overnight?

LJM

Crake
2013-08-18, 11:19 PM
1 hp per round, 10 hp per minute, 600 hp per hour etc

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-18, 11:32 PM
1 hp per round, 10 hp per minute, 600 hp per hour etc

Aye, Fast Healing does not in any way depend on being in or out of combat. It is simply X hit points healed per round. Period.

ljm
2013-08-18, 11:36 PM
Thanks, for some reason I thought a round was a combat thing only.

LJM

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-19, 12:59 AM
Thanks, for some reason I thought a round was a combat thing only.

LJM

Well... generally speaking, combat is the only time where measuring time in rounds is really important. Out of combat, it's not usually that big of a deal, unless you're using some magic or other ability that functions on a round-by-round basis.

RustyArmor
2013-08-19, 02:17 AM
Since a combat round is 5 seconds. Its safe to say they are pretty much full health once combat is over and they are done looting. Figure it takes about 5-10 mins to pilfer through foes goodies. Thats 60 -120 HP back if they have fast healing 1.

ljm
2013-08-19, 02:30 AM
That sounds downright broken on a third level familiar (Glacial Snake from Serpent Kingdoms).

Milo v3
2013-08-19, 02:33 AM
Since a combat round is 6 seconds. Its safe to say they are pretty much full health once combat is over and they are done looting. Figure it takes about 5-10 mins to pilfer through foes goodies. Thats 50 -100 HP back if they have fast healing 1.

Fixed that for you.

georgie_leech
2013-08-19, 02:36 AM
Not really, it means that you don't need to spend any resources healing it between fights if it somehow gets damaged. A 3rd level familiar just doesn't have the hp for Fast Healing to make much difference in combat; if it takes 20 rounds to kill something via direct damage, it's 19 extra hp (last one kills it), while if it takes 2 rounds, it's just 1.

RustyArmor
2013-08-19, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the fix hehe. And yeah if combat is over so be it, its nice way to save up on healing pots/items and lets the clerics do more with their spells excepting healing hehe.

Vaz
2013-08-19, 04:19 AM
It is why Lesser Vigor wands have a better return the CLW. They heal 550 HP but CLW heals 100-350. However, CLW is more useful In Combat, due to the ability to Stabilize and heal up to 7 HP at a time.

Chronos
2013-08-19, 09:42 AM
Wait, there are actually DMs who don't put a blanket ban on Serpent Kingdoms? I'd have thought that in most groups, even mentioning that book would get the DMG thrown at you.

But to be clear, is it the familiar that has the fast healing, or does it grant it to you? If it's just the familiar, it's no big deal, because familiars really shouldn't be taking damage in the first place.

Vaz
2013-08-19, 10:13 AM
Serpent Kingdoms has like... what, Sarrukh and Venomfire, and... erm that's it? What else is bad in SK? Manyfang dagger? Eh. Having said that, not dug it out in a few months.

Chronos
2013-08-19, 10:59 AM
The Sarrukh alone are usually enough to inspire a nuke-it-from-orbit response. As in, "I'd like to use something from Serpent Kingdoms..." "Wait, isn't that the Pun-Pun book? No way!".

ljm
2013-08-19, 09:11 PM
The familiar is the one with the fast healing, not me. My DM basically allows anything out of Forgotten Realms. Besides, is a glacial snake overpowered, even if it has fast healing?

LJM

TheIronGolem
2013-08-20, 12:27 AM
I almost want Fast Healing to be in-combat-only now, just because it evokes a hilarious image of adventuring parties bringing along a hapless commoner for post-battle healing.

Fighter: "Well, so much for those goblins. Somebody untie Carl."

Carl: "Please, I just want to go home..."

Rogue: "HE'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!"

<everyone punches Carl in the face, regaining one hit point each>

Barbarian: "Hey Fighter, give Carl your shield so he lasts a little longer. These d12 hit dice ain't gonna refill themselves, you know."

Chronos
2013-08-20, 09:24 AM
As already stated, it's not overpowered for a familiar to have fast healing. I don't know what the glacial snake's other stats are like.

And of course, it's quite possible for a book to have some decent things in it, along with the vastly-overpowered things. I was surprised that the DM was allowing Serpent Kingdoms, not actually recommending that it be banned.