PDA

View Full Version : Prison Escape

Nathan_is_here
2013-08-18, 11:18 PM
Context: (careful, long and probably half unnecessary)
In my latest session, some of my D&D party (the warlock, the ranger, the cleric and the rogue) were able to have an audience with the king. After opening the door to the throne room and handing over our obvious weapons (I'm the party rogue, and the ranger has a similar mindset) we see the king standing and berating some nobles, insulting them on their competence and punching them. I like this king, the prince then comes out and says to restrain him.

Shortly after talking with the king, we ask him to summon Pendragon, his magical advisor and he does so. Turns out he's a gnome and actually really awesome, but hates being disturbed because explosions happen. We go and follow him up to his work room, and then complete our primary objective: give a status report to our current employer (not Pendragon, he's just the only guy we could think of who could contact him).

We then head back down to the throne room and the king asks us to join him for breakfast. When we all finish our meals, the king has some wine and then clutches his chest and starts coughing. The prince is the only person who doesn't appear worried or concerned. Our ranger, Kresh, takes the wine to Pendragon and has him check properly for poison, turns out there's a subtle one that takes ages to manifest any effects at all.

At this point, we're seriously not trusting the prince, so we meet up again and head to the king's room to have a chat, we discuss with him the possibility that his son might be trying to kill him and the king doesn't seem all that shocked.

Our cleric at this time had no present player, so we left them guarding the king's room, and then go and get our stuff back. We head back to the king's bedroom and then our warlock went and toured around with an envoy, checking on who tests the food and wine, after not finding much it becomes the ranger's and my turn (partially because the warlock player needed to head off to bed). Now that we've got free access to wherever we want (due to a document signed and sealed by the king which is essentially an all access pass), we try and head towards the prince's room.

Asking some passing nobles, they point us towards the end of the hall and on the left. The door is locked, so I open it up and walk in and we find a rather plain room, I figure the prince is just living without the trappings of royalty and we have a look around. Don't find much, but we do find some powdery make-up in the drawers of the desk and some combs in the bedside cabinet. Remembering that our cleric was looking for some combs, I take one for him.

After finding nothing special, we leave the room and I go about locking it, as we do, some guards come up and ask us what we're doing, we show him our pass and say we're looking for the prince's room and we have an all access pass but doors keep being locked and nobody will give us the key. We convince them to take us to the prince's room because it turns out the one we were in was not it.

After heading upstairs, we arrive at a room and we listen at the door (the guards are still with us, so it probably looks suspicious as hell), and hear nothing on the other side. We try the door, it's locked, we ask the guards if they have a key and they say the don't. So I open the door, as I do so, the guards are muttering to each other "should we really be letting them do this?" "they have the pass". They're not the brightest bunch.

Inside, we close the door behind us and begin searching again. We find some jewellery, but it'd be noticed rather quickly if it was taken so we leave it behind, and can't find proof that he's behind the poisonings. I leave a note on the desk that says "We know" and hide the left one of every pair of footwear in his room.

Leaving the room and locking it behind us, we ask the guards about the prince and they mention "he's good with a sword but-" and he cuts himself off there. thinking something is up, but ignoring it for now, we ask them to take us to the training area because perhaps the prince is there. He is and is fighting four guards at once. Pressing the guard who came with us what he stopped himself from saying, we find out that the prince is good at fighting but has no idea how to lead.

After all this, we head back to where we collected our stuff from because the armoury was next to it and we wanted a look inside, but there were guards out the front. We didn't want to just walk in while being seen because then if we take something it's kinda obvious that it was us. So, we end up asking the guards there about where the dungeon is.

We get lost on the way there, and have to ask some more passing guards to lead us there. Heading into the dungeon, some guards follow us in to make sure we don't cause trouble. There are 2 prisoners in the furthest cell, approaching them, we ask what they're in for, and they just smile a toothless grin and laugh, so we ask the guards. They stole some of the king's spiced mead and claimed they were here for "a good time". We think this is a lovely idea and on the way out, we ask some questions like "how long of a sentence is it for stealing the king's mead?" "about a year" "oh, if it's a year for stealing mead, how long for murder?" "depends on who you murder and what the magistrate's decision is, sometimes the king himself hands out the sentencing".

Heading to the kitchen, and therefore the cellars, we enter and only have one guard following us this time. Realising this is probably the best chance we're going to get, we start trying to knock the guard out by punching him. It doesn't work, and he manages to yell for more guards, so we try to run out of there, and find plenty of guards running up the hallway towards us. Running into a little room on the side and locking it from indoors, we then open the window and jump out. Only to be surrounded by guards. Surrendering because we can't fight our way out of all this, we're shackled and led back down to the dungeon. Freeing myself and then the ranger, we collect our stuff they were silly enough to leave just outside our cell is where we left off.

Now I'm here asking for advice on getting out of the prison, considering that the all access pass has been confiscated and that the dungeons are constantly guarded.

Madfellow
2013-08-20, 11:04 AM
Beat up some guards and take their uniforms. Works every time. :smallwink:

Adoendithas
2013-08-20, 03:37 PM
Have them roll Bluff checks to disguise themselves as guards. There are rules for that soemwhere in Chapter 5 of the PHB1.

Nathan_is_here
2013-08-21, 03:51 AM
While taking the guards uniform might work, there'd be a huge penalty to bluff with it because it's a human capital and we're an elf and a halfling.

Might be able to pull off a "we thought it was bring your son to work day."

But thanks for the advice so far.