PDA

View Full Version : Which Build is better

Ace Nex
2013-08-19, 01:49 AM
My archivist Malconvoker
(Final Build Archivist 5/Malconvoker 5 (or 8)/Thaumaturgist 4/Sacred Exorcist 1/Paragnostic Apostle 1/(Contemplative 1+Still Deciding 2)

Has taken leadership at 6th level. The DM gives us full control over our cohorts, so essentially we control two characters. That being said, three other in the party and the DM says he'll limit their usefulness but hasn't said how much control we'll lose. That being said, I want my cohort to be a gish Jade Phoenix mage. That being said, I don't know how much to put where.

Wiz 3/Swordsage 1 (Final build, Wiz 5/Swordsage 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 4/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 6/Incantrix 1)

Wiz 1/Swordsage 3 (Final Build, Wiz 3/Swordsage 4/Jade Phoenix Mage 5/Abjurent Campion 5/)

Because she's my cohort, (and I already get 9th level spells) I felt that perhaps a more melee base character would be fun to play, but still have a caster edge over other melee classes) What do you guys think?

gorfnab
2013-08-19, 11:05 AM
How about a Bard based buffing Gish?
Bard 6/ Crusader or Warblade 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 8

tyckspoon
2013-08-19, 10:12 PM
For a gish, I like the second build better; the first one looks more like a Wizard that loses too many casting levels. I'd consider making it with Crusader as the initiating class instead, tho - Devoted Spirit and White Raven are better suited to straight combat than most of the Swordsage disciplines, and the Crusader chassis and class features are much better suited to a fighting type.

Nettlekid
2013-08-20, 02:18 AM
How about a Bard based buffing Gish?
Bard 6/ Crusader or Warblade 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 8

I'm going to second this suggestion. As a Malconvoker and Thaumaturgist, you want to summon lots of nasty little critters and sic them on your enemies. Imagine how effective it would be to have a Bard strumming beside you, using Dragonfire Inspiration to give them +10d6 energy damage on each of their attacks! It's all about letting others do the work for you.