PDA

View Full Version : Questions about invocations.

Devronq
2013-08-19, 03:37 AM
Just a few questions about invocations, they function exactly the same as a spell would of that level right if i understand correctly so...

1. They are dispelled the same way spells are?
2. Can you chose them when you cast spell immunity and does spell turning and similar effects work with them?
3. Is there a way to apply meta magic effects with them? Can you apply metamagic to your eldritch blast somehow?
4. Last question, is the warlock the only class that uses invocations?

Krazzman
2013-08-19, 04:25 AM
Just a few questions about invocations, they function exactly the same as a spell would of that level right if i understand correctly so...

1. They are dispelled the same way spells are?
2. Can you chose them when you cast spell immunity and does spell turning and similar effects work with them?
3. Is there a way to apply meta magic effects with them? Can you apply metamagic to your eldritch blast somehow?
4. Last question, is the warlock the only class that uses invocations?

1. to my knowledge yes, as they are spell like abilities and they can be dispelled.
2. don't know
3. yes: Quicken Spell Like Ability and so on work (Complete Arcane)
4. No. To my knowledge the Dragonfire Adept has some of his own.

Thurbane
2013-08-19, 07:30 AM
3. additional: the Sudden Metamagic feats in Complete Arcane are also specified to work with invocations.

AmberVael
2013-08-19, 07:55 AM
I'm just going to try and clarify things that the others haven't touched on as much. Everything that they've said is right so far.

Invocations are Spell-Like abilities and follow those rules, which can be found here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities) Spell-like abilities generally work like spells though, so you're pretty much correct.

Spell Immunity allows you only to choose spells when you gain your immunities. This protection does extend against Spell-Like Abilities of that spell... but invocations are usually distinct from spells even when they mimic them. Just like Charm Monster is distinct from Charm Person for the purposes of Spell Immunity, the Charm invocation will be distinct from them... and since you can only choose spells to be immune to, you generally won't be protected from invocations. This may seem a bit unreasonable and worth house ruling but keep in mind how few invocations a warlock gets, and thus how easy it would be for someone to Spell Immunity all their powers away. Not a good situation.

Spell Turning will apply against Invocations, though of course they have to be an acceptable target of Spell Turning. That is, they have to directly target the person protected by Spell Turning. There are not very many Invocations that actually just target an individual- it's particularly important to keep in mind that Eldritch Blast will never be affected, as all its forms are attacks or areas.

As the others have mentioned, there ARE way to get metamagic like effects on invocations. The spell-like ability modifying feats can be found here. (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsterFeats.htm) To be clear though, you cannot apply regular metamagic feats to invocations though, as they are spell-like abilities.