PDA

View Full Version : Need Feedback on a Potential Houserule

Alabenson
2013-08-19, 10:01 AM
I'm considering implementing a houserule that would prohibit wizards and similar classes from leaving spell slots open during spell preparation. I'm generally of the opinion that the ability to leave spell slots open cheapens one of the few weaknesses of Vancian casters.

I'd like to know what the playground thinks of this idea.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-19, 10:03 AM
It's mostly a speed bump more than an actual fix, but it's okay.

eggynack
2013-08-19, 10:09 AM
That'd be fine. It's really not the biggest rule in the game to start with, so getting rid of it isn't a big deal. It's a fairly low impact thing though, if you want this change to have broader ramifications in terms of game balance.

Alabenson
2013-08-19, 10:19 AM
That'd be fine. It's really not the biggest rule in the game to start with, so getting rid of it isn't a big deal. It's a fairly low impact thing though, if you want this change to have broader ramifications in terms of game balance.

Honestly, this particular change isn't really meant to have any material effect on game balance (I prefer to either buff the weaker classes and/or nerf the individual problematic spells/feats/PRCs).

The issue I have with this rule is that it circumvents much of the need for a Wizard to accurately predict which spells he will need for the day. For what it's worth, I ban the Spontaneous Divination ACF in my games for similar reasons.

Studoku
2013-08-19, 01:33 PM
The most likely effect is that prepared casters will use scrolls more often for spells that aren't worth memorising. More of a minor annoyance than a nerf.

ahenobarbi
2013-08-19, 01:59 PM
The most likely effect is that prepared casters will use scrolls more often for spells that aren't worth memorising. More of a minor annoyance than a nerf.

Which may result in them becoming actually more versatile, because of hoarding scrolls. Depends on your group.

Still I don't think this will change much (and is probably ok).

What about Mage of the Arcane Order?

Alabenson
2013-08-19, 02:39 PM
Which may result in them becoming actually more versatile, because of hoarding scrolls. Depends on your group.

Still I don't think this will change much (and is probably ok).

What about Mage of the Arcane Order?

The issue with scrolls doesn't particularly bother me, since a) that's essentially what scrolls are for and b) relying on scrolls for that sort of thing represents an allocation of resources towards solving the problem, which I'm perfectly fine with.

As for the Mage of the Arcane Order's Spellpool, I'd say that would be a case of specific trumps general. Essentially, the Spellpool works as written, you simply don't have the option of filling in the unused spell slots with spells from your spellbook.