PDA

View Full Version : Tarquin and the Rift

Secris
2013-08-19, 12:44 PM
It seems to me that Tarquin is in an awful hurry to get Elan going again. And while that totally could be Tarquin's lovable, charismatic villian side showing, I'm wondering if it's not his clever bastard side. Can we be sure he doesn't have a plan for the raw rift? He acted as if he knew nothing about the Gate, but that may have been an act. And even if he didn't know anything then, he may have had some of his minions research it since learning about it.

It's already clear that we don't know everything about the gates and rifts and Tarquin is an evil mastermind with a whole lot of reasurces at his command. I just feel like he's got something up his sleeve.

pendell
2013-08-19, 12:50 PM
The first time I saw Tarquin's army, I was sure he was going to go marching into the rift for a bout of interplanar conquest. And there's a part of me that would have wanted quite badly to go with him, villain or no.

But ... doesn't look like it. All he sees is "that purple thingy" and if he's conservative enough to destroy the gate in the first place, he's probably not so irrational as to lead an army into an unscouted rift.

So I think that's probably all there is to it. He'll set up an observation post to ensure nothing comes out of the rift and that it doesn't expand. Beyond that, he has his own set of evil empires to rule.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

brionl
2013-08-19, 01:21 PM
He already said what he is going to do with the army in the first panel of 822 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html)

Spockears
2013-08-19, 01:25 PM
Perhaps Tarquin has his equivalent to SG-1 ready to go through the Stargate, sorry, rift?!

A team of trusted/ expendable minions to feed into the rift and report their findings.

Shred-Bot
2013-08-19, 02:18 PM
Perhaps he endeavors to have the rift go between HIS buttcheeks.

... what?

F.Harr
2013-08-19, 03:08 PM
. . .And while that totally could be Tarquin's lovable, charismatic villian side showing, I'm wondering if it's not his clever bastard side.

I strongly doubt those two sides are very far appart.

veti
2013-08-19, 04:04 PM
I'm sure he'll send a few scouts through. Although once he takes a look, he'll probably want to spend a bit of time building/fetching some boats for the expedition.

Secris
2013-08-19, 08:00 PM
But ... doesn't look like it. All he sees is "that purple thingy" and if he's conservative enough to destroy the gate in the first place, he's probably not so irrational as to lead an army into an unscouted rift.

So I think that's probably all there is to it. He'll set up an observation post to ensure nothing comes out of the rift and that it doesn't expand. Beyond that, he has his own set of evil empires to rule.

He says that's all he sees. I don't believe him. He could easily be aware of what it is, either through prior knowledge or by having a party member or minion scry any of the other un-gated rifts. I certainly don't think it's a stretch that Nale mentioned the location of one or more of the other gates off-panel, and Tarquin has crazy amounts of resources. Why not have someone do some research on the world/multiverse controlling/destroying rift located on his own continent.

As aloof as Tarquin can be, I have a hard time he isn't implementing a devious plan that requires the OoTs (and maybe the Linear Guild) to get out of his hair. Hell, maybe he even wanted Malack out of the way too.

warrl
2013-08-19, 08:06 PM
He says that's all he sees. I don't believe him.

I do.

That's all he sees... from there. And he hasn't gone to get a better look... yet.

Kid Jake
2013-08-19, 10:20 PM
Perhaps Tarquin has his equivalent to SG-1 ready to go through the Stargate, sorry, rift?!

A team of trusted/ expendable minions to feed into the rift and report their findings.

I honestly hope there's at least a throwaway joke about this. I think it'd be a blast.