PDA

View Full Version : Map making for the artistically challenged

cerin616
2013-08-19, 02:07 PM
does anyone have any oppinions on how to go about making maps for the artistically uninclined?

Maybe some programs that are easy to use/easy to learn how to use?

Thunderfist12
2013-08-19, 04:21 PM
Um... I don't know any, but you could have somebody else draw the map based on the details. I could do the drawing if you want, but it would take a while for me to upload it.

Yora
2013-08-19, 04:46 PM
Hex maps have to advantage that they really require absolutely now technique or drawing skill. You just place the hexes and they look fine.
You still have to arrange them in ways that makes the whole thing look like a map of a natural place, but it will look decent even if you can't draw at all.

I think Hexographer is the name of a popular programm. Alternatively, there is plugin for GIMP called hexgimp, which allows you to place hexes in almost the same way, while having all the comforts (and confusing complexity) of GIMP.
Not sure if anyone ever made a version for Photoshop.

Weltall_BR
2013-08-22, 12:16 PM
This might help you (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/10655-award-winner-hand-drawn-mapping-artistically-challenged.html) :smallsmile:

It has certainly helped me: even though I am terrible in drawing I was able to create this map (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293900) (it is still ongoing, as you can see...). Although it is not the best map ever, I think it is pretty decent. It took a lot of time, though, which is clearly due to my lack of drawing skills (and a certain degree of perfectionism).

Mutazoia
2013-08-23, 12:28 AM
There is always Dundjinni (http://www.dundjinni.com/).

KevlarTheD
2013-08-23, 12:47 PM
For my most recent campaigns I've begun using hard-to-recognize real-world geography. Every looked at a map of the actual landmass under Antarctica? All kinds of cool mountains and valleys, on a a conveniently-sized continent, with lots of topographical and rendered maps available.

For example, the map for the world build I'm trying now is actually a map of the drainage basin of the Black Sea - watch out for coastlines, though, as those tend to be more easily identified. I've slightly warped the Black Sea on my own map to make it less recognizable. I'm a designer and use Photoshop in my sleep, which is an advantage in this aspect, but that's just cleaning up details.

Still, the main benefit is that instead of putting in time and creative energy to fleshing out a country- or continent-sized map, the opposite occurs. The map exists, and things like forests, hills, and rivers generate and provide inspiration and creative thoughts. The time you would spend drawing the map is now spent brainstorming how to incorporate the new ideas that your map gave you.

EDIT: plus, at the end of the day, there's nothing stopping you from altering (even seriously) the geography. The found map is just a starting point.

Melayl
2013-09-16, 11:13 PM
The Cartographer's Guild (www.cartographersguild.com)boards would be a great place to ask this question. Mapmaking is what they do...