PDA

View Full Version : Lingual Deulist [base class]

Rowanomicon
2006-12-17, 08:30 PM
OK, the basic idea here is non-magical, non-psionic, mental attacks. This class attacks with words.

EDIT1: So starting with the basics:
HD: d6/d8?
BAB: Poor (1/4 HD) -this is unless I decide to use BAB for the verbal attacks
Good Save: Will
Poor Saves: Ref and Fort
Weapon/Armor Proficiency: Simple Weapon Proficiency, Proficient with all Armor and Shields.
Alignment: Any
Skill Points/Level: I'm not sure here. I'm thinking either 6 or 8 + Int Mod.
Class Skills: (open for suggestions) Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Scritp (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight Of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

EDIT2: Now I'm going to do some brainstorming on what effects I want the Lingual Duelist to be able to acomplish with his verbal attacks:
Fear
Stun
Mental Anguish (Pain?)
Insanity (at high levels)
Weaken Will
Distraction
Inhibit Intellect

A Lingual Duelist should also be able to accomplish non-harmful effects with his words:
Charm
Inspire Confinence
Strengthen Will
Encourage Intellect

Please tell me your ideas, everyone.

EDIT3: Looking through classes I have found the following Class Features of other classes that may fit with the Lingual Duelist as well:
Barbarian: The only thing is Indomitable Will (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#indomitableWill)
Basically I might give this class a feature that improves it's Will save.

Bard: Fascinate: The Lungual Duelist should be able to create a similar effect, however it hwould not be achieved through art (music/poetry) so often as a speech or something similar (a Lingual Duelist could use poetry).

Inspire Courage: A Lingual Duelist would possess this ability in the context that they know what to say to encourage specific people. While most would say "You can do it, Joe." the Lingual Duelist knows that Joe has always seeked his fatehr approval and so would say "Your dad would be proud, Joe." So, again, it's not so much dependent on art as it is merely saying the right thing (also again, the right thing could be poetry).

Being Inspirational will definitely be something a Lingual Duelist can do; however, I'm going to make it look different from the Bard's various 'Inspire' abilities.

Suggestion/Song of Freedom: These will be discussed when I discuss Lingual Prowess vs. Magic.

Anything else can really be solved when I either look at spells or start making totally new class features.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-17, 08:34 PM
Good start, but I want to know stuff like weapon and armor proficiencies, and hit die, and the such.

Rowanomicon
2006-12-17, 08:49 PM
There's a little more info for ye. That covers, or mostly covers, the basics. What remains are class skills (Edit: which are up now) and class features.

Edit: Now for class features step two (Step 1 was the brain storming) I'm going to look throught the base classes for features I think fit witht his class. After that I'll look through PrCs and classes form other sources. If anyone knows/thinks of any please bring it up.

Another Edit: This could be handled two different ways: either the class uses existing rules and fits into the game easily on it's own or a whole new system could be created. I prefer the first for multiple reasons. Even if I were to end up creating a whole new system for Lingual Prowess, I would want there to also be a version of this class that could fit into a campaign without introducing a whole new system of rules. So I will start by creating a class that works on it's own inside the existing systems.

jlousivy
2006-12-18, 02:40 AM
full-armour and shield + 8 skill points / level seems a bit much
also i dont think some of the skills really fit
ie: full plate mail with escape artist?
i'd say class skills should be anything language dependant like...
bluff
sense motive
gather information
listen
perform(oratory and poetry)
craft
profession
intimidate
(i believe spellcraft is only for people who actually cast spells and you said it was non-magic, non-psionic)
i like the idea, but im trying to see the difference between him and bard