PDA

View Full Version : Taking up on Tarquin's offer.

Daileon
2013-08-19, 05:28 PM
Isn't this a perfect opportunity to capture and slay Durkula so he can be raised as Durkon again? We know Elan isn't smart enough to ask that to Tarquin, but wouldn't that thought at least cross Haley's mind?

I know that he'll stay a Vampire for a while for plot-related reasons, but it seems odd that at least Roy wouldn't see this as an opportunity to get back his old friend, once Elan tells the gang that his father is willing to help them again.

Do Psions have powers that can keep vampires contained in Gaseous form, in case he tries to escape?

Kish
2013-08-19, 05:32 PM
I think the members of the Order are absolutely correct in not trusting Tarquin to the point of, "We're going to stake a member of our party now, trusting in your lackey to resurrect him."

That's assuming Tarquin has access to a level 13+ cleric; Malack didn't have the power to cast Resurrection, even before he was destroyed.

Michaeler
2013-08-19, 05:43 PM
I'm with Kish. A plan that involves letting someone you don't trust kill someone you do trust is a bad plan.

Vinsfeld
2013-08-19, 06:20 PM
The only cleric level 13+, other than Durkon, that we know of is Redcloak.

That old cleric of Loki guy.... Was he going to cast a raise dead or a resurrection on Roy?

Porthos
2013-08-19, 06:24 PM
It absoultely won't happen.

I KNOW it's not going to happen.

But (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0752.html)...

:elan:: You know, I had just presumed that your color pallet shift and fangs were somehow symbolic of character growth to come.
:durkon:: Aye. Tu'ned out ta be jus 'nother repetitive B-plot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0471.html) in this story.
:elan:: Yeah, go figure.

:smalltongue:

David Argall
2013-08-19, 06:56 PM
I suppose it is not impossible..., but...
A gimmick you have been wanting to use for 800 stripes is not one you throw away in a dozen or so. It's probably scripted for 100, and will be padded beyond that.

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-19, 07:36 PM

That old cleric of Loki guy.... Was he going to cast a raise dead or a resurrection on Roy?

He said (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0602.html) Resurrection was above his caster level, but he has a scroll of it.

Kish
2013-08-19, 07:43 PM
If Durkon is eager to live again, and has the Scribe Scroll feat, it shouldn't be hard at all for the Order to get him resurrected. He just needs to make a scroll, and even a first-level cleric will be able to resurrect him, if Haley doesn't have enough Use Magic Device--which she probably does.

Daileon
2013-08-19, 09:22 PM
He probably does not want to be raised. "He's not Durkon anymore" is a point that was made pretty clear when he snapped Zz's neck.

He's supposed to be an entirely new creature which has the memories of his old self. We cannot even assume that he has the same patience for mistakes that late Durkon had, in other words, he could be a time bomb.

Plus, Redcloak might have a really good chance to command Durkula, putting them at a big disavantage against Xykon...

He had a Ressurrection scroll, therefore we can assume that there are more high level Clerics out there.

factotum
2013-08-20, 01:46 AM
Plus, Redcloak might have a really good chance to command Durkula, putting them at a big disavantage against Xykon...

No, he doesn't. To command undead an evil cleric has to be *at least* double their level, and unless Redcloak goes on a really, really big XP grind and gets up to level 30 or thereabouts, he isn't commanding Durkula any time soon.

Kish
2013-08-20, 04:40 AM
He's supposed to be an entirely new creature which has the memories of his old self.
"Supposed to be"?

Silverionmox
2013-08-20, 05:23 AM
"Supposed to be"?
Some people just can't handle metaphorical hyperboles if they're spoken with a reptilian lisp.

Daileon
2013-08-20, 10:52 AM
No, he doesn't. To command undead an evil cleric has to be *at least* double their level, and unless Redcloak goes on a really, really big XP grind and gets up to level 30 or thereabouts, he isn't commanding Durkula any time soon.

-Edit-
You are correct. I missed that part.

Chantelune
2013-08-20, 11:07 AM
Isn't this a perfect opportunity to capture and slay Durkula so he can be raised as Durkon again? We know Elan isn't smart enough to ask that to Tarquin, but wouldn't that thought at least cross Haley's mind?

I know that he'll stay a Vampire for a while for plot-related reasons, but it seems odd that at least Roy wouldn't see this as an opportunity to get back his old friend, once Elan tells the gang that his father is willing to help them again.

Do Psions have powers that can keep vampires contained in Gaseous form, in case he tries to escape?

Last time Tarquin and Malack helped the Order, Durkon ended up with a Mass Death Ward with a backdoor leading him to be vampirized and they got a magic carpet with a bug planted on it, allowing for the LG to follow them and causing this whole mess.

So my bet is on "heck no!" from Roy even if someone suggests it.

David Argall
2013-08-20, 03:27 PM
Rejecting all help means taking a week or more to cross the ocean, and possibly all sorts of diversions along the way. And they face mega-lich at the far end. Tarquin likely has all sorts of toy to give them a chance. It may not be a good choice to fall for Tarquin's trap, but it may be the only chance they have.

Chantelune
2013-08-20, 03:39 PM
Depends if they still have that flying carpet. They can use it to, at least, go somewhere where they can get a teleport.

Now that Durkon is back, they might also decide to use wind walk instead.

Anyway, they're in no shape to take on Xykon right away. They'll need to wait for at least the morning so they can get back in shape, regroup, then consider their next step.

Sure, getting help from Tarquin would save a lot of time, but their recent history might get in the way and his gifts come with so many strings attached it's a wonder there's not a whole gang of cats coming after. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2013-08-20, 03:41 PM
They were separated from the carpet here:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0849.html

so it may be lying around somewhere near the crater- if it hasn't been buried in sand by the explosion already.

GSFB
2013-08-20, 04:26 PM
To command undead an evil cleric has to be *at least* double their level

Forget Redcloak. Xykon is an EPIC sorcerer with a necromantic bent. What are the odds he doesn't have the power to command Durkula?

angry_bear
2013-08-20, 04:36 PM

Redcloak does have the spell control undead, but Durkon's will save is going to be fairly solid, so it's a toss up as to whether or not that would work. Rebuking is definitely out of the question though.

Jiggs
2013-08-20, 04:46 PM
I don't understand this discussion. The Order is in no shape to refuse the offer!
They are in the middle of the desert, are badly bruised from their encounters, have no provisions or transportation and need to get to the Dwarven Lands and the last gate as soon as possible where Xurkon and Redcloak (and the MitD) have a head start on a dungeon situation they have no clue about.
So please explain someone to me short of a divine intervention how the Order is supposed to manage their quest?

Kish
2013-08-20, 04:47 PM
Redcloak does have the spell control undead,

Unless Redcloak has multiclassed to sorcerer or wizard and gained a ton of levels, he does not have the spell Control Undead.

I don't understand this discussion. The Order is in no shape to refuse the offer!
They are in the middle of the desert, are badly bruised from their encounters, have no provisions or transportation and need to get to the Dwarven Lands and the last gate as soon as possible where Xurkon and Redcloak (and the MitD) have a head start on a dungeon situation they have no clue about.
So please explain someone to me short of a divine intervention how the Order is supposed to manage their quest?
They're in no shape to refuse the offer because Tarquin could have them all killed, but they're no more "without transportation" than they were right before they came to Bleedingham, now that Durkon has rejoined them.

Forget Redcloak. Xykon is an EPIC sorcerer with a necromantic bent. What are the odds he doesn't have the power to command Durkula?
Considering he's a sorcerer, not a cleric? Pretty close to 100% guaranteed that he doesn't have the power to command Durkon, I'd say. Control Undead is conspicuously missing from O-Chul's list of his spells and he's never cast it. He's more likely to be able to command Roy; Roy has a crappy Will save, and while we don't know which mind-control spell Xykon has, those of us who've read Start of Darkness know he definitely has one.

Or he could cast Symbol of Insanity. That could really mess up the day of all the Order members...

...except the undead one.