PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Spambot Threads

Alabenson
2013-08-19, 05:38 PM
When it comes to spambot threads, is it better to simply ignore them, or would the mods prefer if we reported them when we see them?

Also, if its better to report them, would it be possible to add a box in the report post function to indicate that we're reporting spam?

Keris
2013-08-19, 05:41 PM
When it comes to spambot threads, is it better to simply ignore them, or would the mods prefer if we reported them when we see them? What would be the benefit of ignoring spam, rather than bringing it to the attention of moderators who can delete the thread? :smallconfused:

Also, if its better to report them, would it be possible to add a box in the report post function to indicate that we're reporting spam? The Report Post form already includes a box to explain why you're reporting a post - I just write in there that it's a spam thread.

Savannah
2013-08-19, 05:41 PM
Report (and don't reply). I always just write "spam" or "spambot" in the little box explaining why I'm reporting it.

eggynack
2013-08-19, 06:36 PM
I usually put in little notes that vary based on my mood, and on how the spam appears. I dunno the extent to which that stuff gets read though. In any case, report the spam as if it were your very heart on the line. In fact, do everything as if it were your very heart on the line, but make that doubly true for spam.

Derjuin
2013-08-19, 07:16 PM
When it comes to spambot threads, is it better to simply ignore them, or would the mods prefer if we reported them when we see them?

Also, if its better to report them, would it be possible to add a box in the report post function to indicate that we're reporting spam?

It's always better to report the post.

There is a box - when you report the post, you're asked to include details. Simply write "spam" or "spambot".

Oh, and don't reply to the post.

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-19, 07:25 PM
Sheriff: On spam:

1. Don't reply, which violates the Forum Rules.
2. Do report, if you are so inclined. Duplicate reports are collated in a way that makes them a single notice to the mods. We can usually see what the issue is from the first report, but it never hurts to have multiple reports.
3. Writing an explanation in the box is very helpful whenever you report something. I can honestly say though, that we know it's spam at a glance, so your pithy or clever explanations probably go unread unless you are the first reporter, and probably even then.