PDA

View Full Version : Does this build work?

PangolinPie
2013-08-19, 09:41 PM
A friend I know online who knows little about optimized builds asked me to put together a build for him. His idea was to do sort of an "Alchemy Ninja" who can make both potions, alchemical weapons, a decent sneak attack and yet wouldn't be s*** out of luck if he was stuck in melee combat. So this is what I came up with:

Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler 1/ Sorcerer 1/ Abjurant Champion 3/ Alchemist Savant 5/ Spellwarp Sniper 5/ Abjurant Champion 2

All the prereq's work and I put in a lot of ranged combat feats to aid in hurling viles at opponents as well as boosting his ranged spellcasting. He only loses out on 4 levels of casting early on but is still pretty proficient. I'm going to have him ask his DM if abjuration enhancements via the Abjurant Champion buffs could be applied to spellvial creation.

Any suggestions on how I could rework this? I'm not sure how stingy his DM is about dipping so I maxed out a handful of 5-level progression PRSC's...most don't care much about dipping in base classes.

Waker
2013-08-20, 01:04 AM
Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler 1/ Sorcerer 1/ Abjurant Champion 3/ Alchemist Savant 5/ Spellwarp Sniper 5/ Abjurant Champion 2

All the prereq's work and I put in a lot of ranged combat feats to aid in hurling viles at opponents as well as boosting his ranged spellcasting. He only loses out on 4 levels of casting early on but is still pretty proficient. I'm going to have him ask his DM if abjuration enhancements via the Abjurant Champion buffs could be applied to spellvial creation.
You can't meet the BAB requirements for Abjurant Champion by fifth level, nor do you meet the Spell requirement or have Brew Potion (soonest you can get it is 9th level with the current class distribution) for Alchemist Savant by level 8. You're gonna have to change your class levels around a bit for it.

dysprosium
2013-08-20, 01:35 PM
Messing around with this idea I came up with this:

Ninja 3/Martial Wizard 2/Fighter 2/Abjurant Champion 3/Alchemist Savant 5

would be good to pick up feats Grenadier and Mad Alchemist (both PHB II); Brew Potion for your level 9 feat

Feralventas
2013-08-20, 02:43 PM
If you'll allow Pathfinder content, the Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) base class with the Vivisectionist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/vivisectionist) archetype might be just what the doctor ordered. Sneak attack, brew potion, poison use, semi-magical effects via formulas, and a pretty well rounded class in the first place.

That said, while the build you have looks alright, it seems like it's better suited for a Gish rather than using alchemy. You might also want to consider looking at the Master Alchemist prestige class in Magic of Faerun, which allows you to craft higher level spells (up to 9th level by the end of the 10 level progression) into potions as well as speeding up the process of crafting them by allowing the alchemist to brew two potions at the same time rather than the usual magic item creation limit of 1 at a time.

Then you've just got to figure out how to make the spell go off on impact and combine with the Throw Anything feat.

nedz
2013-08-20, 08:05 PM
Why not something like

Rogue 1 / Wizard 4 / Unseen Seer 1 / Alchemist Savant 5 / Unseen Seer +9
5d6 sneak, 19 levels of Wizard casting, reasonable skill points.
Use Martial Wizard to exchange Scribe Scroll for a fighter feat.

or

Rogue 1 / Beguiler 4 / Unseen Seer 2 / Alchemist Savant 5 / Unseen Seer +8
5d6 sneak, 19 levels of Beguiler casting, better skill points.
This does limit the potions you can make, but extending the Beguiler list is easy.

or

Rogue 2 / Beguiler 3 / Unseen Seer 3 / Alchemist Savant 5 / Unseen Seer +7
5d6 sneak, 18 levels of Beguiler casting, better skill points and Evasion.

Mix up those levels of AS and US for earlier skills if you wish

You could change Rogue for Ninja if you want, but it's a bit pointless since you have lots of spells which can more than emulate the ninja abilities anyway.

Waker
2013-08-20, 08:17 PM
How about replacing the Sorcerer with Sha'ir? It's got access to the whole wizard/sorcerer spell list, but has more flexibility than the Sorcerer. It's still Charisma focused (if that mattered) but has better spell progression and a superior skill list. Plus you could even fluff can work since the word Alchemy itself is a mish-mash of Greek and Arabic.

IronFist
2013-08-21, 12:43 AM
A big +1 to vivisectionist.