PDA

View Full Version : 3.X - variant liches?

gurgleflep
2013-08-19, 09:47 PM
I'm looking for variant liches and lich-like beings that use the typical magic but also versions that use melee, psionics, and various other in-game systems. I remember an iron lich from Monsternomicon, the good lich from Monsters of Faerun(?), illithilich, and the regular lich - are there any others out there?

Our current list:

Lich - Monster Manual*
Alhoon - Lords of Madness and Monsters of Faerun
Dry Lich - Sandstorm
Death Knight - Monster Manual II
Death Knight of Krynn - Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Huecuva - Fiend Folio
Good Lich - Libris Mortis and Monsters of Faerun
Lichfiend - Libris Mortis
Iron Lich - Monsternomicon (Iron Kingdoms IIRC)
Dracolich - Draconomicon
Demilich - Epic Level Handbook
Shadow - Tome of Magic
Balenorn - Monsters of Faerun
Banelich - Monsters of Faerun
Archlich - Monsters of Faerun
Drowlich - Complete Guide to Liches
Novalich - Complete Guide to Liches
Philiolich - Complete Guide to Liches
Semi-Lich - Complete Guide to Liches
Warlich - Complete Guide to Liches
Sepulchral Thief - Cityscape
Suel Lich - Dragon Magazine #339
Spectral Savant - Complete Psionic
Psionic Lich - Hyperconscious
Psilich - Ravenloft DMG
Vassalich - Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume II
Elemental Lich - Denizen of Dread
Dread Lich - Advanced Bestiary
Grisgol - Monster Manual III
Psionic Lich** - If Thoughts Could Kill

* Can be applied to whoever sits in the Dead Throne, which can be found in Sandstorm.

** May be the same as the one in Hyperconscious, I'll have to check.

SaintRidley
2013-08-19, 09:54 PM
Off the top of my head:

Alhoon (Illithilich) - just apply the lich template as is to a mind flayer.

Dracolich - see Draconomicon

Good lich - see Libris Mortis

Lichfiend - see Libris Mortis

Dry Lich - see Sandstorm

I think there was a third variant in Librid Mortis, they're listed after the sample liches near the back of the book.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-19, 10:07 PM
Don't forget the Demilich (Epic Level Handbook).

Hytheter
2013-08-19, 10:13 PM
I'm looking for variant liches and lich-like beings that use the typical magic but also versions that use melee, psionics, and various other in-game systems. I remember an iron lich from Monsternomicon, the good lich from Monsters of Faerun(?), illithilich, and the regular lich - are there any others out there?

You could just use the normal Lich template on different things.
Apply the template to a wizard? Now you have the typical magic Lich.
Apply it to a fighter? Now you have a melee Lich.
Apply it to a psion? Now you have a psionic Lich*.
Apply it to... uh, various other in game systems? Now you have various other... Lich... systems? You get the idea.

*The template doesn't actually specify that the creature retains psionic abilities, but I think its reasonable to say that it would.

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-19, 10:21 PM
Monsters of Faerun also have assorted liches, including the baelnorn, good lich, Alhoon (Ithilid Lich, also seen in Lords of Madness), and Banelich.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-19, 10:48 PM
Shadow Lich (Tome of Magic, Pg. 168): Statistically identical to standard lich, but is based on and uses mysteries instead of spells, and has a Gem of Night as their phylactery.

karkus
2013-08-19, 11:41 PM
A Huecuva is a template added to divine spellcasters, but I believe it reduces their Int by 6 points and erases any memories of their living lives.

A Death Knight is like a lich for characters with combat-oriented classes (Fighters, Fallen Paladins, Rangers, Barbarians, Swashbucklers, etc.).

Those are the best two I can think of that weren't posted before

gurgleflep
2013-08-20, 12:08 AM
Thank you all, this is very helpful :smallsmile:

So far we've got these guys/gals:
(see first comment, I moved it)

Any others? Third party is acceptable as well.

Milo v3
2013-08-20, 12:19 AM
In 3rd Party The Complete Guide to Liches it has:

Drowlich: It has HD 20. Hopefully an error.
Novalich: Temporary Lichdom
Philolich: For the loved ones of liches.
Semi-Lich: A failed lich.
Warlich: Like a Death Knight.

VariSami
2013-08-20, 12:31 AM
Cityscape has a rogue template that comes very close to the lich in power level, and it even references itself as something of a lich template for sneaks. The name is Sepulchral Thief.

BladeofObliviom
2013-08-20, 12:36 AM
There's also the Suel Lich, from Greyhawk, but I have no idea if that got converted to 3.5.

It's a really cool concept, though: Dante from the 2003 anime of Fullmetal Alchemist would be a Suel Lich if she were playing in a DnD game.

EDIT: Apparently, it's in Dragon Magazine #339.

gurgleflep
2013-08-20, 12:37 AM
In 3rd Party The Complete Guide to Liches it has:

Drowlich: It has HD 20. Hopefully an error.
Novalich: Temporary Lichdom
Philolich: For the loved ones of liches.
Semi-Lich: A failed lich.
Warlich: Like a Death Knight.

Thanks for those, I'll add `em to the list and move that (the list) up to the original comment :smallsmile:

Cityscape has a rogue template that comes very close to the lich in power level, and it even references itself as something of a lich template for sneaks. The name is Sepulchral Thief.

Is it an undead? Dumb question, I just realized "sepulcher" is basically the first word.

There's also the Suel Lich, from Greyhawk, but I have no idea if that got converted to 3.5.

It's a really cool concept, though: Dante from the 2003 anime of Fullmetal Alchemist would be a Suel Lich if she were playing in a DnD game.

EDIT: Apparently, it's in Dragon Magazine #339.

Thank you, I'll add it to the list as well :smallsmile:

Andezzar
2013-08-20, 12:53 AM
You could just use the normal Lich template on different things.
Apply the template to a wizard? Now you have the typical magic Lich.
Apply it to a fighter? Now you have a melee Lich.
Apply it to a psion? Now you have a psionic Lich*.
Apply it to... uh, various other in game systems? Now you have various other... Lich... systems? You get the idea.Unless they are also a CL 11 Spellcaster with the create Wondrous Item Feat that won't work.

*The template doesn't actually specify that the creature retains psionic abilities, but I think its reasonable to say that it would.Actually it does:
A lich has all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
[...]
A lich retains all class abilities it had in life.

Karnith
2013-08-20, 06:36 AM
For the sake of completeness, the Death Knight template is in Monster Manual II (there's also the Death Knight of Krynn, which is in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting), and the Huecuva is in Fiend Folio.

Unless they are also a CL 11 Spellcaster with the create Wondrous Item Feat that won't work.
There is the Dead Throne, which is an artifact in Sandstorm that applies the lich template to whoever sits on it, even if they don't normally qualify. Or, you know, DM fiat.

gurgleflep
2013-08-20, 12:49 PM
For the sake of completeness, the Death Knight template is in Monster Manual II (there's also the Death Knight of Krynn, which is in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting), and the Huecuva is in Fiend Folio.

There is the Dead Throne, which is an artifact in Sandstorm that applies the lich template to whoever sits on it, even if they don't normally qualify. Or, you know, DM fiat.

Thank you for specifying the books, I hadn't had time to look for them yet :smallsmile:

I gotta get one of those thrones! :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2013-08-20, 01:16 PM
Doesn't Libris Mortis have some very basic variant options for liches in the back pages? Like, where they talk about Fast Zombies and Daywalker Vampires?

Psyren
2013-08-20, 01:26 PM
There are two psionic ones - the Spectral Savant from CPsi and the Psionic Lich from Hyperconscious. The former has no real "phylactery" to speak of, though strictly speaking any Psion can get one by using Astral Seed.

gurgleflep
2013-08-20, 01:26 PM
Doesn't Libris Mortis have some very basic variant options for liches in the back pages? Like, where they talk about Fast Zombies and Daywalker Vampires?

None that I'm aware of but I'll take a look through it now.
Just quick-skimmed through, they're the lichfiend and good lich.

There are two psionic ones - the Spectral Savant from CPsi and the Psionic Lich from Hyperconscious. The former has no real "phylactery" to speak of, though strictly speaking any Psion can get one by using Astral Seed.

Thanks, I love me some psionics! :smallbiggrin:

Astral Avenger
2013-08-20, 01:31 PM
Yep, thats the Good lich and the lichfiend, I believe both are allready up on the list.

Edit: Ninjad

nickia
2013-08-20, 06:35 PM
This is a variant I've been using in a game I'm DMing.
RATHIAN BONECLAW (LICH)
Large Undead
Hit Dice: 10d12+40 (105 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (–1 size, +4 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Piercing claw +7 melee (2d6+7)* + (1d8+5 negative energy)
Full Attack: 2 piercing claws +7 melee (2d6+7)* + (1d8+5 negative energy)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Reaching claws, damaging touch, fear aura, wield the core, osteophage, spells
Special Qualities: +4 turn resistance, damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold, undead traits, unholy toughness, bone spurs, surgical bones
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +9
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 18, Con —, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 19
Skills: Hide +13, Intimidate +17, Listen +15, Move Silently +17, Search +15, Spot +15
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (claw), Power Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, skeleton
Challenge Rating: 16
Treasure: None
Alignment: Never Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 11–22 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: 13
This large skeletal humanoid’s clawlike fingers are at least two feet long. Worse, the slender, knife-sharp claws contract and extend in length from moment to moment, sometimes instantly reaching a length of 10 or more feet, before slowly contracting.
The boneclaw is a powerful lich who was a master of the ways of oesteomancy during his natural life and as such, in undeath, possesses exceptional control over the length of its claws as well as all bones in general. At will, a boneclaw can extend one or two of its finger-claws out to a distance of 20 feet, neatly skewering fleshy creatures that stand in the way.
A boneclaw stands about 8 feet tall and weighs about 260 pounds.
Boneclaws speak Common.
COMBAT
A boneclaw likes to get the drop on its enemies, especially when its foes are still at range, surprising them with an attack of opportunity by extending its claws as its enemies close to melee range. With its Combat
Reflexes, this can occur often within the same fight. A boneclaw normally attacks using its Power Attack feat, taking a –2 penalty on its attack rolls and gaining a +2 bonus on damage rolls.
Reaching Claws (Ex): A boneclaw can make melee attacks with its bone claws, instantly extending them as part of an attack to a distance of up to 20 feet (thereby allowing the boneclaw to threaten more squares than even its Large size would otherwise indicate).
Unholy Toughness (Ex): A boneclaw gains bonus to its hit points equal to its Charisma modifier its Hit Dice.
Fear Aura (Su): Liches are shrouded in a dreadful aura of death and evil. Creatures of less than 5 HD in a 60-foot radius that look at the lich must succeed on a Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell from a sorcerer of the lich’s level. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same lich’s aura for 24 hours.
A boneclaw may activate or deactivate this aura at-will as a free action.
Bone Spurs (Su): The protruding spikes of bone act as armor spikes and spiked gauntlets. The boneclaw is automatically proficient in the weapons forged directly from his own skeleton, but not the normal weapons of the same type.
He may use this ability at will. As natural weapons, the boneclaw’s bone spurs cannot be sundered.
Surgical Bones (Su): A boneclaw’s bone spurs and bone claws act as adamantine, cold iron, and silver weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Wield the Core (Su): A boneclaw can telepathically control the physical actions of any creature with a skeleton. The target creature must be within 30 feet, and is allowed a Fortitude save (DC 15 + Charisma modifier) to negate the effect. On a failed save, the boneclaw can control the movements of the subject by forcing its bones to move however the boneclaw wills.
The effect only allows the boneclaw to control the movement of the creature's bone structure, and not its mind. Thus, the bone claw cannot make the controlled creature speak, but he can cause the creature's jaws to clench shut, which would prevent a character from casting a spell with a verbal component or using an item that has a command word. This effect lasts for a number of minutes equal to the boneclaws charisma modifier.
Obviously suicidal commands, such as forcing the creature to walk off a cliff or jump into lava, end the effect. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as the osteomancer has line of effect to the subject. Because the osteomancer must remain in line of effect (and therefore potentially keeping himself in harm's way), commanding a creature to face an obviously superior foe does not end the effect. As this power targets the bone structure of a being, rather than its mind, corporeal undead are subject to its effect. The osteomancer can use this power three times per day.
Osteophage (Su): This loth-level ability is the most lethal power at the osteomancer's command. Once per day, an osteomancer can cause the skeleton of a target to liquefy in a matter of seconds, causing the target to collapse in on itself This collapse causes instant death on a failed Fortitude save (DC 15 + Charisma modifier); a successful save prevents skeletal collapse but still deals 10d6 points of damage.
THE LICH’S PHYLACTERY
An integral part of becoming a lich is creating a magic phylactery in which the character stores its life force. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a lich for sure is to destroy its phylactery. Unless its phylactery is located and destroyed, a lich reappears 1d10 days after its apparent death.
Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation. All Rathi Boneclaw phylacteries require the involvement of bones of a descendent of the lich hopeful. For example, one prominent Rathi Boneclaw’s phylactery consists of the adamantine plated bones of his stillborn son covered in fine gold and silver traceries.

gurgleflep
2013-08-20, 09:20 PM
This is a variant I've been using in a game I'm DMing.
RATHIAN BONECLAW (LICH)
Large Undead
Hit Dice: 10d12+40 (105 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (–1 size, +4 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Piercing claw +7 melee (2d6+7)* + (1d8+5 negative energy)
Full Attack: 2 piercing claws +7 melee (2d6+7)* + (1d8+5 negative energy)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Reaching claws, damaging touch, fear aura, wield the core, osteophage, spells
Special Qualities: +4 turn resistance, damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold, undead traits, unholy toughness, bone spurs, surgical bones
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +9
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 18, Con —, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 19
Skills: Hide +13, Intimidate +17, Listen +15, Move Silently +17, Search +15, Spot +15
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (claw), Power Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, skeleton
Challenge Rating: 16
Treasure: None
Alignment: Never Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 11–22 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: 13
This large skeletal humanoid’s clawlike fingers are at least two feet long. Worse, the slender, knife-sharp claws contract and extend in length from moment to moment, sometimes instantly reaching a length of 10 or more feet, before slowly contracting.
The boneclaw is a powerful lich who was a master of the ways of oesteomancy during his natural life and as such, in undeath, possesses exceptional control over the length of its claws as well as all bones in general. At will, a boneclaw can extend one or two of its finger-claws out to a distance of 20 feet, neatly skewering fleshy creatures that stand in the way.
A boneclaw stands about 8 feet tall and weighs about 260 pounds.
Boneclaws speak Common.
COMBAT
A boneclaw likes to get the drop on its enemies, especially when its foes are still at range, surprising them with an attack of opportunity by extending its claws as its enemies close to melee range. With its Combat
Reflexes, this can occur often within the same fight. A boneclaw normally attacks using its Power Attack feat, taking a –2 penalty on its attack rolls and gaining a +2 bonus on damage rolls.
Reaching Claws (Ex): A boneclaw can make melee attacks with its bone claws, instantly extending them as part of an attack to a distance of up to 20 feet (thereby allowing the boneclaw to threaten more squares than even its Large size would otherwise indicate).
Unholy Toughness (Ex): A boneclaw gains bonus to its hit points equal to its Charisma modifier its Hit Dice.
Fear Aura (Su): Liches are shrouded in a dreadful aura of death and evil. Creatures of less than 5 HD in a 60-foot radius that look at the lich must succeed on a Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell from a sorcerer of the lich’s level. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same lich’s aura for 24 hours.
A boneclaw may activate or deactivate this aura at-will as a free action.
Bone Spurs (Su): The protruding spikes of bone act as armor spikes and spiked gauntlets. The boneclaw is automatically proficient in the weapons forged directly from his own skeleton, but not the normal weapons of the same type.
He may use this ability at will. As natural weapons, the boneclaw’s bone spurs cannot be sundered.
Surgical Bones (Su): A boneclaw’s bone spurs and bone claws act as adamantine, cold iron, and silver weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Wield the Core (Su): A boneclaw can telepathically control the physical actions of any creature with a skeleton. The target creature must be within 30 feet, and is allowed a Fortitude save (DC 15 + Charisma modifier) to negate the effect. On a failed save, the boneclaw can control the movements of the subject by forcing its bones to move however the boneclaw wills.
The effect only allows the boneclaw to control the movement of the creature's bone structure, and not its mind. Thus, the bone claw cannot make the controlled creature speak, but he can cause the creature's jaws to clench shut, which would prevent a character from casting a spell with a verbal component or using an item that has a command word. This effect lasts for a number of minutes equal to the boneclaws charisma modifier.
Obviously suicidal commands, such as forcing the creature to walk off a cliff or jump into lava, end the effect. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as the osteomancer has line of effect to the subject. Because the osteomancer must remain in line of effect (and therefore potentially keeping himself in harm's way), commanding a creature to face an obviously superior foe does not end the effect. As this power targets the bone structure of a being, rather than its mind, corporeal undead are subject to its effect. The osteomancer can use this power three times per day.
Osteophage (Su): This loth-level ability is the most lethal power at the osteomancer's command. Once per day, an osteomancer can cause the skeleton of a target to liquefy in a matter of seconds, causing the target to collapse in on itself This collapse causes instant death on a failed Fortitude save (DC 15 + Charisma modifier); a successful save prevents skeletal collapse but still deals 10d6 points of damage.
THE LICH’S PHYLACTERY
An integral part of becoming a lich is creating a magic phylactery in which the character stores its life force. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a lich for sure is to destroy its phylactery. Unless its phylactery is located and destroyed, a lich reappears 1d10 days after its apparent death.
Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation. All Rathi Boneclaw phylacteries require the involvement of bones of a descendent of the lich hopeful. For example, one prominent Rathi Boneclaw’s phylactery consists of the adamantine plated bones of his stillborn son covered in fine gold and silver traceries.

Chicken in a basket, 13 LA?! :smalleek: I can see why it's that but yowzers that's a lot.

nickia
2013-08-21, 10:16 AM
Chicken in a basket, 13 LA?! :smalleek: I can see why it's that but yowzers that's a lot.

Yeah, In my campaign it is the head of a house of nobility, and for now while the player's are lower level they simply receive orders from him as who appears to them as nothing more than a shadowy cloaked figure, and will remain that way until the big climatic battle between warring houses in my city of Rathi.

Also instead of just doing the level adjustment any play could instead invest ten levels in the Osteomancer prestige class, use the bones of one of their descendants and go about becoming a Lich as normal.

Andezzar
2013-08-21, 10:53 AM
You are aware that the posted monster is an epic character? 10 RHD+13LA=ECL 23

OldTrees1
2013-08-21, 11:20 AM
Yeah, In my campaign it is the head of a house of nobility, and for now while the player's are lower level they simply receive orders from him as who appears to them as nothing more than a shadowy cloaked figure, and will remain that way until the big climatic battle between warring houses in my city of Rathi.

Also instead of just doing the level adjustment any play could instead invest ten levels in the Osteomancer prestige class, use the bones of one of their descendants and go about becoming a Lich as normal.

If 13LA can be replaced with 10 class levels and 4LA, then you are overestimating the initial LA. I would even pay 10RHD + 4LA much more readily than 13LA.

Zubrowka74
2013-08-21, 11:23 AM
Ravenloft has Vassalich, I don't recall if it's anywhere but in the 3.0 Domains of Dread. And there's the Bardic Lich, again not sure it made it out of 2e and it's also a unique creature.

And did I see a "half-lich" template somewhere or is this homebrew ?

PaintByBlood
2013-08-21, 11:57 AM
There is a Psionic Lich in the Ravenloft DMG, though I don't know how it compares to the one in Hyperconcious since I don't have either book.
I will say though that psionic lichen disappoint me on the whole. They go too far into the undead theme, which just isn't appropriate for psionics. At least psionics as per the XPH.

There is also an Archlich somewhere, which is for the most part just a good lich. I can't recall where, though.

nickia
2013-08-21, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the input OldTrees1. I do realize they it is an epic NPC, my players are currently level 16-18.

nickia
2013-08-21, 12:30 PM
Archlich is in MoF

gurgleflep
2013-08-21, 01:54 PM
Archlich has been added.

For the other liches:
Are the Ravenloft vassalich and psionic lich 3.X?
Is there actually a half-lich, what edition is it in and where can I find it if it does exist?
Has the bardic lich been updated to 3.X?

gurgleflep
2013-08-21, 09:26 PM
I've updated with the ones I could find from the few previous comments - the Ravenloft lich is called the "Psilich".
Any others anybody knows of? :smallsmile:

Zubrowka74
2013-08-22, 12:05 PM
Apparently the Vassalich is described in the Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume II by White Wolf / Sword & Sorcery. It is 3.x material.

Poking around monster lists I also found mentions of the Defiler Lich and the Drider Lich, without actual reference. I'll get back to you if I find something, in the other Gazetteer volumes most likely.

Zubrowka74
2013-08-22, 12:23 PM
Ah, gotcha! Found a repository of the 3.x Ravenloft material. SO far the only one I found bessides the Vassalich :

Elemental Lich, Denizen of Dread

Roguenewb
2013-08-22, 12:30 PM
I believe a web article has a fey lich, but I for the life of me, can't remember the name of it. Functionally, something that pissed of the Seelie court so much they cut off access to all of life from it. It is of course, pissed about this.

Zubrowka74
2013-08-22, 12:35 PM
I believe a web article has a fey lich, but I for the life of me, can't remember the name of it. Functionally, something that pissed of the Seelie court so much they cut off access to all of life from it. It is of course, pissed about this.

Well, generally speaking there's a good proportion of liches that are pissed. I don't know if this is a prereq or a result from the template, but it's there.

gurgleflep
2013-08-22, 12:45 PM
Apparently the Vassalich is described in the Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume II by White Wolf / Sword & Sorcery. It is 3.x material.

Poking around monster lists I also found mentions of the Defiler Lich and the Drider Lich, without actual reference. I'll get back to you if I find something, in the other Gazetteer volumes most likely.

Ah, gotcha! Found a repository of the 3.x Ravenloft material. SO far the only one I found bessides the Vassalich :

Elemental Lich, Denizen of Dread

I'll add the vassalich and the elemental lich to the list, thanks for pointing out more :smallsmile: I'll keep an eye on the thread and respond to the best of my abilities - I've been kinda busy lately.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-22, 01:19 PM
While I'm not certain if this would count, I feel I owe it a mention.

Spectral Savant: Complete Psionic. Think.. Incorporeal, psionic version of a lich... whose ritual to become a lich involves creating a form of crystal phylactery, and absorbing it, and they do not -need- to be evil, and they drain power points to manifest and survive.

gurgleflep
2013-08-22, 01:23 PM
While I'm not certain if this would count, I feel I owe it a mention.

Spectral Savant: Complete Psionic. Think.. Incorporeal, psionic version of a lich... whose ritual to become a lich involves creating a form of crystal phylactery, and absorbing it, and they do not -need- to be evil, and they drain power points to manifest and survive.

I've already got that one on the list :smallsmile:

Xuldarinar
2013-08-22, 04:21 PM
I've already got that one on the list :smallsmile:

Alright.

Now I'm wondering, if there would be any difference between a lich (or similar undead) based on the conscious mind (standard psionics), and one based on the subconscious mind (Subpsionics)..

gurgleflep
2013-08-22, 09:29 PM
Alright.

Now I'm wondering, if there would be any difference between a lich (or similar undead) based on the conscious mind (standard psionics), and one based on the subconscious mind (Subpsionics)..

I don't know what the difference would be, but now I'm gonna read through the psionic liches that are listed to see if any of them use those two!

unseenmage
2013-08-22, 10:34 PM
How about the Grisgol from the MM3?

It's not necessarily a Lich but I could certainly see one Lich using the phylacteries of other Liches to make them.

Might be worth an honorable mention at least.

Edit: I'm looking for a Mirror Lich for a game I want to run if anyone knows of one.
And I kinda remember there being a Druid Lich but I have no clue where I'm remembering the Druid Lich from.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-22, 10:40 PM
I don't know what the difference would be, but now I'm gonna read through the psionic liches that are listed to see if any of them use those two!

Well, the assumption would be they use standard psionics.

Subpsionics are from here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pse/20021025a), and in the update/expansion of them I'm doing (link in my description). Its not a concept explored at all in any of the books, to my knowledge. So, at this point it would just be a matter of a difference in powers, but someone could make a specific variant.

Zubrowka74
2013-08-23, 09:24 AM
I've scanned through what I had from White wolf and found no more.

The rosh-peger is the decapitated head of a lich (think what happened to Xyxon rather than a demilich) that was not ported to 3.x, unfortunately.

Psyren
2013-08-23, 10:34 AM
FYI: Subspsionics is from 3.0 and is basically an attempt to make a "Shadow Weave" for psionics. The primary purpose is to make your psionics harder to detect. It can be converted but is more useful to the DM (for creating mysteries etc.) than it is for the players.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-23, 12:55 PM
FYI: Subspsionics is from 3.0 and is basically an attempt to make a "Shadow Weave" for psionics. The primary purpose is to make your psionics harder to detect. It can be converted but is more useful to the DM (for creating mysteries etc.) than it is for the players.

Indeed it is (from 3.0), which gave me a reason to start an Expanded Subpsionics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299103) project. Its useable as is in 3.5, but conversions help.

Back to liches. Perhaps later I could cook up a variant that fits subpsionics, maybe I'll call it an Idlich. Wouldnt be official content, but could serve to fill a niche.

As for official liches, now i got nothing.

Milo v3
2013-08-23, 08:27 PM
Dread Lich from Advanced Bestiary

gurgleflep
2013-08-23, 09:23 PM
Dread Lich from Advanced Bestiary

Is that the whole title of the book? Just found it, it's a Green Ronin book.
I'll add that one in now.:smallsmile:

unseenmage
2013-08-23, 09:25 PM
Is that the whole title of the book? I'll add that one in now.:smallsmile:

What, no love for the Grisgol? :smallsmile:

I really really wish I had more to contribute to this thread. My amalgam-verse's Council of Liches will never be the same thanks to it.

gurgleflep
2013-08-23, 09:27 PM
What, no love for the Grisgol? :smallsmile:

I really really wish I had more to contribute to this thread. My amalgam-verse's Council of Liches will never be the same thanks to it.

Sorry! Completely looked over that one :smalleek:

What's an "amalgam-verse's Council of Liches"?

unseenmage
2013-08-23, 09:29 PM
Sorry! Completely looked over that one :smalleek:

What's an "amalgam-verse's Council of Liches"?

OUr game is played in an amalgam-verse as I like to call it. All the books, all the time. Like a multiverse but it's all mixed up into one cosmology. And it has a council of liches. That's all.

It also has a council of Paragon Mind Flayers but they're on a whole 'nother level. :smallsmile:

gurgleflep
2013-08-23, 09:38 PM
OUr game is played in an amalgam-verse as I like to call it. All the books, all the time. Like a multiverse but it's all mixed up into one cosmology. And it has a council of liches. That's all.

It also has a council of Paragon Mind Flayers but they're on a whole 'nother level. :smallsmile:

So you basically just draw stuff in from all sources? My group does the same thing with a map I've drawn up.

Is there an Alhoon in the Council of Liches? He could be part of both groups :smallamused:

unseenmage
2013-08-23, 09:40 PM
So you basically just draw stuff in from all sources? My group does the same thing with a map I've drawn up.

Is there an Alhoon in the Council of Liches? He could be part of both groups :smallamused:

There is now. :smallbiggrin:

The game's been down for a while now. About to get a reboot.
Every time a group of players disbands I advance my gameworld's history by a few hundred years. Without brave heroes there to save the day things get pretty bad pretty quick.

gurgleflep
2013-08-24, 01:40 AM
There is now. :smallbiggrin:

The game's been down for a while now. About to get a reboot.
Every time a group of players disbands I advance my gameworld's history by a few hundred years. Without brave heroes there to save the day things get pretty bad pretty quick.

Had ya'll not thought of that? If you and your group hadn't, I'm glad I was able to help :smallcool: My campaign's currently on permanent hiatus (only two players I've got are divorcing).

And on the lich list: I found another psionic lich and have added it to the list - it's at the bottom of the list.