PDA

View Full Version : Demi-Wands (mage-weapons)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-17, 10:41 PM
Demi-Wands
Two-handed Ranged Mage-weapon
Damage: 1d8
Critical: x2
Range Increment: 80 feet.
Weight: 1 lb.
Damage Type: See below*
Cost: 500gp

Demi-wands are designed with casters in mind. They can look like anything from a small wand to a long staff to a crossbow-like device but usually are tipped with some kind of magical catalyst, such as an idol or a crystal.
When used, this weapon fires a small glowing bead of energy that looks like it's energy descriptor, such as glowing blue for ice, and flaming orange for fire and so on. Using the device requires the Mage-weapon proficiency feat and the ability to cast spells of some sort.
Size does not change how much damage is done using this kind of weapon. Damage dealt using Demi-wands add the casters main casting stat to damage, like a sword would using the wielder's Str modifier. Full attack actions can be made using Demi-Wands.
When first created the creator must pick one metal stat (Int, Wis or Cha) and when chosen that is the one stat the extra damage dealt will come from. So a Cha-based Demi-Wand would benefit a sorcerer more than a wizard.

*Creators may add an energy descriptor to the Demi-Wand, such as fire, cold, acid, electricity, force or sonic. If sonic or force is used the damage is reduced to 1d6.

Mage weapons, like all normal weapons require melee or ranged attacks, not touch or ranged touch attacks. And like normal weapons, they are unaffected by spell resistance. Mage weapons of most every kind are created using a powerful conjuration effect, making a small semi-solid mass of element to fire at foes but don't have the same kind of power as normal spells so armors and shields and even thick enough skin may deflect them.

Creating a demi-wand requires a DC 20 craft (weaponsmithing) check and the Craft Wondrous Item or Craft Wand feat.

Mage-Weapon Proficiency
You can use mage-specific weapons.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells or 4 or more ranks in Use Magic Device.
Benefit: You can use all mage-weapons proficiently.
Special: Any primary caster (classes who's first level has spellcasting capabilities) take only a -2 nonproficiency penalty while using mage-weapons without this feat.

Single-handed Wand-wielder
You may wield Demi-wands and other 2-handed mage weapons in one hand.
Prerequisites: Mage-weapon proficiency
Benefit: You do not incur nonproficiency penalties for wielding a Demi-wand or other 2-handed mage weapons in one hand.
Normal: Demi-wands and other 2-handed mage weapons can only be wielded as two-handed weapons without incuring nonproficiency penalties

Use Magic Device (Cha)
There is a special rule for Use Magic Device checks and mage weapons. While following the normal guidelines for 'faking' higher ability scores with use magic device checks one may improve the damage dealt with mage-weaponry, depending on what mental stat the specific mage-weapon uses.
Special: Use Magic Device checks cannot be made to improve damage without the Mage-Weapon Proficiency feat.
--
I got this idea while playing my Necromancer on Guild Wars and liked the idea of this kind of weapon. So here's a whack at it. Tell me what y'all think.

Also, if you have any mage-weapons feel free to post them.

Latronis
2006-12-17, 11:11 PM
One handed? two-handed?

perhaps both with two handers doing more damage?

perhaps you could have different sorts of mage-weapons based around the types of casters

so the same weapon doesn't benefit a druid the same way it does a wizard, one has the intmod-to-damage another has wismod-to-damage.

why do they need to be able to cast spells? They have to take a feat to use it, also gives noncasters a way of dealing a specific damage type cheaply. Or can they be activated without the feat just taking the standard nonproficiency penalties?

Also if used would casters get the feat automatically?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-17, 11:32 PM
One handed? two-handed?

perhaps both with two handers doing more damage?

perhaps you could have different sorts of mage-weapons based around the types of casters

so the same weapon doesn't benefit a druid the same way it does a wizard, one has the intmod-to-damage another has wismod-to-damage.

why do they need to be able to cast spells? They have to take a feat to use it, also gives noncasters a way of dealing a specific damage type cheaply. Or can they be activated without the feat just taking the standard nonproficiency penalties?

Also if used would casters get the feat automatically?

I was thinking they'd just be one-handed with no extra damage in two hands. Afterall, they're just ranged.

This is just the first one, I was hoping there'd be melee and light mage-weapons. This would just be better for the more dex-benefited arcane casters who have little to no armor abilities, but there ought to be a melee version for the more Str-based druids and clerics soon enough, as soon as I think of them.

Perhaps when it's built it only benefits from one mental stat to damage.

Maybe either ability to cast spells or 4 or more ranks in Use Magic Device.

If you felt like houseruling it maybe casters could automatically gain the feat. Perhaps limiting it to primary casters, like wizards and clerics and warmages and such.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-17, 11:41 PM
Mage-Cudgle
One-handed melee mage-weapon
Damage: 1d8
Critical: x2
Weight: 3 lb.
Damage Type: See below
Cost: 500gp

Mage-Cudgle's often look like heavy maces with cages in place of heads encasing some sort of magical catalyst, such as a holy idol, a magical crystal or even a tiny shroud of energy.
Upon Creation the energy and Mental stat must be chosen, just as demi-wands (including reducing damage to d6 for sonic or force damage) but Mage-Cudgles may apply 1+1/2 times the mental stat when wielding one in both hands.

Latronis
2006-12-17, 11:42 PM
I was thinking they'd just be one-handed with no extra damage in two hands. Afterall, they're just ranged.

Well Just one-handed is fine but i what i was asking if they came in 2-handed variants aswell, with a higher weapon damage, not higher stat mod to damage.

This is just the first one, I was hoping there'd be melee and light mage-weapons. This would just be better for the more dex-benefited arcane casters who have little to no armor abilities, but there ought to be a melee version for the more Str-based druids and clerics soon enough, as soon as I think of them.

I don't really see much point to this, why not jsut use a real weapon? or are you wanting to have a melee weapon with casting stat to damage? you'd have to be careful not to have them overshadowing melee weapons.

Perhaps when it's built it only benefits from one mental stat to damage.

I was just thinking, you know a clerics magic weapon would be different from a mages. I can see arguments for just the ability to cast spells being enough though.

Maybe either ability to cast spells or 4 or more ranks in Use Magic Device.

I actually meant to make a mention of how use magic device would interact with them.

If you felt like houseruling it maybe casters could automatically gain the feat. Perhaps limiting it to primary casters, like wizards and clerics and warmages and such.

well i was actually talking about primary casters, a wizard would like one of these, but perhaps not enough to take a feat on it. And if noncasters could use them, then casters should get it for free ^_^

Siberys
2006-12-18, 12:11 AM
One main reason to state whether it is 1 or 2h is that if it's 1h, you can use two at once.

If I used them, I'd make them 2h, with a feat allowing 1h.

cheers,
Siberys

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-18, 12:14 AM
One main reason to state whether it is 1 or 2h is that if it's 1h, you can use two at once.

If I used them, I'd make them 2h, with a feat allowing 1h.

cheers,
Siberys
Ohhh, I'd completely forgotten about that.

Latronis
2006-12-18, 01:22 AM
you know what would be cool?

having one that is used as both melee and ranged

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-18, 01:30 AM
you know what would be cool?

having one that is used as both melee and ranged

Hmm, that would be cool....*starts typing up another*

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-18, 01:36 AM
Dagger Wand
Two-handed melee or ranged mage-weapon
Damage: 1d6
Critical: x3
Ranger Increment: 30 feet.
Weight: 4 lb.
Damage Type: See below
Cost: 600gp

Dagger wands are often crafted to be about three ot four-foot long poles with magical catalysts on the tips sharpened into points, but are most often crafted from sharpened jems. These mage-weapons can be used both as melee or ranged weapons, melee use uses the magical pointed tip and deals both piercing and energy type damage (see demi-wands and mage-cudgles). Ranged or melee, you can add 1+1/2 the designated mental stat to damage.

Latronis
2006-12-18, 02:20 AM
awesome

Just what a warmage needs

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-12-18, 04:35 AM
My suggestion:

Light Demi-Wand
(One-handed Mage Weapon)

Damage: 1d6 (1d4 if sonic or Force)
Critical: X2
Range Increment60 Ft.
Weight: .5 Lbs

This is a light Demi-Wand, about the size of a Hand Crossbow or Wand. It deals 1d6 damage if flavored with an element type (Fire, Ice, Acid, Lightning), or 1d4 damage if Sonic or Force.

Demi-Wand
(Two-Handed Mage Weapon)

Damage: 1d8 (1d6 if Sonic or Force)
Rest of stats as written

Heavy Demi-Wand
(Two-Handed Mage Weapon)
Damage: 1d10 (1d8 if Sonic or Force)
Rest of stats as written

A Heavy Demi-Wand has a more powerful enchantment, however it takes time to recharge for the next shot. Recharging the Heavy Demi-Wand is a mental move action which provokes an attack of opportunity. Until the Heavy Demi-Wand is recharged, it cannot fire.

Dire Demi-Wand
(Two-Handed Mage Weapon)
Damage: 1d12 (1d10 if Sonic or Force
Rest of stats as written

As Heavy Demi-Wand, however recharging the Heavy Demi-Wand is a mental Full Round action which provokes an attack of opportunity.

Iron_Mouse
2006-12-18, 05:55 AM
Reminds me of the "weapons" in the old Heretic and Hexen games :smallsmile:

Could anyone stat these out, too? That would be cool.

Latronis
2006-12-18, 06:44 AM
I had a look at weapon descriptions for heretic and a bit of it can be replicated by common spells\abilities.

1 - Staff of the Necromancer;

Quarterstaff

W\ Tome of Power: Shocking Burst Quarterstaff, Fall prone on a Critical.

Gauntlets of the Necromancer;

Uses both hands, Gauntlet Slot, Ranged Attack, Electrical Damage, probably something like a speed enchantment.

W\ Tome of Power - Increase range and damage.

2 - Elven Wand; One handed ranged attack, force damage?

W\ Tome of Power - Attacks everyone in a cone spread?

3 - Ethereal Crossbow; Ghost-touch light crossbow that can hit upto 3 foes, each one no more then 5' apart.

W\ Tome of Power - Higher Damage, may hit 5 foes.

4 - Dragon Claw; Ranged weapon, one handed, 2 extra attacks at highest AB. Probably force or electrical damage.

W\ Tome of Power - loses the 2 extra attacks, but upon impact hits foes nearby for big bludgeoning damage with a reflex save to negate.

5 - Hellstaff; 2-handed 1.5x Int mod to damage lets say heat\fire damage, doing more then dragonclaw but retain the 2 extra attacks.

W\ Tome of Power - No attack, Activates as a magic ability dealing damage with no save, and casting a meteor swarm on the target.

6 - Phoenix Rod; 5d6 Fireball, ref save for 1\2

W\ Tome of Power - 10d6 line of fire, ref save for 1\2

7 - Firemace; Bludgeoning damage, explodes dealing fire damage within 5'

W\ Tome of Power - same as normal attack but upon impact hits foes nearby for big bludgeoning damage with a reflex save to negate.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-18, 08:37 AM
You should make a Capacitance Sword! It is a sword that absorbs any 3 (which can be used in combat/healing spells) spells you cast without effect, but when you hit a monster/party member if you are using healing spells, it discharges them all at once. Should have a penalty though, coz with three meteor storms this thing could just be mean

jlousivy
2006-12-18, 12:44 PM
price should be increased, ie: wand of shocking grasp (i know who ever uses this?) cost 750 at level 1, 1d8- 50 charges, no bonus damage
but for 400 you can get a wand of (energy: electricity) that has infinite 'charges' and 1d8+int mod damage (and you can do this more than once per round)

edit: but i can see this as a replacement of damaging wands in a game
shadow of the sun- there is already an enchantment for spellstoring (it's a +1 i think) and it is limited to 3rd level spells
so in order to have a sword that absorbs 3 spells at even 3rd level and have them be able to discharge them all at once... i think it would be a +5 enchantment bonus, or just part of an artifact

Sahegian
2006-12-18, 01:16 PM
Using something like the Relic rules from Complete Divine this might work. You could base the damage off of the level of spell slot given up for it. I would also take away the damage addition from the stats and change it to a ToHit bonus.

Giving a mage an infinite attack doing equal damage to the rest of the classes at no penalty is way overpowering in my opinion. Hell a ranger with a bow has to pump two stats to add a damage mod to it and then he has to carry around a boatload of arrows. Sure he has a higher BAB and more feats, but early on a mage is probably going to be a better archer than the archers. By the time it evens out the mages will already have their powerful spells and won't be relying on a wand.

For example giving up a level 1 wizard spell slot to use a Demi-Wand would get you a ranged weapon that does 1d4(Maybe even 1d2) damage an infinite number of times. Compared to a magic missile at level 1 this is possibly still too powerful. A level 1 wizard has a crappy BAB, but if they have a +3 or +4 Int mod they are going to hit as often as any other class although they will probably be doing slightly less damage. It would level out as higher spell slots are given. Giving up a fireball for a 1d6 or even 1d8 weapon is not nearly as favorable a trade.

Siberys
2006-12-18, 01:20 PM
Using something like the Relic rules from Complete Divine this might work. You could base the damage off of the level of spell slot given up for it. I would also take away the damage addition from the stats and change it to a ToHit bonus.

Giving a mage an infinite attack doing equal damage to the rest of the classes at no penalty is way overpowering in my opinion. Hell a ranger with a bow has to pump two stats to add a damage mod to it and then he has to carry around a boatload of arrows. Sure he has a higher BAB and more feats, but early on a mage is probably going to be a better archer than the archers. By the time it evens out the mages will already have their powerful spells and won't be relying on a wand.

For example giving up a level 1 wizard spell slot to use a Demi-Wand would get you a ranged weapon that does 1d4(Maybe even 1d2) damage an infinite number of times. Compared to a magic missile at level 1 this is possibly still too powerful. A level 1 wizard has a crappy BAB, but if they have a +3 or +4 Int mod they are going to hit as often as any other class although they will probably be doing slightly less damage. It would level out as higher spell slots are given. Giving up a fireball for a 1d6 or even 1d8 weapon is not nearly as favorable a trade.

I like this idea, but as it stands, there is a penalty; you need to take a feat to use it.

Sahegian
2006-12-18, 01:24 PM
Mage-Weapon Proficiency
You can use mage-specific weapons.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells or 4 or more ranks in Use Magic Device.
Benefit: You can use all mage-weapons proficiently.
Special: Any primary caster (classes who's first level has spellcasting capabilities) gains the benefits of this feat automatically.
Emphasis in Bold added

There is no penalty and considering it is just a ranged weapon it doesn't even have the disadvantage of having fewer feats that potentially enhance it(Rapid Shot etc.). As it stands you are basically giving a level 1 mage the ability to use a compound longbow with a damage descriptor. You might even be able to make a character based on these weapons that is more effective than current archers.

Siberys
2006-12-18, 01:30 PM
Well, then it's changed since last night! I have a Word doc copy of the original rules, and it doesn't have that statement. I'm using last night's version, myself, though I may allow it in place of Scribe Scroll (and as a Sorc Bonus feat. Meh...

Siberys

Sahegian
2006-12-18, 01:51 PM
I didn't say I didn't like the idea. I just don't think archery type characters will be happy if the Sorcerer is out damaging them without even casting any spells.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-18, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking of not giving it to mages right away anymore. Maybe they can just use them with a lesser penalty. Say -2 instead of -4.

Edit: I also increased the prices.

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-12-19, 06:45 AM
Perhaps it should be clarified that these weapons are like any other weapons:

They require an attack roll, not a touch attack. SR does not affect them

In game terms, it is a powerful Conjuration effect, which creates a physical manifestation of the element in question (or force/Sonic). As such, it needs to be able to penetrate armor, however since it is a physical effect, SR doesn't apply, just like with most Conjuration effects.

A wand of something like Scorching Ray only has limited charges, but only requires a Touch Attack, which means it's generally a LOT easier to hit with (unless you're trying to hit a Monk or something).

Keep in mind, the elemental flavor thing can be as big a disadvantage as it can an advantage. Just try to use a Fire Demi-Wand on a Red Dragon, for instance. Force and Sonic both don't have anything which can resist it, so they have a reduced damage die to compensate. Also, almost nothing is weak against them either. That Fire Demi-Wand is really going to put the hurt on Trolls.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-19, 05:46 PM
Thank you, still alot I'd missed out that my subconcious thought was a given. And very good point, that's what I was thinking while making these. At first they were all unnamed energy which would have been insane so I decided elemental energy can be resisted.