PDA

View Full Version : Sleight of Hand + Cursed Items

Kansaschaser
2013-08-20, 08:00 AM
I need some help.

I have a player that wants to use Sleight of Hand to place cursed items on another character. They want to be able to do this during combat as well. This player has the Cutpurse feat that allows them to steal from targets in combat without taking an attack of opportunity. He also has a feat called Quicker Than the Eye from a 3.0 book. Basically, you take a move action to make a Bluff check versus the Spot of any onlookers. Anyone that fails their spot check is flatfooted for your next standard action. He wants to use this time to place a cursed item on the target. The two cursed items he has right now is a Robe of Powerlessness and a Ring of Clumsiness.

I've let the player use Sleight of Hand to remove small items like bracers, cloaks, and necklaces in combat using the Cutpurse feat. Can or should he be allowed to place these cursed items in their place? If so, would the Sleight of Hand check be the same as stealing the item?

Another player suggested that in order to put an item on an unwilling target would require a grapple check. My cutpurse player said that since they are flatfooted and not paying attention, he could easily put a necklace or cloak around someone's neck. :smalleek:

Suggestions?

Humble Master
2013-08-20, 08:09 AM
I personally would say yes, simply because of how interesting the idea is. Still, I would also give the player a penalty to their Bluff check because it is harder to put a ring on someone's finger than take a ring off.

Joe the Rat
2013-08-20, 08:41 AM
While the general idea is cool, the specific pieces shouldn't work - or should be more difficult.

Adding an item to someone else's inventory: No problem. You could slip a small object ( like a ring, or a lodestone) into someone's pocket or pouch.

Adding an "Unattended" item to an item slot: this gets trickier. Amulets, necklaces, circlets and hats, maybe cloaks. These are easy "slip on/clip on" type things. Personally, I think using this tactic to put a mundane bag over someone's head would be a pretty awesome. Or slip a well-jostled ditherbomb into a pocket.

Ring? We'll assume for now that it starts big then accommodates down to stay on. If the hands are occupied (holding things, casting spells - which likely means holding components), then I seriously doubt it. So long as there is one inactive hand, tack on a penalty and go for it.

The robe... Yeah, that's not something you clip around the neck. It's got sleeves! I don't think 'over the shoulders' will cut it unless you are already allowing people to wear their robes Vice Admiral style for effect.

Of course, given that "Impossible" generally means +30 DC or so...

Kansaschaser
2013-08-20, 08:50 AM
Adding an "Unattended" item to an item slot: this gets trickier. Amulets, necklaces, circlets and hats, maybe cloaks. These are easy "slip on/clip on" type things. Personally, I think using this tactic to put a mundane bag over someone's head would be a pretty awesome. Or slip a well-jostled ditherbomb into a pocket.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I agreed to allow him to steal items like Amulets, Necklaces, Circles, Hats, Cloaks, Bracers, and Rings. I've given penalties on things that are harder to remove like Bracers and Rings.

I just don't know if I should make it the same DC to put an item the target as it was to steal one.

Diarmuid
2013-08-20, 09:47 AM
If the items are truly cursed, how would the Cutpurse be able to give them to someone else? Normally you cannot put down, get rid of, etc cursed items.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-20, 09:49 AM
If the items are truly cursed, how would the Cutpurse be able to give them to someone else? Normally you cannot put down, get rid of, etc cursed items.

...once they are put on, yes.

Kansaschaser
2013-08-20, 04:38 PM
...once they are put on, yes.

There are several cursed items that you have to put on to take effect. He would just keep a Necklace of Strangulation or a Ring of Clumsiness in his pocket or bag. Then he would use the Sleight of Hand skill to place the item on his target. I guess it's kind of like a reverse pick pocket.