PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good class for an NPC

molten_dragon
2013-08-20, 09:39 AM
I'm running one of the pathfinder adventure paths as 3.5. My group is relatively well optimized, so I find myself changing quite a few of the NPCs to make them tougher challenges.

The big final boss fight of the next part of the adventure is a pirate captain statted in PF as a fighter/rogue. I'm trying to come up with something to change him into that will make him more of a challenge to the party.

I want to keep him melee character of some sort, I don't want to turn him into a full spellcaster.

I'd also prefer to avoid using ToB, since that's my go-to for making melee guys better, and I'd prefer this guy be something interesting and different.

Any ideas?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-20, 09:45 AM
What level? And you could use Scoundrel Scarlet Corsair (Stromwrack I think) with some fear shenanigans (if your party have [Mind-Affecting] immunity you might want to rule that intimidate (as in the skill) fear effects are not [Mind-Affecting] to give him a little bit more omph. I think there was an Iron Chef which used it as SI, you could cribe some ideas from it.

LordHenry
2013-08-20, 09:55 AM
You could make him Rogue/Swashbuckler and give him the Daring Outlaw feat. Like Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3, then take Daring Outlaw, and continue with another 2 lvls of Swashbuckler and at 9 take Swordsage (Assassin's Stance). That makes a decent NPC without much ToB (which is optional anyway).

molten_dragon
2013-08-20, 05:25 PM
What level? And you could use Scoundrel Scarlet Corsair (Stromwrack I think) with some fear shenanigans (if your party have [Mind-Affecting] immunity you might want to rule that intimidate (as in the skill) fear effects are not [Mind-Affecting] to give him a little bit more omph. I think there was an Iron Chef which used it as SI, you could cribe some ideas from it.

He'll be 15th level.

molten_dragon
2013-08-20, 05:26 PM
You could make him Rogue/Swashbuckler and give him the Daring Outlaw feat. Like Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 3, then take Daring Outlaw, and continue with another 2 lvls of Swashbuckler and at 9 take Swordsage (Assassin's Stance). That makes a decent NPC without much ToB (which is optional anyway).

Isn't swashbuckler fairly underpowered?

And they're going to be fighting another rogue/swordsage earlier in the adventure.

ArcturusV
2013-08-20, 05:45 PM
Thing is, as a Pirate Captain I'm thinking something else entirely than Fighter/Rogue. I don't know the adventure you're using (even if you told me it, I wouldn't know it)... but I'd focus on mass tactics instead. Sans heavy spellcasting you could go with a Bardic Paladin type. Inspire Courage type shenanigans, plus AoE buffs/debuffs could be a solid base to work with. Instead of being one large bruiser who throws a bunch of extra D6s you end up with a character that makes every other character around him that much more effective.

That's probably the sort of role I'd go for. Make him a Captain not because "I can beat everyone up" but "Because I am the most effective leader and everyone is better off when I'm in charge". Then have his crew really take it to the PCs.

molten_dragon
2013-08-20, 06:06 PM
Thing is, as a Pirate Captain I'm thinking something else entirely than Fighter/Rogue. I don't know the adventure you're using (even if you told me it, I wouldn't know it)... but I'd focus on mass tactics instead. Sans heavy spellcasting you could go with a Bardic Paladin type. Inspire Courage type shenanigans, plus AoE buffs/debuffs could be a solid base to work with. Instead of being one large bruiser who throws a bunch of extra D6s you end up with a character that makes every other character around him that much more effective.

That's probably the sort of role I'd go for. Make him a Captain not because "I can beat everyone up" but "Because I am the most effective leader and everyone is better off when I'm in charge". Then have his crew really take it to the PCs.

That's a decent idea, but the backstory for the guy is that he basically is a thug that keeps his crew in line through fear and greed. He's not the inspiring leader type.

ArcturusV
2013-08-20, 06:12 PM
Then barring that, and forcing it to be a "thug", I'd probably go with a Ranger. Rangers have enough skill points to make decent sailors (You want at least Profession: Sailor, Climb, Swim, Survival, others are gravy). The lack of heavy armor doesn't hurt because... well if you wear heavy armor on a ship you're going to get thrown overboard. It's a dramatic law. Favored enemy of the right types (Crewmen and those he seeks to plunder) would make sense. A proper animal companion such as a sea critter or an avian, also very logical.

watchwood
2013-08-20, 06:45 PM
That's a decent idea, but the backstory for the guy is that he basically is a thug that keeps his crew in line through fear and greed. He's not the inspiring leader type.

You could just fluff it as him scaring his men into working for him - especially if he's got a lot of ranks into intimidate or perform (acting).

Runestar
2013-08-21, 08:20 AM
Isn't swashbuckler fairly underpowered?

And they're going to be fighting another rogue/swordsage earlier in the adventure.

Daring outlaw basically gives you a full bab npc with rogue's sneak attack progression.

I am not sure effective he is as an npc, but you can consider the "Jack be quick" build. It's basically a trip-oriented build.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869062/6_hits_to_1:_Jack_B._Quick

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-21, 08:29 AM
I was mistaken, the class I was refering to in my last post was Dread Pirate, not Scarlet Corsair, but seriously go look it up, it has everything you want. Including buffing allies (just a +1 to somethings, but meh), has an ability to give bonus damage by killing a helpless oponent! (It can also be a crew member) some sneak attack and full BAB.

Feytalist
2013-08-21, 08:31 AM
Isn't the Dread Pirate PrC from CAdv sort of exactly what you're looking for? Adds a bit of sneak attack, an inspire courage analogue, and if you go dishonourable, even a bit of demoralize.

Edit: also give him a few skill tricks like Acrobatic backstab to make him a bit more fun. Hell, you could even go Uncanny Trickster and trick up the whole place.

Pesimismrocks
2013-08-21, 11:43 AM
There's a fencer and a corsair variant for fighter in some dragon magazine. Each comes with some interesting and unique new fighting style. One gives you the power to fight while swinging from a rope. One uses quips.