PDA

View Full Version : Will OotS enter the gates anytime?

Ronan
2013-08-20, 11:09 AM
Since there is a planet inside(or something like that), I'm wondering: will they enter the gate, perhaps finding some uber buff to prevent massive disintegration or find out the people sent to the gate are just at this other dimension?

If this topic already exists, I apologize for my ignorance. I didn't find the search engine and although I'm a member since 2007, it's been perhaps more than a year since my last post.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-08-20, 11:15 AM
Our local bookie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298504) currently sets the odds of the Order escaping into Girard's rift at 4/1.

The topic has been subject of much discussion, I understand, but I don't think it had it's own thread. The search is down, so no chance there. My own quick search of the first couple of pages of threads also showed nothing - still, don't be surprised if this get merged with some other thread.

Grey Wolf

NerdyKris
2013-08-20, 11:23 AM
Our local bookie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298504) currently sets the odds of the Order escaping into Girard's rift at 4/1.

The topic has been subject of much discussion, I understand, but I don't think it had it's own thread. The search is down, so no chance there. My own quick search of the first couple of pages of threads also showed nothing - still, don't be surprised if this get merged with some other thread.

Grey Wolf

I don't think there's any chance at all that they'd be going into Girard's rift right now. Tarquin isn't threatening them. They're in no danger. It wouldn't make much sense to flee from the person offering to teleport you across the planet to your next destination.

Chantelune
2013-08-20, 01:19 PM
I don't think there's any chance at all that they'd be going into Girard's rift right now. Tarquin isn't threatening them. They're in no danger. It wouldn't make much sense to flee from the person offering to teleport you across the planet to your next destination.

Save that they might not want to owe Tarquin anything or even cooperate with him or his mook on any level.

But I agree with the part were the Order doesn't need to flee given Tarquin seems to not want any further hostilities with them. Plus, they don't even know if the rift is two way. It's too risky to get in without imediate pressure to do so if they can't go back. As Durkula said : world still at stakes.

NerdyKris
2013-08-20, 01:36 PM
I hate that term. "Owing" the villain a favor. Like it's some legal proceeding they have to follow or go to jail. It reminds me of how Kingpin or Dr. Doom will gloat when a hero has to use their help. As if anyone other than them cares one way or the other.

The world is at stake. If Tarquin really showed up later and said "Hey Roy, you owe me a favor, so don't attack me while I do something evil!", Nobody is going to fault Roy for attacking him. He's not going to be able to walk up to the gate and say "Hey Roy, you owe me, so let me do something evil". The favor police aren't going to show up and fine him.

I can understand not wanting something that required torturing or killing innocents, like the ring of regeneration, but a simple teleport spell is not something that's going to translate into Tarquin being able to walk all over them later.

Chantelune
2013-08-20, 02:03 PM
I hate that term. "Owing" the villain a favor. Like it's some legal proceeding they have to follow or go to jail. It reminds me of how Kingpin or Dr. Doom will gloat when a hero has to use their help. As if anyone other than them cares one way or the other.

The world is at stake. If Tarquin really showed up later and said "Hey Roy, you owe me a favor, so don't attack me while I do something evil!", Nobody is going to fault Roy for attacking him. He's not going to be able to walk up to the gate and say "Hey Roy, you owe me, so let me do something evil". The favor police aren't going to show up and fine him.

I can understand not wanting something that required torturing or killing innocents, like the ring of regeneration, but a simple teleport spell is not something that's going to translate into Tarquin being able to walk all over them later.

Except that Deva and her pals who judges his every actions ? Being lawful in such a world is not really a vague notion that you can brush aside everytime it suits you. If Tarquin were to help Roy, he might be compelled to feel indebted and if he do so, he'll probably do his best to keep to it.

The neutrals and chaotics might not bat an eyelash at sending Tarquin off, but the lawful ones...

Anarion
2013-08-20, 02:21 PM
One thing that interests me about this is the fact that Girard's rift opens onto a ocean (presumably the surface of the planet), whereas Soon's rift is way out in space with the entire planet visible through the hole. My hope is that when Kraagor's gate is destroyed, it leads to some place habitable, resulting in them entering that rift near the end of the story, rather than jumping into the giant ocean now.

As Chantelune noted, making and then breaking promises for immediate advantage is a chaotic action, and that includes making promises now when you have a pretty good idea that they're going to come back to bite you later unless you break them.

That said, the issue with Tarquin is that his help might come with strings. Consider the tracking device in the carpet they used earlier. Who's to say that his teleport won't come with a locator spell that later lets Tarquin move a huge army up to the next gate when it's convenient, if he even wants to do that. So it's less a vague "promise police" issue and more the fact that his deals could very easily be deceptive.