PDA

View Full Version : The Event

FlawedParadigm
2013-08-20, 11:26 AM
Rich has a habit of anything of significance coming back later. I wonder when "the event" is going to be brought up again and what sort of significance it will have. It would seem odd to establish a protocol of referring to it as "the event" and then never really referring to it again.

Might be Rich had some plan for it he later abandoned, or maybe he's still planning something. There's probably a "dangling plot threads" thread somewhere that this would fit in, but no search function and all.

Any thoughts on this utterly useless speculation?

Kish
2013-08-20, 11:33 AM
Pretty sure the "The Event" thing was just because Vaarsuvius didn't want to say or think, "The time Belkar kissed me."

FlawedParadigm
2013-08-20, 11:45 AM
Well yes, that bit's obvious. It just seems odd that V brought it up at all later, especially if V didn't want it mentioned, unless it were going to come up again at some point (other than in slash fic, obviously.)

Giggling Ghast
2013-08-20, 12:49 PM
Durkon's vampirism has some scary implications for Vaarsuvius. He knows about "the event" and there's a strong possibility he's evil now. A good-aligned Durkon may have kept it secret, but will an evil vampire Durkon use it as blackmail material against V? Or perhaps reveal it for s**ts and giggles?

Morthis
2013-08-20, 12:54 PM
Honestly what would it even matter? It's an uncomfortable thing, but hardly some crazy blackmail material. There's plenty of real blackmail material against V, since the party doesn't know about familicide or the splice, but something as trivial as this?

Giggling Ghast
2013-08-20, 01:08 PM
S/he refuses to even speak of it.

Keep in mind, when I say "scary", I mean "ripe for comedic potential."

Morthis
2013-08-20, 01:21 PM
Unless there was a recent reference to this, it happened over 500 comics ago. At this point I don't think it's so much "refuses to speak of it" as it is "happened ages ago and is no longer relevant".

Chantelune
2013-08-20, 01:25 PM
S/he refuses to even speak of it.

Keep in mind, when I say "scary", I mean "ripe for comedic potential."

Still, considering what is at stake right now (the world), I doubt even V would let something so trivial get in her way. She has more pressing and more pertinent matter at hand.

Like being indebted to two more directors. :smallamused:

mhsmith
2013-08-20, 01:35 PM
Even if Durkula is evil now (which we don't know) there's no reason to think he's suddenly non-Lawful, or would like Belkar more than V. Very Lawful people like Durkon don't normally just mess with people for the lulz, so it's hard to see him suddenly embracing that possibility all of a sudden.

You can even see something of a template for him in Malack's character. Is it possible to appreciate a good joke? Sure. Is he going to be the one holding creamed spinach in his mouth for a whole coronation (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0854.html) for the sake of a joke? No.

Chantelune
2013-08-20, 01:56 PM
Even if Durkula is evil now (which we don't know) there's no reason to think he's suddenly non-Lawful, or would like Belkar more than V. Very Lawful people like Durkon don't normally just mess with people for the lulz, so it's hard to see him suddenly embracing that possibility all of a sudden.

Aside from vampire changing alignement automatically, Durkon converting a spell to harm instead of cure is proof enough that he's evil.

Shred-Bot
2013-08-20, 11:31 PM
Aside from vampire changing alignement automatically, Durkon converting a spell to harm instead of cure is proof enough that he's evil.

Nit-pick: Technically neutral clerics can channel negative energy too, so they would convert spells to inflicts rather than cures as well. It does however prove that he is no longer good.

(I think/hope he is indeed evil, if only because watching his evilness and Durkonosity co-existing in the same being should prove most interesting.)

FlawedParadigm
2013-08-21, 09:49 PM
"Happened over 500 strips ago" is not grounds for dismissal of anything in this strip. :p See also; Zz'dtri returning from being sued, Haley's lime green Boots of Speed getting dyed, et cetera.

I mean I don't really see a narrative reason for it happening at this juncture, but V is technically unmarried now...

Morthis
2013-08-21, 10:36 PM
"Happened over 500 strips ago" is not grounds for dismissal of anything in this strip. :p See also; Zz'dtri returning from being sued, Haley's lime green Boots of Speed getting dyed, et cetera.

I mean I don't really see a narrative reason for it happening at this juncture, but V is technically unmarried now...

I meant it as a reason for why V doesn't bring it up. It happened ages ago and was a completely trivial event over the course of their adventure. You don't see them discussing how Elan considered being a wizard for a while anymore either, because it's so long ago and irrelevant, that doesn't mean Elan is suddenly ashamed to admit he considered it.