PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Gates handbook?

russdm
2013-08-20, 03:41 PM
I know there is a handbook thread here for Red Hand of Doom. Is there one for Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde as well or is there nothing? I am interested since I plan on running it at some point.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-20, 03:48 PM
I, too, am interested in this. I've been meaning to run SGoS for a while.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-20, 03:57 PM
Googling sends thisbhread as the first hit, so I'm guessing no.

russdm
2013-09-03, 10:25 PM
It would be nice to have one.

Big Fau
2013-09-04, 09:10 AM
The module was never as popular as RHoD, likely due to the odd formatting (being divided amongst several flimsy paperback books was not a good design choice).

We'd have to write one ourselves.

russdm
2013-09-04, 12:42 PM
But its a nice adventure path that you can connect to Red Hand of Doom. I mean you could both areas really close to each other, whether north, south, east, or west of the other place. I mean to properly use RHoD, you need to have filled adventures before the level at which RHoD starts unless your group can handle starting the campaign out with RHoD.

Oh, well. Why is it not that popular? Its the encouraged next step from Scourge of the Howling Horde once people finish with that. It gives you a whole little area to have all kinds of adventures in it that could last through most of a campaign without even leaving the valley of obelisks.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-04, 12:58 PM
It is simply not that popular, the first time I heard about Shattered gates was in an Iron Chef contest (can't remember which one though). While RHoD is probably the best known adventure path. The fact it has it's own handbook is nothing but a statement of it's popularity.

Also many people seem to dislike starting at level 1 (I know I'm one of them) and RHoD starts in the sweetspot, enough levels you are not squishy as hell, enough levels to get some tasty abilities/feats to differentiate you from other characters without being overwhelmed by options.

Finally RHoD has a little bit of everything, Dungeons (the Ghostlord's Lair/Vath's Keep), intrigue, dragons, devils, city wide battles, wilderness battles, diplomacy (the tiri kitor elves/council of brindoll), etc. Based on this I think it would be hard to find a D&D player who can't enjoy at least one aspect of the adventure.

Big Fau
2013-09-04, 05:00 PM
Finally RHoD has a little bit of everything, Dungeons (the Ghostlord's Lair/Vath's Keep), intrigue, dragons, devils, city wide battles, wilderness battles, diplomacy (the tiri kitor elves/council of brindoll), etc. Based on this I think it would be hard to find a D&D player who can't enjoy at least one aspect of the adventure.

Yeah, SGoS is 80% combat, 9% traps, and 1% diplomacy (and those two encounters where you get to use diplomacy aren't that helpful).

RHoD has a more coherent theme going for it (goblins, dragons, dragonblooded creatures, and outsiders).