PDA

View Full Version : adventure quest

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2006-12-18, 02:45 AM
I'm just curious how many people here play adventure quest, the largest MSORPG on the net (at least I think it is), what y'all think of it,

Draigo
2006-12-18, 04:24 AM
yeah, i play some times, have a level 56 and 38, also play DF, and slowly aid in the destruction of the world on the foru, I'VE SAID TOO MUCH!!! *runs away*

Ethdred
2006-12-18, 06:48 AM
Yey! Love it - it's quite cheesy but good fun. Though I doubt it's the biggest on the Interweb. I love the way they're always doing new things, even if some of the mechanics get on my nerves sometimes. I like the way you can dip in and out of it without any pressure - play for as long as you like, and then not touch it for ages and not lose anything

Roderick_BR
2006-12-18, 08:34 AM
I used to play, but never dedicated myself too much to it. In two years of play, my character is barely around lvl 30. If I could pay for a guardian membership, maybe I'd play more.
I've been playing Dragon Fable too, that have improved graphics, but it still doesn't have all the stuff AQ has.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-12-18, 09:47 AM
Comrade Gorby: Looks like a computer/video game thread to me, so off to Gaming (Other)! :smallwink:

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-18, 09:47 AM
I am to cheap to pay for it so I quit.

Penguinizer
2006-12-18, 10:28 AM
Ive played AQ but moved on to DF due to not being able to log on.

Reinforcements
2006-12-18, 02:54 PM
I'm just curious how many people here play adventure quest, the largest MSORPG on the net (at least I think it is), what y'all think of it,
The fact that it's the largest (if that's true, which I wouldn't dispute) is fairly sad, seeing as how it manages to include all the bad aspects of video game RPGs with none of the good ones. I tried it, and couldn't stand it anymore after about 10 minutes.

Penguinizer
2006-12-18, 02:56 PM
And has a slightly bad community. Anything that compares Runescape with AQ ends up in flames.

Dire Penguin
2006-12-18, 04:46 PM
AQ is the worst online RPG I have ever seen! I though runescape was cheesey, but man; this gave is awful. You can't do anyhting worthwhile unless you pay them 20 bucks, the fighting is stupid, and there's no real animation. Try a REAL MMORPG at afriend's house or something! I'm not voting in this poll, cause' there's no room for my vote.

2006-12-19, 01:16 AM
hey Dire, first it's not an mmorpg, it's an mSorpg. Second, I have issues with most so called MMORPG's such as WOW, or DDO, because there's virtually no roleplaying at all. All you do is run around and complete quests, there's virtually no interaction with other players unless you're in a guild, and half the time people don't roleplay in there, or when you might team up for a while to complete a quest. None of your actions or what you say determines any outcomes at all. NWN, has infintely more roleplaying than most MMORPG's. I also don't play AQ for the community either. I usually don't play just to go out and fight monsters anymore, but I do sign on and play when they've got evets, which I find is what makes it fun. I play DF from time to time, and the PvP thing they added is pretty cool, but I haven't gotten the amulet, so there's a lot stuff there I can't do, unlike AQ, where I ponied up the $20 and became a guardian. One more thing Dire, if you think you can create something better than they have done then go and do it, i'd like to see you try, otherwise, shut up. If there's one thing I can't stand it's hypocites.

Reinforcements
2006-12-19, 10:03 AM
If there's one thing I can't stand it's hypocites.
And I can't stand it when people violate Ebert's Law. I've never made a video game either, but I'm still within my rights to say that I think Adventure Quest is a huge pile of crap. If you're willing to burn $20 to be an AQ Guardian, go out and buy Guild Wars or something instead.

DarkLightDragon
2006-12-19, 10:20 AM
I play DF. I also have a character on AQ in its 40's but I don't play it as much as my DF character.

Crazy Owl
2006-12-19, 10:28 AM
*Wall of text*
I haven't read all of that because I don't like walls but just from the start. You said you don't like WoW because there is no role playing. You can't really call a one player game like AQ role playing. I really I prefer completing a quest with a story than grinding for an entire game. The stupid quests you get in AQ are just grinding with a dice rolller at the end which if you fail then you don't complete the quest, real fun. *These boards need a rolling eye smilie*

Sure you say your role playing because your being someone else but nearly every game has some single player where you play as someone else in it and no one says every game is role playing, role playing is more about doing it with other people otherwise its just playing a game.

Also the whole 'you can't make a better game than them' is sort of stupid. So what if someone can't make a game. I really don't think any game reviewers have experiance in making games but they can say stuff sucks and they are usually right.

2006-12-19, 12:40 PM
I can respect people's views on the game Crazy, but, I think they need to respect my view on the game back. Dire obviously doesn't do this because he berates me every chance he gets for my interest of the game. I think if he's going to do that, then I need to call him on it. If he's going to trash something like that, he should be prepared to back it up, otherwise he's just a feakin' hypocrite, and if there's one type of person I can't stand, it's hypocrites.

Crazy Owl
2006-12-19, 01:35 PM
All gamers have to start somewhere, I started on stuff like AQ and runescape and eventually moved on to other games like WoW and EQ2. Its an all right starting point for online gaming but you must eventually get bored of the hack and slashing? It mostly did just seem like click the same button again and again...

2006-12-19, 03:02 PM
well Crazy, I usually have AQ up with something else, so it's not like that's all I'm doing. I usually go back to it every couple of minutes, then go back to what I was doing previously, so it's not really that boring doing it that way. I don't play every day either, I'd say I log on a play a few times a week for like an hour while I'm doing other stuff, that's about it. Like I said earlier, I think WoW is basically a hack and slash too. I mean there's not really all that much roleplaying, even on an RP server. About the only rping I experienced was in a guild. I mean other than that, and an occasional teaming up with others to accomplish a quest, there's virtually no interaction with other players, and it's not like NWN where your actions and what you decide to say to people influences the outcome.

Draigo
2006-12-19, 03:16 PM
heh, that's what i do too

if you want an MMORPG, try guild wars, not much role playing, but great community, and the more you plan and talk with people the better you do [with good people]
heh, some times I log on just to talk

2006-12-19, 03:27 PM
I've been doing the 10 day trial for MMORPG's lately, just got done with the WoW one a few days ago and have several days left on my DDO one. I also have Galaxies downloaded, but am waiting to try that until after the DDO trial is up. Personally I'm waiting for LOTR to come out. Although I still have yet to find a MMORPG that RP's as well as NWN.

Crazy Owl
2006-12-19, 04:10 PM
The problem is that no one roleplays online. NWN is probably the closest you will get to online roleplaying. My advise is to wait for some good Peristant worlds on NWN2 to get going and then get NWN2.

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-19, 04:14 PM
AQ is alright but ive seen WAY better...it has good potential but for it to be realy fun for me you need multiplayerability

CaelCyndar1993
2006-12-28, 01:18 AM
hey Dire, first it's not an mmorpg, it's an mSorpg. Second, I have issues with most so called MMORPG's such as WOW, or DDO, because there's virtually no roleplaying at all. All you do is run around and complete quests, there's virtually no interaction with other players unless you're in a guild, and half the time people don't roleplay in there, or when you might team up for a while to complete a quest. None of your actions or what you say determines any outcomes at all. NWN, has infintely more roleplaying than most MMORPG's. I also don't play AQ for the community either. I usually don't play just to go out and fight monsters anymore, but I do sign on and play when they've got evets, which I find is what makes it fun. I play DF from time to time, and the PvP thing they added is pretty cool, but I haven't gotten the amulet, so there's a lot stuff there I can't do, unlike AQ, where I ponied up the $20 and became a guardian. One more thing Dire, if you think you can create something better than they have done then go and do it, i'd like to see you try, otherwise, shut up. If there's one thing I can't stand it's hypocites.
Hmm...
Let's compare...
WoW-MMORPG
AQ-SOG (Can't even call it massive. Or a roleplaying game.)
WoW-Ability to chat
AQ-Ability to choose from two or more options while talking to NPCs
WoW-Unique character progression
AQ-Start as a Warrior, then basically become an ugly mix of something
WoW-Has the need for a ton of servers due to the massive amounts of players
AQ-Doesn't even have more than one server due to NO INTERACTION between any players
WoW-Active Dimension Battles
AQ-Sit and Click Battles (Hmm... My actions are: Attack, spell, item, or run... Not much variety...)

And this is coming from me, the guy who played to level 60 before he realized how crappy the game was. You call the game a MSORPG. Take off the M-It isn't massive. Now we have and SORPG. Drop the roleplaying-because there is no roleplaying. And we're left with a SOG.

Looks like you're the hypocrite.

Oh, and by the way, I've made a game by myself that I, and a lot of people believe is better than AQ.

Rex Idiotarum
2006-12-28, 01:37 AM
First of all AQ is a very good game, for Flash that is. Flash is really hard to do multi player games, and the ones that do share computers. Flash on the other hand allows for drawing, easier game scripting, and all you have to do is install the Flash player and wait for it to load off of another server, which is easier than waiting a while for whatever game you're installing to then have to load of your own computer., but back to my point, AQ is a good Flash game, and a pretty expansive one at that.

MasterOfPsychic
2007-01-03, 01:40 PM
Seriously, it took me -one-single-evening- to reach level 30. After that, there was nothing really challengning left in the world without a guardian membership, so I quit...

Weebl
2007-01-03, 01:49 PM
When I'm bored and Ever one I know is Offline on everything I play It And only Then!

zeratul
2007-01-08, 06:25 PM
AQ is awsome especially if you become a gaurdian (one time payment) after that try and get the wearpyre armor, it rocks

Dr._Weird
2007-01-08, 07:22 PM
Hmm...
Let's compare...
WoW-MMORPG
AQ-SOG (Can't even call it massive. Or a roleplaying game.)
WoW-Ability to chat
AQ-Ability to choose from two or more options while talking to NPCs
WoW-Unique character progression
AQ-Start as a Warrior, then basically become an ugly mix of something
WoW-Has the need for a ton of servers due to the massive amounts of players
AQ-Doesn't even have more than one server due to NO INTERACTION between any players
WoW-Active Dimension Battles
AQ-Sit and Click Battles (Hmm... My actions are: Attack, spell, item, or run... Not much variety...)

And this is coming from me, the guy who played to level 60 before he realized how crappy the game was. You call the game a MSORPG. Take off the M-It isn't massive. Now we have and SORPG. Drop the roleplaying-because there is no roleplaying. And we're left with a SOG.

Looks like you're the hypocrite.

Oh, and by the way, I've made a game by myself that I, and a lot of people believe is better than AQ.

Care to post a link to it as evidence?

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-09, 12:58 AM
Wow. What started as a poll is officially a flame war. Why doesn't everyone just sit back, take a moment to look at the fact they're evaluating two completely seperate games by comparing AQ & WOW, and then maybe do some breathing exercises, or heroin. You know, whatever makes you better.

/begin rant

Seriously folks, comparing these two games is like comparing Baseball & Cricket, or humans & lawyers. Sure they have some base similarities but they are ultimately a different species altogether. Now, I play AQ a bit every now & then (as well as DF) and I used to play WOW until I get bored out of my wits to a level that only be called "epic" (HAHA! Get it? Get it?) by it, so I can be on either side of this little feud. This thread is simply a matter of opinion, and respecting each other's opinions would relay that we are indeed highly ordered mass and higher-thinking life forms who can use complicated tools and not have to resort to calling each other names every time someone doesn't agree with us. It's called an opinion people and if you can't handle them (and this is not directed at any one person, it's directed at everyone involved in this little war) then don't post in OPINION POLLS.

/end rant

Anyways, i'm not much of one to play multi-player games at all. Oh, and just so people know from the American Heritage Dictionary (also http://www.answers.com/topic/role-playing-game if you don't believe me...):

role-playing game
n.
A game in which players assume the roles of characters and act out fantastical adventures, the outcomes of which are partially determined by chance, as by the roll of dice.

AQ, by definition, can be considered a Role-playing Game, the term Role-Play means to play the role of someone who isn't you. By classic definition virtually every game is an RPG. But, i'm also being a smarmy pedant :)

Cheers
JS

CaelCyndar1993
2007-01-13, 06:01 PM
Wow. What started as a poll is officially a flame war. Why doesn't everyone just sit back, take a moment to look at the fact they're evaluating two completely seperate games by comparing AQ & WOW, and then maybe do some breathing exercises, or heroin. You know, whatever makes you better.

/begin rant

Seriously folks, comparing these two games is like comparing Baseball & Cricket, or humans & lawyers. Sure they have some base similarities but they are ultimately a different species altogether. Now, I play AQ a bit every now & then (as well as DF) and I used to play WOW until I get bored out of my wits to a level that only be called "epic" (HAHA! Get it? Get it?) by it, so I can be on either side of this little feud. This thread is simply a matter of opinion, and respecting each other's opinions would relay that we are indeed highly ordered mass and higher-thinking life forms who can use complicated tools and not have to resort to calling each other names every time someone doesn't agree with us. It's called an opinion people and if you can't handle them (and this is not directed at any one person, it's directed at everyone involved in this little war) then don't post in OPINION POLLS.

/end rant

Anyways, i'm not much of one to play multi-player games at all. Oh, and just so people know from the American Heritage Dictionary (also http://www.answers.com/topic/role-playing-game if you don't believe me...):

role-playing game
n.
A game in which players assume the roles of characters and act out fantastical adventures, the outcomes of which are partially determined by chance, as by the roll of dice.

AQ, by definition, can be considered a Role-playing Game, the term Role-Play means to play the role of someone who isn't you. By classic definition virtually every game is an RPG. But, i'm also being a smarmy pedant :)

Cheers
JS

Now hold on, I know that AQ cannot be compared to WoW with true equality due to the difference in quality. (I still say that WoW is immensly better, and nothing can change that.) However, I was not the one to begin comparing. My post was a response to another post saying that AQ was better than WoW.

Ego Slayer
2007-01-13, 06:17 PM
... and people think Runescape is bad. Meh, I got to level something in the double-digits but I'm not paying for something like that so it got boring fast. Too combat based. At least Runescape has non-combat skills and slightly better graphics.

Penguinizer
2007-01-14, 01:21 PM
^ I wouldnt post that on the aq forums. The fans are pretty blood thirsty at times. Thats one reason I left the forum there.