PDA

View Full Version : Clarification requested

Mad Humanist
2013-08-20, 05:46 PM
As I understand it, "The Order of the Stick" forum section is there to discuss the webcomic and the "Silly Message Board Game" forum section is there for games not related to the webcomic. Please could someone confirm?

Rawhide
2013-08-20, 05:56 PM
As I understand it, "The Order of the Stick" forum section is there to discuss the webcomic and the "Silly Message Board Game" forum section is there for games not related to the webcomic. Please could someone confirm?

The Order of the Stick forum for discussing the webcomic, the Silly Message Board Games forum is for playing any message board games that do not fit into a specific category, those categories being Play by Post (several forums), Structured Games (a subforum of Silly Message Board Games), and Free Form Roleplaying (also a subforum of Silly Message Board Games).

There should be NO games being played outside of these forums.

Mad Humanist
2013-08-20, 05:58 PM
The Order of the Stick forum for discussing the webcomic, the Silly Message Board Games forum is for playing any message board games that do not fit into a specific category, those categories being Play by Post (several forums), Structured Games (a subforum of Silly Message Board Games), and Free Form Roleplaying (also a subforum of Silly Message Board Games).

There should be NO games being played outside of these forums.

But what about "games" that are built around discussion of the webcomic?

Kyeudo
2013-08-20, 06:01 PM

Depends. If you use dice, go with Play-by-Post. If not, go to Silly Message Board Games.

Rawhide
2013-08-20, 06:03 PM

There should be no games played outside of the Play-by-Post Games category (of which all those forums fall into). The key word there is playing. If you're playing a game, then it must be in one of those forums, regardless of anything else.

Discussion of those games might fall elsewhere, depending on the discussion, but playing the game will always fall in there.

Depends. If you use dice, go with Play-by-Post. If not, go to Silly Message Board Games.

This is bad advice, it depends entirely on the game in question which specific gaming forum it would fall under, not whether it uses dice or not.

Mad Humanist
2013-08-20, 06:12 PM
The key word there is playing. If you're playing a game, then it must be in one of those forums, regardless of anything else.

I am not seeing consistency here. Surely the following threads are all games:

Tarquin translation game
OOTS Quiz part XV
OOTS death pool (thread #4)

but they are in the OOTS section. I don't see how the "Demon Roach Betting thread" is different.

Rawhide
2013-08-20, 06:18 PM
I am not seeing consistency here. Surely the following threads are all games:

Tarquin translation game
OOTS Quiz part XV
OOTS death pool (thread #4)

but they are in the OOTS section. I don't see how the "Demon Roach Betting thread" is different.

Just because something has not been acted upon, does not mean that it is the way it should be. Please report the threads using the Report Post button you think may be in the wrong forum, so the moderators can look at them, make an assessment, and move them if they are found to be in the wrong forum (there's no infractions or warnings for accidentally posting in the wrong forum, of course).

Mad Humanist
2013-08-20, 06:23 PM
I don't understand why you want OOTS related material outside of the OOTS section. Surely if you want to keep these threads out of the main OOTS section could they go into a subsection of the OOTS section?

Rawhide
2013-08-20, 06:46 PM
I don't understand why you want OOTS related material outside of the OOTS section. Surely if you want to keep these threads out of the main OOTS section could they go into a subsection of the OOTS section?

It's quite simple. The Order of the Stick is a discussion forum, for discussing the comic. The games forums are the designated sections for playing games. Regardless of the subject material, this overrules the location based on what it is based on.

We don't have people playing games based on movies or books in the media section, for example, or on web comics in the web comics section, or role playing games in the role playing game section. If you want to play a game, you go to the sections designated for playing games.

Now, as is standard practice here. Question asked, question answered, thread closed.

Rawhide
2013-08-22, 05:39 AM
Thank you for reporting the threads in question. SMEE has informed me that the threads have been looked into and moved as appropriate. I wanted to update you on the decisions here:

OOTS Quiz part XV was definitely a game without structural oversight, and as such was moved to Silly Message Board Games. It is difficult to point an exact line where the game switches from minimal structure or moderate structure, to the highly structured nature of Structured Games. The mere inclusion of a organiser is not enough, but it is one of the first signs. If someone wishes to create a new version of the thread with a central quizmaster or quizmasters, with clearly defined and enforced rules and scoring, then it will most likely fall in Structured Games. There is no reason both versions cannot run concurrently in the separate forums.

OOTS death pool (thread #4) was also clearly a game, but this one had a solid structure, with a central controller and scorekeeping. It was clear that this was highly structured and SMEE moved it to the Structured Games forum.

Tarquin translation game, despite having "game" in the title, was not actually a game. It's ultimately a discussion, however silly, of alternate meanings for phrases.

The same goes for the reports people sent in about several voting threads. Polling for an opinion is not a game. As such, these threads were left where they were.

SMEE also took a closer look at the original thread in question, The Demon Roach Betting Thread, and decided that it was structured enough to qualify for the Structured Games forum.

Now, if anyone is concerned that the threads won't get enough exposure in their new homes, I would like to remind people that they are welcome to include links in their signature for the games they are participating in.