PDA

View Full Version : Substitution Level Question

Galvin
2013-08-20, 08:40 PM
My question: do you have to take all the lower level substitution levels to qualify for the higher level one?

For example: if there was a progression level set with levels in 3,6,11, would someone have to take the 3 and 6 levels to take the level 11 sub level, or could someone skip the 6 and just take the 3 and 11?

Thanks

eggynack
2013-08-20, 08:47 PM
You can take whichever substitution levels you want. Skipping three and only taking six is perfectly allowed. There're probably similar quotes attached to the entry in other books, but this one's from Races of Eberron, because I knew some are in there: "A character need not take all the substitution levels provided for a class. For instance, a shifter ranger might decide to take only the racial substitution level at 4th level, ignoring the other substitution levels."

Captnq
2013-08-20, 08:48 PM
Nope. Not even a little.

Galvin
2013-08-20, 09:17 PM
You can take whichever substitution levels you want. Skipping three and only taking six is perfectly allowed. There're probably similar quotes attached to the entry in other books, but this one's from Races of Eberron, because I knew some are in there: "A character need not take all the substitution levels provided for a class. For instance, a shifter ranger might decide to take only the racial substitution level at 4th level, ignoring the other substitution levels."

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know.