PDA

View Full Version : Divine Fey Bard, into Abolisher ?

CyberThread
2013-08-20, 09:39 PM
Now I already know this is not anywhere close to being "maximized" or OP, but anything I should consider if doing this combo, but not jumping into PRC that gives bards 9th level casting.

Yogibear41
2013-08-20, 09:59 PM
The fey variant is interesting, Bardic Knowledge to me is one of the main draws to actually play the class. Additionally, the non-chaotic req on the abolisher seems to conflict with the whole bardish and fey feel IMO.

What exactly are you going for character concept wise?

Maybe you should add on the savage bard variant in as-well it seems to fit well with the wild fey'ish feel?

A_S
2013-08-20, 10:15 PM
You're giving up all the good Bardic Music effects. Medium animals are okay for utility (fitting into stuff, getting a fly speed, etc.), but they aren't going to make you a powerhouse.

That leaves you with slightly gimped Bard spellcasting, an animal companion, and some pretty weak and/or situational class features from Abolisher.

I'm sure you can find some Druid handbooks that tell you how to make a good animal companion yourself; at the end of the day, it's going to be an okay beatstick, but it's not going to make any waves, especially without the buff support it would be getting from the Druid spell list.

That leaves you pretty much with spell casting. Bards have a lot of great utility spells, but they don't have a whole lot of stuff that lets them make a huge impact in combat with a single action. So, my advice is:

Make lots of creative use of the **** Image spells.
Scour some Bard (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870498/The_Bards_Handbook) handbooks (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/bards-handbook.html) for spell advice.
See if you can find some ACF's that replace the Bardic Music effects you have left with something more useful.
Do some additional looking, and pay particular attention to the spells Ruin Delver's Fortune (SpC), Fanfare (Song and Silence), and Irresistable Dance (core), which are some of the strongest on the Bard list.
Consider some levels in Lyric Thaumaturge (CM) for additional flexibility with your spellcasting.

This has the potential to be a fun support character. The Bard spell list is full of things that can be really fun to cast in non-combat situations. Just make sure your party isn't depending on you to win fights by yourself.