View Full Version : Scroll: Need a ruling

Novercalis
2013-08-21, 03:44 AM
Situation

Dwarven Cleric level 3 Inscribed a few scrolls of Cure Light Wounds (CLW)

He hands one to a Ranger, a 2nd Cleric and a druid.

Ranger = NPC who has casted spells from scrolls as far as we know.

Druid - untrained Spellcraft, untrained Decipher Script, untrained Use Magic Device, No Read Magic

2nd Cleric - Untrained UMD, Spellcraft (5 rank thus giving me +2 to UMD), Read Magic

===================

Question: WHO can use the scrolls?

Who can't? Why and what do they need to do, in order to use it, if applicable? Please "Itemize" what each person needs to do. Thanks.

Raendyn
2013-08-21, 04:16 AM
Since you don't mention anything about CL I assume that the dwarf scribed the scrolls at his own CL, which is 3.

So, firstly about Desipher, I wouldn't worry too much, because you can think that since the cleric is there he can tell them what the spell is, if you want strict RAW, you can take 20 (assuming you have INT modifier +1), or have someone aid you.

Now, the LVL2 Cleric must suceed on a caster lvl check in order to activate the scroll, that is DC scoll CL(3)+1, If he fails then he must suceed on a lvl 5 wisdon check or he gets a mishap, even with +4 or higher Wis Mod, a natural 1 is a failure.

Same goes for Druid.

The ranger, works exactly as above, assuming he has at least 12 wisdom.

edit:
Generally the criteria are
#1, the scroll must be of the casters spellcasting type (arcane-divine)
#2, Caster must have the spell on his spell list
#3, He must have the appropriate ability on the proper lvl, which is 10+Spell lvl

if those are met, then he must have the appropriate Caster lvl,
if he doesnt have the CL follow the checks I mentioned earlier.
If he doesnt meet either of #1-3, then Read Use Magic Device Rules.

Novercalis
2013-08-21, 09:42 AM
how did you get Wis 12 for Ranger?

Asteron
2013-08-21, 10:00 AM
CLW is a 2nd level spell for Rangers. In order to cast a spell your relevant ability modifier (Wisdom in this case) must be at least 10+ the level of the spell. This is a second level spell, therefore he must have a Wisdom score of at least 12. If not, then the Ranger cannot cast the spell.

aeauseth
2013-08-22, 01:34 PM
Rangers can cast divine spells from a scroll. But they can't really cast spells until level 4. So does CLW show up on a Ranger spell list even if he can't cast any spells? Is a Ranger even consider a divine spell caster at level 1?

Zubrowka74
2013-08-22, 03:22 PM
Rangers can cast divine spells from a scroll. But they can't really cast spells until level 4. So does CLW show up on a Ranger spell list even if he can't cast any spells? Is a Ranger even consider a divine spell caster at level 1?

It was mentioned that A) he already cast spells from scrolls, and B) it a NPC so he might be of higher level than the PCs.

Also, I think it's been assumed the 2nd cleric is level 2. His level ain't specified.

Novercalis
2013-08-22, 07:48 PM
2nd cleric level 3 as well and yeah, Ranger NPC unknown level, unknown spell he casted from scroll. I failed my spotcheck to notice the magic to follow up with a spellcraft check.