PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Feats] Making mysteries more accessible

Xuldarinar
2013-08-21, 03:56 AM
Simply an idea I had. Two feats that would allow spellcasters and manifesters to learn mysteries. I don't know if they are good feats, let alone great ideas, but I thought I'd at least get them out there.

Apprentice of Mysteries
Prerequisites: Shadow Weave Magic (http://dndtools.eu/feats/forgotten-realms-campaign-setting--19/shadow-weave-magic--2568/) or Conjunctive Mind (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pse/20021025a)
Benefit: Upon selecting this feat, select a single spellcasting or manifesting class you have levels in. You gain the ability to learn and cast mysteries as a member of that class, and learn a single 1st level mystery. If the class you have selected knows all their spells (or powers) at 1st level, you may learn a single mystery each time you acquire a level in that class. Unlike mysteries possessed by a shadowcaster, these mysteries take up slots (or power points) appropriate for their level, and they never progress to spell-like abilities nor to supernatural abilities. Your caster level, casting ability(s), and highest level mystery you may use is based on the class you have selected. To learn and cast a mystery, you must be able to cast spells of that level, and must know a mystery of that level or one level lower. You may only learn apprentice path mysteries and fundamentals (if the class possesses 0 level spells), and may not skip ahead within a path.
Special: You may take this feat more than once, selecting a different spellcasting or manifesting class that you possess each time.

Initiate of Mysteries
Prerequisite: Apprentice of Mysteries, knowledge of at least 1 3rd level mystery; able to cast 4th level spells or manifest 4th level powers.
Benefit: Upon acquiring this feat, you learn a single 4th level mystery. You may now learn initiate path mysteries as a member of the class(es) you selected with the Apprentice of Mysteries feat.

Morph Bark
2013-08-21, 04:19 AM
What are Shadow Weave Magic or Conjunctive Mind?

The second feat calls the first feat by a different name. Technically, that would make the second feat untakeable, considering there is no Apprentice of Shadow feat.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-21, 04:26 AM
What are Shadow Weave Magic or Conjunctive Mind?

The second feat calls the first feat by a different name. Technically, that would make the second feat untakeable, considering there is no Apprentice of Shadow feat.

Shadow Weave Magic is a feat in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book. It provides a bonus to DCs and Caster level checks involving Enchantment, Illusion and Necromancy spells, and spells with the darkness descriptor. You lose spells of the light descriptor, and lose 2 wisdom. This feat is a prerequisite for the shadow adept PrC.

Conjunctive Mind is from the web enhancement Expanding your Mind: Subpsionics. It is basically the psionic equivalent of Shadow Weave Magic. This feat is a prerequisite for the shadow mind (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20021025b)PrC, another thing from web enhancement and is basically the psionic equivalent of the shadow adept.

Seeing as the Shadow Weave is mentioned in ToM (Shadow Magic), I figured these feats would be appropriate, at least to a point.

Fixed the difference in name. I was going to go with Apprentice of Shadow, Initiate of Shadow, and Master of Shadow… But then the last feat would have matched the name of a PrC from ToM. Feeling it would have been much to permit master mysteries via feats, want to leave shadowcasters something of their own, I limited it to initiate mysteries.

Edit: I've now fixed both errors where there was a difference in name.