2006-12-18, 06:19 AM
New comic is up.

Zeb The Troll
2006-12-18, 06:23 AM
Overall good fun.

I loved "Does she look like she's swooning? DO IT AGAIN!"

Seraph
2006-12-18, 06:24 AM
ah, yes, "Again!" the watchword of Masters everywhere.

Eldhrin
2006-12-18, 06:26 AM
Fantastic! My friend and I were in stitches.

Diabo
Great strip keep them coming :P Is Elan ready now?

Archonic Energy
suddenlly i'm thinking of team america

"we're gonna need a montage"

Baru
2006-12-18, 06:27 AM
Excellent comic.
I await to see what disasters and misadventurous plot twists are in store.

Mr._Wilson
Why do I have the South Park "Montage" song stuck in my head after reading that strip?

The Capt.'s last statement made me smile.

Carrion_Humanoid
Great comic, Again I like this storyline.

Adder
2006-12-18, 06:28 AM
Wow, Elan and Julio make a perfect match (in a strict student/teacher kind of way). But I don't think it will be too hard for Elan to get this Dashing Swordsman-thing right; he *did* try to outrun this exploding mountain after all :smile:

drkdstryer
2006-12-18, 06:28 AM
Great strip keep them coming :P Is Elan ready now?

Of course not - he's been training for 20 minutes : P

I was very excited when I saw the title of this one - Rocky is just the epitome of training.

I'm just wondering if we'll actually see Elan level up or just have him go into the window... and i want to get to Nale vs Elan RIGHT NOW.

Mr._Wilson
2006-12-18, 06:29 AM
suddenlly i'm thinking of team america

"we're gonna need a montage"

I forget, did Matt and Trey do the Montage thing from South Park or Team America first?

I more strongly remember Stan doing the training than the guys from Team America, so I thought that one was done first, but I could be wrong.

Amon Star
2006-12-18, 06:31 AM
That was one of the funniest things I have ever read! The training was fantastic, so Cliched but cool, then the final panel just killed me! Giant, you are a genius, I salute you.

How did Julio find a girl for that training, anyway? And where was the rope hanging from?

She was probably one of the crew, like the guys in the costumes. The rope was probably hanging from the balloon.

Yorkiebar
Elan's new outfit rocks, I hope he never changes back. He also might even start being useful to the party in a fight now.

Last_resort_33
HaHa Excellent.... Was the 4th panel supposed to be a take on the training from the Monkey Island games... or is it just me?

Archonic Energy
2006-12-18, 06:32 AM
I forget, did Matt and Trey do the Montage thing from South Park or Team America first?

I more strongly remember Stan doing the training than the guys from Team America, so I thought that one was done first, but I could be wrong.

Probably the only "clean" song in the movie.
http://www.lyricsbox.com/team-america-lyrics-montage-jbg7jr2.html

i must admit i think of this scene whenever i see a trainang montage... even brian & stewies.

Selvan
2006-12-18, 06:32 AM
That was sweet.
So many movies have these Training Scenes.
Everyone knows that they are essential.

Heads_or_Tails
2006-12-18, 06:33 AM
Heh, good comic, but as for actually teaching those things? Why? you've just had a perfectly good montage, why let it go to waste?

baerdith
2006-12-18, 06:35 AM
That was priceless!

:elan:: Do you get my point?

Amon Star
2006-12-18, 06:35 AM
Wow, Elan and Julio make a perfect match (in a strict student/teacher kind of way).

:durkon: "Not tha there's anything wrong with tha alternative."

nadira
2006-12-18, 06:36 AM
Wonderful :biggrin:
I'd say that the montage goes quite well with Elan's Summon Plot Esposition, he'll be an amazing Dashing Swordsman in no time :smallwink:

Eloco
2006-12-18, 06:43 AM
Love this npc :)

Grod_The_Giant
2006-12-18, 06:46 AM
Elan will be usefull now...it's like everything is backwards...up is down, white is black...the whole foundation of the universe is collapsing!

Aurumvorax
2006-12-18, 06:47 AM
How did Julio find a girl for that training, anyway? Well I don't think Julio could run the ship on his own, no matter how cool he is. He's bound to have some crew around.

Excellent comic, Giant! I especially loved the "Does she look like she's swooning?" thing :smallbiggrin:

Demented
2006-12-18, 06:48 AM
Elan doesn't understand the value of a good training montage? And I thought he said he was a Bard! ....Not that bards need much in the way of training montages. ("Sing! Sing louder!")

The_Cowinator
2006-12-18, 06:50 AM
NIce Comic. Excellent Scenery.

Khantalas
2006-12-18, 06:50 AM
Well I don't think Julio could run the ship on his own, no matter how cool he is. He's bound to have some crew around.

Do not underestimate the utter coolness of Kyle Ka... I mean, Julio Scoundrél!

Artector
2006-12-18, 06:54 AM
Great comic. Never been disappointed.

I'm loving the Elan storyline your building Giant, its developing Elan into a much better character. The great get greater.

PhoenixRising
2006-12-18, 06:59 AM
Great comic, I love it. I was somehow hearing the music in my head (removes iPod, still hearing song, removes ears, still hearing it!) In any other webcomic, this would be one of the best ones EVER, but here its just one more strip out of 391. If I ever get to be czar of America, this will become required reading for everyone...:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Hey, cool, I barely made it.

DArKandEViL
2006-12-18, 07:03 AM
Haha Very Funny, i love the joke.

The Glitter Ninja
2006-12-18, 07:08 AM
Julio's frequent costume changes were amazing. Loved the strip!

denelian
2006-12-18, 07:09 AM
wow up early!

and OMG... the laughter...

Om
2006-12-18, 07:16 AM
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Maurog
2006-12-18, 07:19 AM
HaHa Excellent.... Was the 4th panel supposed to be a take on the training from the Monkey Island games... or is it just me?

It's a reference to one of the very first arcade games - Pitfall.

Korta
2006-12-18, 07:21 AM
Fabulous comic!

I think Elan is rapidly outstripping Haley as my fave character....

*HUG GIANT*

Pheldagriff
2006-12-18, 07:24 AM
I only found it to be mediocre funny

Lord Zentei
2006-12-18, 07:29 AM
And where was the rope hanging from?

The rigging? They are on a ship, after all. :smalltongue:

Quixotic
2006-12-18, 07:29 AM
Honestly, I'm most impressed that the dummy Elan is carrying is dressed up like Karen Black from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'm not sure why that is.

DarkLightDragon
2006-12-18, 07:33 AM
That was awesome!

Shakalooloo_Doom
2006-12-18, 07:41 AM
This sky pirate captain is great. We need more of him!

ref
2006-12-18, 07:48 AM
If I ever get to be czar of America, this will become required reading for everyone...:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

If I ever get to vote in the America Czar elections, you have my vote.:smallcool: :smallbiggrin:

Swashbuckler
2006-12-18, 07:52 AM
Hooray for Training Scene Montages! :biggrin:

Vargtass
2006-12-18, 07:58 AM
How did Julio find a girl for that training, anyway?

I don't think a character with 10 levels of Dashing Swordsman needs to look twice to get girls...

GKBeetle
2006-12-18, 08:00 AM

Wow. I thought I would be the only one to get that. I think I remember that actually being one of the quips from one of the Monkey Island games. Most of them were pretty corny like that, so even if it wasn't one of the quips, it definetly could have been.

A Gray Phantom
2006-12-18, 08:02 AM
:smallbiggrin: The only thing that would've made this training montage better is if Scoundrel had dressed up Thog as the girl in panel 5. But I guess if that had happened, then Thog would've been in drag in #386.

radishlaw
2006-12-18, 08:05 AM
Oh my, the "dashing swordman" jokes are killing me. For some reason I keep thinking of Guybrush Threepwood (in the adventure game series "Monkey Island") and his insult sword fighting.
Keep up the good work, I think I am going to enjoy this story arc very much.

Blaznak
2006-12-18, 08:07 AM
Cute. "parry, thrust, quip" Cute stuff.

But hey now... we know the Captain has a crew! That's nifty to know...

Later!

blackout
2006-12-18, 08:22 AM
Pleaselettherebemoretrainingscenes, pleaselettherebemoretrainingscenes, please-BAWK!*implodes from talking too fast*

Nightfall
2006-12-18, 08:26 AM
Honestly, I'm most impressed that the dummy Elan is carrying is dressed up like Karen Black from Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'm not sure why that is.

That was Karen Allen, not Karen Black.

Great comic! I particularly like Julio's comment, "Though maybe I SHOULD teach you those things..." Heh heh heh...ya think? Might come in handy!

_ _ _ _ _ _

:elan: "Did I upset your plans?"

:nale: "You've come to Azure City once too often!"

:elan: "When this is over, my friend, there'll be no need for me to come again!"

Pvednes
2006-12-18, 08:28 AM
Even Rocky had a montaaage...

Nazzo, the 102nd
2006-12-18, 08:30 AM
:nale: This is the END for you, you gutter-crawling cur!
:elan: And I've got a little TIP for you, get the POINT?

:nale: Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!
:elan: First you better stop waiving it like a feather-duster.

:nale: My handkerchief will wipe up your blood!
:elan: So you got that job as janitor, after all.

:nale: People fall at my feet when they see me coming.
:elan: Even BEFORE they smell your breath?

:nale: I once owned a dog that was smarter then you.
:elan: He must have taught you everything you know.

:nale: You make me want to puke.
:elan: You make me think somebody already did.

:nale: Nobody's ever drawn blood from me and nobody ever will.
:elan: You run THAT fast?

:nale: You fight like a dairy farmer.
:elan: How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

:nale: I got this scar on my face during a mighty struggle!
:elan: I hope now you've learned to stop picking your nose.

:nale: Have you stopped wearing diapers yet?
:elan: Why, did you want to borrow one?

:nale: I've heard you were a contemptible sneak.
:elan: Too bad no one's ever heard of YOU at all.

:nale: You're no match for my brains, you poor fool.
:elan: I'd be in real trouble if you ever used them.

:nale: You have the manners of a beggar.
:elan: I wanted to make sure you'd feel comfortable with me.

:nale: I'm not going to take your insolence sitting down!
:elan: Your hemorrhoids are flaring up again, eh?

:nale: There are no words for how disgusting you are.
:elan: Yes there are. You just never learned them.

:nale: I've spoken with apes more polite then you.
:elan: I'm glad to hear you attended your family reunion.
The last one doesn't make much sense for them, but anyway... :biggrin:

Woodlock
2006-12-18, 08:32 AM
Great comic, as usual. A very nice way to start off a Monday.:smallbiggrin:

Manga Shoggoth
2006-12-18, 08:38 AM
Whyyyyyyyy can't I have training courses like that one?

Khantalas
2006-12-18, 08:40 AM
:nale: Every enemy I've met, I've annihilated!
:elan: With your breath, I'm sure they all suffocated!

:nale: I'll hound you, night and day!
:elan: Then be a good dog! Sit! Stay!

:nale: No one can match my witty reparteé!
:elan: They would, if you weren't running away!

:nale: Killing you is justifiable homicide.
:elan: Then killing you must be justifiable fungicide.

:nale: Gods preserve! You look like something that's died!
:elan: The only way you'll be preserved is in formaldehyde!

charik
2006-12-18, 08:41 AM
Ah, the Dashing Swordsman life for me!

Fav line:
:julio: Swing! Swing like your opening weekend boxoffice returns depend on it!

Logos7
2006-12-18, 08:48 AM
Now the question is will Rich be releasing the Dashing Swordsman, alll nice and D20 and OGM for the webpage ,I know i'd be looking forward to it and i'm preety sure rich has more than an inkling of what goes in it ( Wink *Swoon* Quip *Thrust* )

Juust my buck 51 with change

Logos

SDF
2006-12-18, 08:56 AM
Love the croc suits. I like the new outfit for Elan, I hope he keeps it.

Bruenor
2006-12-18, 08:57 AM
Yeah, but if I played a dashing swordsman, I would have to like have a list, cuz I don't think them up that fast...Great comics and great insult Ideas...

Snake-Aes
2006-12-18, 08:57 AM
They're like born to each other, as master and disciple! :D

Viscount_Grey
2006-12-18, 09:01 AM
Oh yes, you can't beat a montage.... Team America, and of course, the original montage-masters - The A-Team... go to it with that attack machine, whether a collection of random sheet metal, engines and gas canisters which are the staple furniture of every criminal's office/prisoner holding area; or with a puppet recovering from an identity crisis; and of course here with the dashing and debonair Elan! Great!

warmachine
2006-12-18, 09:12 AM
I wonder how Elan can learn to make women swoon in a few days when there is no sex appeal skill? You can't dramatically improve an attribute in a short time. Or is the skill Perform(Sexy pose)?

Yeh, I know. The author writes what's funny, not according to a set of rules.

Movoza
2006-12-18, 09:14 AM
hmmm nice comic

but dont heroes always get everyone else killed?

Brawl
2006-12-18, 09:15 AM
I check OOTS at morning - no comic, I checked from school - no comic, returned to home - there's comic ^^ Besides great one, 'preparations & training' phase is always my favourite phase of the movies :)

Freelance Henchman
2006-12-18, 09:16 AM
I like that he has some guys in crocodile costumes and a swooning target girl working for him. Plus, he apparently keeps several scenery backdrops on his ship, in addition to a damsel-in-distress-puppet and freaking CROCODILE COSTUMES.

Shikton
2006-12-18, 09:17 AM
One word: Kickass. Gimme more!

Adder
2006-12-18, 09:31 AM
Quote:Originally Posted by Adder

Wow, Elan and Julio make a perfect match (in a strict student/teacher kind of way).

:durkon: "Not tha there's anything wrong with tha alternative."

In this special case, there is, because Elan belongs to Haley :smallredface:

kerberos
2006-12-18, 09:32 AM
That was priceless!

:elan:: Do you get my point?
I still think Nale will win though. You see Nale uses a longsword. So he has an edge there. :smallbiggrin:

battleburn
2006-12-18, 09:38 AM
hmmm nice comic

but dont heroes always get everyone else killed?

That wasn't the quote;
"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed."
Zoe Warren, "Serenity" (2005)
(wikiquote)If this was 20 minutes, then I wonder what kind of superhero Elan will become after 3 days.
Punmaster Elan for the rescue!!

-Battleburn

Zeikz
2006-12-18, 09:46 AM
Incredible comic Giant, like always. :biggrin: Keep up the awesome work.

Gorm_the_DBA
2006-12-18, 09:50 AM
Of course not - he's been training for 20 minutes : P

Ahh, but you forget one of the other, rarely publicized, skills of the Dashing Swordsman...

"Quick Training", A Dashing Swordsman of at least level 8 can train an apprentice Dashing Swordsman of up to 1/2 his Dashing Swordsman level in a mere 2d20+level minutes with a successful Charisma check. This training, referred to as a "montage", ingrains the critical skills of the class into the character's self through quick exposure of the skill, frequent use of the Power Word "Again", and the realization that time is short, but learning must happen NOW!

Alternatively, recall Elanicus "If I decide to take a level in Sorceror, it's assumed I've been watching and learning from V all this time" (well..that's not the exact quote, but you know where I am coming from.

Khantalas
2006-12-18, 09:59 AM
Wizard. Not Sorcerer.

RoboticSheeple
2006-12-18, 10:00 AM
Last panel over counted the changes by one for both things, it's not a change if it was already there. So that had me confused for a bit.
other than that though, this comic rides lollerskates on rofflecopters.

Gorm_the_DBA
2006-12-18, 10:03 AM
Wizard. Not Sorcerer.

I did say it wasn't an exact quote :smallyuk:

rosebud
2006-12-18, 10:04 AM
Wonderful, though I haven't seen Elan having probably getting girls. Realizing they like him seems to be an occasional problem, though.

And I love the Pitfall reference and Elan's smile when brushing.

Does this mean that Nale needs a prestige class, a costume change, and decreased competence, or will the twins finally diverge? :smallwink: (No reply required for this question -- it's a rhetorical quip. :smallsmile:)

pendell
2006-12-18, 10:05 AM
I got one thing to say about these past two strips ...

AWESOME!

I LOVE Elan as a dashing swashbuckler! It's a great development of his character!

I love everything about this! Were I not in a committed relationship with my Deity, I'd be tempted to fall at the feet of the Giant! This is good stuff!

The only thing I wonder is how we're going to make him back into the empty-headed comic relief he was in earlier strips -- as Dashing Swashbuckler, with all that charm and dash and charisma, there's a very good chance he'll usurp Roy as party leader.

Something neither Elan nor Roy would want. Elan is a sweet guy, but he looks up to Roy. By the same token, I don't see Roy adjusting easily to a new role as second fiddle to Elan.

I dunno how this is going to work out, but I have every confidence that the Giant will tell a good story somehow.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2006-12-18, 10:07 AM
PS. I hope Elan throws in the "You fight like a Dairy Farmer! " line from Secret of Monkey Island. If FF geeks can have their day, so can I!

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

chibibar
2006-12-18, 10:13 AM
heh... well... I have been playing many D&D type games and never had anyone roleplay the "training" part or leveling up on their character. Usually instanteous and move on.

Considering OoTS has broken the 4th wall many times.. I figure Rich was doing multiple things at the same time :)

Elan level up and took an epic class and spend some skill points.. Bam.. Dashing Swordman :)

Deuce
2006-12-18, 10:19 AM
:nale: Every enemy I've met, I've annihilated!
:elan: With your breath, I'm sure they all suffocated!

:nale: I'll hound you, night and day!
:elan: Then be a good dog! Sit! Stay!

:nale: No one can match my witty reparteé!
:elan: They would, if you weren't running away!

:nale: Killing you is justifiable homicide.
:elan: Then killing you must be justifiable fungicide.

:nale: Gods preserve! You look like something that's died!
:elan: The only way you'll be preserved is in formaldehyde!

No more rhyming now, I mean it! :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-18, 10:27 AM
Anybody wanna peanut?

And speaking of movie lines,

In anything if you want to go
From just a beginner to a pro
You need a montage.
(Montage!)

Zephra
2006-12-18, 10:37 AM
Oh, perfect comic. I thought Elan would be better at the thearetics, though. he should already know about swinging in on vines, and things like that, right? when he swung in to save Haley, I wasn't surprised. it was very like him to do it dramaticly (see http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0119.html )

Quixoto
2006-12-18, 10:40 AM
And cue the Rocky IV montage theme.

There's no easy way out,
There's no short cut home.
There's no easy way out,
Giving in can't be wrong.

Gotta say, I've really enjoyed these last few comics. The story of Elan breaking out of jail and saving Haley is probably the best yet I've seen in Order of the Stick... and I'm basing that on not just the story itself but how it's told.

Wonderful, simply wonderful.

Quixoto
2006-12-18, 10:46 AM
The only thing I wonder is how we're going to make him back into the empty-headed comic relief he was in earlier strips -- as Dashing Swashbuckler, with all that charm and dash and charisma, there's a very good chance he'll usurp Roy as party leader.

This is an interesting concern I've noticed with a lot of members of the board. We worry how this new prestige class will change the character of Elan, but it seems like we're forgetting that the dashing and charming traits don't necessarily negate the empty headed traits. To me this new class does nothing more than enhance what makes Elan Elan.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

smellie_hippie
2006-12-18, 11:04 AM
Tee hee. You know... you can't go wrong with making a joke from the band "Survivor". Ah... one-hit-wonders. True genius Giant! :smallwink: I look forward to the "witty banter" between :elan: and :nale: .

Hilbert
2006-12-18, 11:09 AM
Wow, best strip so far! Just as the last ones were. :smallbiggrin:

Fav. line: "Does she look like she's swooning?" But you need to see her face. :smallbiggrin: And I like the rag doll. :smallsmile: It's funny that the rag doll's arms and leg are thicker than those of the humans.

The third panel reminds me of Monsters, Inc.

Mike in "Monsters, Inc.":
C'mon, fight that plaque! Fight that plaque! Scary monsters don't have plaque!

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2006-12-18, 11:18 AM
And a wagon. Full of pancakes.

Oh dear, I wonder what mischeif Thog could be getting up to right about now...

Knight13
2006-12-18, 11:22 AM
Oh man, each panel was funnier then the last.

IronSoldier820
2006-12-18, 11:24 AM
Nale already has three classes (Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer) so hes not getting another one, much less a prestige class, anytime soon. If I recall, Elan's new prestige class is to counter Elan's needlessly amount of multi-classing.

Dashing Swordsman only enhances Elan's strength in combat with Charisma, in no way will this enhance his pitiful wisdom/intelligence scores. So, the chances of him becoming the leader and replacing Roy are very slim. His last plan involved Thog stuffing potato salad into some wooden object, no hes not going to replace Roy as the leader.

Great comic I must say, the Eye of the Tiger is a very catchy song and even better as a montage. Its nice to see this story arc go underway, but I still have one question. Wheres Banjo, God of Sock Puppets? I mean, Elan's been thrown in jail and they didn't go back for Thog's axe with sentimental value. Does that mean that they left Banjo behind!?!

CGM3
2006-12-18, 11:24 AM
Am I the only Babylon 5 fanboy who caught Cap'n Scoundrel's classic Koshism? :smallconfused:

"And so... it begins." :smallcool:

Amon Star
2006-12-18, 11:32 AM
I wonder how Elan can learn to make women swoon in a few days when there is no sex appeal skill? You can't dramatically improve an attribute in a short time. Or is the skill Perform(Sexy pose)?

Making someone of the opposite sex soon might be a class feature.

In this special case, there is, because Elan belongs to Haley :smallredface:

Good point. Like :elan:'s rapier.

Caractacus
2006-12-18, 11:45 AM
Excellent! I have missed the postings for a few days as I've ben ver' busy - but it's such a reward to come back to OotS whent here's time and find such quality entertainment!

Elan's rescue of haley HAS to work, that we can take for granted, but I look forward to hearing over the years to come all of Elan's dashing but foolish plans that he comes up with and Roy has to deal with. :smallcool:

Amon Star
2006-12-18, 11:54 AM
Nale already has three classes (Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer) so hes not getting another one, much less a prestige class, anytime soon. If I recall, Elan's new prestige class is to counter Elan's needlessly amount of multi-classing.

It was actually to deal with :nale:'s equal or superior fighting ability, which he has despite his multi-classing. Anyway, there's nothing stopping a tri-class character take a prestige class. Infact... I think :nale: will get his ass handed to him by :elan: but get away. As he flees there will be a panel or two of him saying how he can't believe :elan:'s new ability and that he must find a way to even the score. Cue the funky new prestige class for everyone's favourite munchkin.

Dashing Swordsman only enhances Elan's strength in combat with Charisma, in no way will this enhance his pitiful wisdom/intelligence scores. So, the chances of him becoming the leader and replacing Roy are very slim. His last plan involved Thog stuffing potato salad into some wooden object, no hes not going to replace Roy as the leader.

QFT.

Great comic I must say, the Eye of the Tiger is a very catchy song and even better as a montage. Its nice to see this story arc go underway, but I still have one question. Wheres Banjo, God of Sock Puppets? I mean, Elan's been thrown in jail and they didn't go back for Thog's axe with sentimental value. Does that mean that they left Banjo behind!?!

Banjo is probably with :elan:'s other stuff, ie, with :nale:. Except for the lute which got left in the street.

Am I the only Babylon 5 fanboy who caught Cap'n Scoundrel's classic Koshism? :smallconfused:

"And so... it begins." :smallcool:

I'm a Babylon 5 fanboy and I completely missed that! O the shame! I feel all dirty inside.

beholder
2006-12-18, 11:55 AM
did i miss something huge? what the deuce are you talking about?

Amon Star
2006-12-18, 11:56 AM
did i miss something huge? what the deuce are you talking about?

It's a Monkey Island reference.

Edgehopper
2006-12-18, 12:28 PM
The South Park montage song was indeed used in an episode before Team America, specifically episode 603 - Asspen, first aired 3/13/02. Stan has to train for a ski race in a parody of silly teen ski movies.

Quixoto
2006-12-18, 12:37 PM
The South Park montage song was indeed used in an episode before Team America, specifically episode 603 - Asspen, first aired 3/13/02. Stan has to train for a ski race in a parody of silly teen ski movies.

I was going to correct you and boast about my superior South Park trivia skills... but then I actually looked it up and must concede defeat. But I will add that the song is later used again in an episode called "Up the Down Steroid" where Cartman pretends to be handicapped to win the Special Olympics.

There, now I can still hold my head up high in South Park trivia.

skreweded
2006-12-18, 12:43 PM
Since hearing that, if I know its a montage, my mind secretly plays the southpark montage song. Yay.

I like how he said he should actually teach him, despite all the montaging they have been doing. Everyone KNOWS montages teach everything, in a short period of time!

dani_carip
2006-12-18, 12:50 PM
I got sort of bored during the whole Haley/Nale thing, but the pace is definitely picking up now!!!

"Does she look like she's swooning? DO IT AGAIN!"

happyjenn97
2006-12-18, 12:57 PM
The gators/crocs are adorable! :smallbiggrin:

calvinism
2006-12-18, 01:17 PM
My old Army buddy showed me the site about 3 months ago and I have been hooked ever since. I laugh every time I read this comic. I have read all of the posted comics twice and each time I find something else to chuckle at. I have found my new prestige class.

Gatekreeper
2006-12-18, 01:27 PM
In response to Nazzo's post:

:nale: This is the END for you, you gutter-crawling cur!
:elan: And I've got a little TIP for you, get the POINT?

:nale: Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!
:elan: First you better stop waiving it like a feather-duster.

:nale: My handkerchief will wipe up your blood!

:nale: People fall at my feet when they see me coming.

:nale: I once owned a dog that was smarter then you.

:nale: You make me want to puke.

:nale: Nobody's ever drawn blood from me and nobody ever will.

:nale: You fight like a dairy farmer.

:nale: I got this scar on my face during a mighty struggle!

:nale: Have you stopped wearing diapers yet?

:nale: I've heard you were a contemptible sneak.

:nale: You're no match for my brains, you poor fool.

:nale: You have the manners of a beggar.

:nale: I'm not going to take your insolence sitting down!

:nale: There are no words for how disgusting you are.

:nale: I've spoken with apes more polite then you.
The last one doesn't make much sense for them, but anyway... :biggrin:

:nale: I've got a long, sharp lesson for you you to learn today.
:elan: And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?

:nale: My tongue is sharper then any sword.
:elan: First you better stop waving it like a feather-duster.

:nale: My name is feared in every dirty corner of this island!

:nale: My wisest enemies run away at the first sight of me!

:nale: Only once have I met such a coward!

:nale: If your brother's like you, better to marry a pig.

:nale: No one will ever catch ME fighting as badly as you do.

:nale: I will milk every drop of blood from your body!

:nale: My last fight ended with my hands covered with blood.

:nale: I hope you have a boat ready for a quick escape.

:nale: My sword is famous all over the Caribbean!

:nale: I've got the courage and skill of a master swordsman!

:nale: Every word you say to me is stupid.

:nale: You are a pain in the backside, sir!

:nale: There are no clever moves that can help you now.

:nale: Now I know what filth and stupidity really are.

:nale: I usually see people like you passed-out on tavern floors.

RedHillian
2006-12-18, 01:28 PM
I'm just loving the guys dressed up as crocodiles.

That is all.

eof
2006-12-18, 01:34 PM

DM: "... and if you never saw an enraged minotaur before, here's your chance."

Thez
2006-12-18, 01:34 PM
Attention to detail - WOW
The Giant has done it again. I really like this mondays strip.
Funny, Witty and clever :)

MrNexx
2006-12-18, 01:45 PM
The best part of that is that I was listening to Weird Al's "Theme from Rocky XIII" as I was reading this one.

Excellent work, Rich!

Aerysil
2006-12-18, 01:55 PM
*looks at watch*

*looks outside*

Either we're getting a comic earlier than usual, or something knocked the earth out of its orbit.

Either way, :smallbiggrin:

Mad Scientist
2006-12-18, 02:12 PM
:elan: *wink*
:Julio:Does she look like she's swooning? DO IT AGAIN!
SO FUNNY!!

Mr_Saturn
2006-12-18, 02:24 PM
Lol, those backdrops really got me fooled. And the alligator costumes are great!

Daerthax
2006-12-18, 02:43 PM
Man, this was a great OOTS comic. If sound was supported, I could almost hear the 'montage' song that was played in 'Team America'.

This dashing swordsman kit is totally perfect for Elan.

krossbow
2006-12-18, 02:43 PM
I would of rather Elan just learned arcane strike, but heh...

Go get em' Elan! hah, I can't wait to see the aftermath of this with roy trying to wrap his head around this.

"So... Elan defeated nale and his crew... by himself."
"Yup!"

"Okay, no way thats elan, everyone pile on Nale!"

Zone
2006-12-18, 02:57 PM
One of the few strips that really makes me laugh. Comic wasn't as great as few but it was better than several.

tgva8889
2006-12-18, 03:00 PM
The scene changing thing is so...funny. Great job, Mr. Burlew.

Now, if you have stats made up for the Dashing Swordsman, I'd love to see them have their own gaming article. Let's see if we people on the boards can make a Prestige class similar to Rich's idea!

Holy_Knight
2006-12-18, 03:03 PM
"Does she look like she's swooning? DO IT AGAIN!" Lol, I'll have to remember that.

It's good to see Elan learning such important things--after all, a damsel who's not swooning is only half-rescued.
:elan:

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-18, 03:06 PM
Wow...this...is...the...greatest...class...for...E LAN!

as for roy thinking that it cant be Elan i agree...eits either him thinking its nale or the universe is going to start crashing down around roy again like in this strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html i mean its inevitable roys going to go insane or something we will see...i cant wait :smallamused:

IronMouse
2006-12-18, 03:12 PM
I just had to say “Does it look like she’s swooning?” made me laugh out loud.

tmacdevitt
2006-12-18, 03:16 PM
I know this will got lost in the background chatter, but thank you Rich, for your new early postings! I love it when I can read the days comic during my lunch break.

HomerHT
2006-12-18, 03:28 PM
Giant, you've been on fire these recent comics. Keep up the awesome work!

War
2006-12-18, 03:37 PM
As much as I love Elan, the strain of waiting to see what happens in the Big Confrontation is approaching critical levels.

Fortunately, the sheer volume of Monkey Island in this thread makes it all better again. Bring on more montages!

enigma
2006-12-18, 03:49 PM
The South Park montage song was indeed used in an episode before Team America, specifically episode 603 - Asspen, first aired 3/13/02. Stan has to train for a ski race in a parody of silly teen ski movies.I was reading through all these posts to see if someone actually remembered that. Whenever I hear the 'Montage' song I think of Stan going down the hill 'hot dog, pizza'.

Enigma

teratorn
2006-12-18, 03:50 PM
Pleaselettherebemoretrainingscenes, pleaselettherebemoretrainingscenes, please-BAWK!*implodes from talking too fast*
No! Please! I like this, but I think the Giant could have skipped it and put it later in the book. We left Haley in danger, I need to see her rescued. This flashback is taking too long (it doesn't mean it's not awsome).

K'tai
2006-12-18, 03:51 PM
"Swing! Swing like your opening weekend box office returns depend on it!"
Genius Giant. Genius.

Reptilius
2006-12-18, 03:54 PM
We got a montage! Montage! Trainin' Montage! MONTAGE! MONTAGE! MMMMOOOONNNNTAAAAAGGGGE!

5tephen
2006-12-18, 03:55 PM
"Eye of the Tiger"?

Baby!

Friggin' brilliant.

Menarker
2006-12-18, 03:59 PM
Now THIS is a nice perk.

Study under Julio for a Prestige class AND be allowed to hit on any of his female crew members for purpose of "training". ^^

Elan would be wise not to mention that particular benefit to Haley. =P

chibibar
2006-12-18, 04:10 PM
Now THIS is a nice perk.

Study under Julio for a Prestige class AND be allowed to hit on any of his female crew members for purpose of "training". ^^

Elan would be wise not to mention that particular benefit to Haley. =P

Remember Samantha?? Elan is already pretty proficient in wooing enemy female :) it is part of Bardic duty :)

Blood
2006-12-18, 04:20 PM
Well...I wanted to hear about how Elan and Thog broke out of prison, and a one, two, or even three comic flashback would have been nice. It's getting a bit long now - and a bit annoying, especially since the jokes are off-hand now that it's a bit of a sideplot. I liked it, but this sideplot is starting to get boring.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2006-12-18, 04:21 PM
I love it!!

So is the crocodile swinging scene a reference to "Romancing the Stone?"

Any other guess'?

GSFB
2006-12-18, 04:28 PM
But here is the big question:

Does anyone have an MP3 of "Eye of the Tiger" performed on medieval period instruments available to download?

LUTE SOLO!!!

Blackeagle
2006-12-18, 04:30 PM

It was in South Park first, in the episode "Asspen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asspen).

The Doctor
2006-12-18, 04:31 PM
I am getting the idea that where "No Cure of the Paladin Blues" was about Roy's development, the next book is going to be about Haley and Elan...

musicnerd
2006-12-18, 04:35 PM
Wow! Even though I'm worried about Haley, this plot line just gets more and more amazing!

Montage!

zegma
2006-12-18, 04:52 PM
Musicnerd ur avy is a elan/haley combo, i love it.
i liked the fact about the 20 mins and he canhged the back roudn liek 5 times. LOL.

Bluesilver
2006-12-18, 05:14 PM
Hooray for Training Scene Montages! :biggrin:
Yeah! And a bunch of other things too!

Nightfall
2006-12-18, 05:19 PM
"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."

(Patiently waiting for Rich to borrow from The Court Jester :smallbiggrin: )

Ah, but the flagon with the dragon dropped and shattered, so we had to put the potion with the poison in the chalice with the palace. :smallbiggrin:

Yes! I would love to see some more quotes from old movies.

Pantler
2006-12-18, 05:42 PM
That was so cool. Take that, Mask of Zorro! :elan: 8/10

Jalathas
2006-12-18, 05:52 PM
As soom as I saw the title, I knew exactly what this comic would be about.

Last panel over counted the changes by one for both things, it's not a change if it was already there. So that had me confused for a bit.
other than that though, this comic rides lollerskates on rofflecopters.
Nope. He changed the background five times: Outside to inside, inside to sunset, sunset to nighttime, nighttime to daytime, then daytime to nighttime again. You're correct, he only changed twice, but that's not what Elan said. He went through 3 costumes: brown, black, and red.

Felinoid
2006-12-18, 05:55 PM
Hehe. Not quite LOL good, but I was chuckling through the whole strip. Keep the jokes coming, oh Giant of Comedy.

riffin
2006-12-18, 05:59 PM
is there an avatar for Julio Scoundrel? I didnt get Elan: " Do you get my point?" help.

Moody the Wise
2006-12-18, 06:08 PM
is there an avatar for Julio Scoundrel? I didnt get Elan: " Do you get my point?" help.

Point = the point of his sword.

Grungydan
2006-12-18, 06:08 PM
LOVING the storyline. I really like Elan's new direction, and hope to see it continue. It'd be great to see something like "Elan and Roy develop a new mutual respect and become an unstoppable team" or something. :smallbiggrin:

And yes, more Julio.

mockingbyrd7
2006-12-18, 06:30 PM
Very cool, awesometastic comic. I've been enjoying the comic more than ever since Elan, Sabine and Thog all burst in on Nale and Haley. (Naley!)

pendell
2006-12-18, 06:32 PM
Ah, but the flagon with the dragon dropped and shattered, so we had to put the potion with the poison in the chalice with the palace. :smallbiggrin:

Yes! I would love to see some more quotes from old movies.

Nonononono! The pellet in the poison is in the chalice from the palace but the vessel from the pestle holds the brew that is true.

Except they broke the chalice from the palace.

So they put the pellet with the poison in the flagon with the dragon, but the vessel with the Pestle holds the brew that is true.

Court Jester ... brings back memories ...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

the_tick_rules
2006-12-18, 06:56 PM
if only he had included an audio file of eye of the tiger with the strip to go all out.

Hilary Moon Murphy
2006-12-18, 06:57 PM
Great fun.

I want to replace all my future mandatory job training sessions with training montages. Especially ones that allow me to swing on the rigging of airships.

Thank you!

Hmm

krossbow
2006-12-18, 07:11 PM
I personally think all the current comics have been gold because they've been about Elan; One way or another, I think Elan is genuinely the best character in the comic, as he now is able to be BOTH a comic relief, AND an awsome action hero, as shown by all his heroics lateley.

Adeptus
2006-12-18, 07:13 PM
To me the strip was actually funnier before the last panel. The idea of Elan training smile, quibbing and rescuing the ragdoll maiden in distress for the two days was hilarious.

The punchline wasn't really needed, at least for me, and it may even have marred the strip slightly.

Still. Once again, you've made me smile, mr. Burlew.

Tobimaro
2006-12-18, 07:22 PM
I too enjoyed today's strip. "Parry! And Thrust! And Quip!...Again!" :smallsmile:

"Elan, never underestimate the strategic value of a good Training Scene Montage." :smallsmile:

Now to wait for Wednesday's comic (hopefully to be released on Wednesday). :smallwink:

Nightfall
2006-12-18, 07:29 PM
Nonononono! The pellet in the poison is in the chalice from the palace but the vessel from the pestle holds the brew that is true.

Except they broke the chalice from the palace.

So they put the pellet with the poison in the flagon with the dragon, but the vessel with the Pestle holds the brew that is true.

Court Jester ... brings back memories ...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

You are correct, sir. It's been at least twenty years since I've seen the movie, and my memory is faulty, at best. (But it's out on DVD now, so there's hope! LOL)

foxtrothacker
2006-12-18, 09:13 PM
it was good, now... SAVE HALEY ALREADY!

1337_master
2006-12-18, 09:28 PM
Ya' Know... I thinks Elan Has Become less naive!

Enlong
2006-12-18, 10:36 PM
Yay for Montage!

I belive we've just seen more class skills in action!

charm Maiden
In which you use your Diplomacy skill to infatuate a female character

and
for the sake of theatrics
where you get a +2 to do anything theatrical!

Screech
2006-12-18, 11:29 PM
Wow really i must say i like this alot. before i really couldnt stand elan i mean he was funny only beacuse he was so stupid. now he can be dumb but he might actually be useful. Opens up so much more with him im really starting to like where this is heading and Elan is fast rising up my popularty list :)

keep up the great work.

Xi-1
2006-12-18, 11:50 PM
The crocodilles are from 'Pitfall.'
I see a lot of people have been to that 'Monkey Island' insults page, and that since the discussion for the previous page begun. That Elan wants to learn minus Montage has me surprised.
Oh yeah: Nale might use a longsword but we haven't seen him wearing it since the switch. Besides that, right now he's got a dinky little dagger. Longsword or not, he might not be a match for Elan now.

I play a half-elf fighter who uses moves straight out of 'Rurouni Kenshin.' Love the ideas of them, and I didn't bother to change the names. Because of their potency, I added a dimension to my character actually using them, meaning not only does he get them as Feats when he levels up, but he also has to get a Mastery Roll of natural 20 to use them when he wants to. Even when he gets them as a Feat, he can't use the moves until after he makes the Mastery Roll (and that only during his morning practice sessions). The benefit is that if I make the odds and get Mastery before Feat, my DM is letting him use the moves in critical situations. We also added a tachi (Japanese longsword) for my character to use whilst taking care of business. Gotta love being able to crit on an 18. That's how we worked that out, but if any of you have any input?

Bustin
2006-12-19, 12:08 AM
I have been reading this comic for some time and have really enjoyed it. This is my first time I was moved to post anything. This was a very funny strip. Am I just old and over thinking things but was the croc on break smoking what looked to be a cigar a take off of Colonel Smith from the A-Team? In the opening they always had that scene where he tossed open the dinosaur head and had the cigar in his mouth.

Bustin

Zeb The Troll
2006-12-19, 01:00 AM
Am I just old and over thinking things but was the croc on break smoking what looked to be a cigar a take off of Colonel Smith from the A-Team? In the opening they always had that scene where he tossed open the dinosaur head and had the cigar in his mouth.
Ah, I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Good catch! :smallcool:

skinkatlarge
2006-12-19, 01:55 AM
So, I want to lose about 25 pounds, quit smoking, and become a deadly martial arts master. Do I need an actual audience for my training montage, or can I just do it alone in my living room? If the latter, do I still need backdrops? If so, how realistic do the backdrops really have to be?

Dentarg
2006-12-19, 02:15 AM
Yay for Montage!

I belive we've just seen more class skills in action!

charm Maiden

and
where you get a +2 to do anything theatrical!

Asking for specifics here:
charm Maiden
Does use of this skill include Charisma bonuses? Is there a saving throw for it?

I assume this includes perform, could this also include Bluff, Intimidate, and Diplomacy skills? They too are used in forms of Theatre.

-----

And to the Giant: Excellent work! I've been reading OOTS for a while now, and as a DM myself, I love how much effort and relations are put into this comic. Five stars, I adore it!

Exalted_Hater
2006-12-19, 02:28 AM
Trully, Trully AWSOME!!!!!!

Mystery
2006-12-19, 03:58 AM
Good overall, but I think the punchline should have been more subtle.

Professor Tanhauser
2006-12-19, 03:59 AM
So, did anyone else think the guys in the 'gator suits' in this strip looked like Roy and Belkar?

BTW, did anyone else think the gators looked a lot like the one elan and belkar drew on the wall next to poisoned roy saying "I eat you, stinky roy!"?

On a more serious note, when elan shows up and tells his story, does anyone think that roy will finally develop some respect for him?

Noneoyabizzness
2006-12-19, 06:27 AM
oh yes, the power of the montage... who needs to actualy learn it

Enlong
2006-12-19, 06:47 AM
Asking for specifics here:
charm Maiden
Does use of this skill include Charisma bonuses? Is there a saving throw for it?

I assume this includes perform, could this also include Bluff, Intimidate, and Diplomacy skills? They too are used in forms of Theatre.

-----

And to the Giant: Excellent work! I've been reading OOTS for a while now, and as a DM myself, I love how much effort and relations are put into this comic. Five stars, I adore it!

Yes, it includes Cha bonuses, you get more bonuses at higher levels, and the Maiden Will Saves against it, and bonuses if she is hostile or attacking.

It gives a bonus to any action done simply for the sake of being more theatrical or amazing, like say.... swinging over a pit of crocodiles, or waiting out a full-mountain explosion for the last second, or bursting through the doors of a chuch yelling "I object!" at the perfect moment in order to convince the bride that her groom is evil.

CelestialStick
2006-12-19, 07:11 AM
I found this one mediocre, but after the last three or four absolute jewels, I can't complain. The strip has just been outstanding lately! :smallcool:

Ronald_saveloy
2006-12-19, 08:27 AM
I have been reading this comic for some time and have really enjoyed it. This is my first time I was moved to post anything. This was a very funny strip. Am I just old and over thinking things but was the croc on break smoking what looked to be a cigar a take off of Colonel Smith from the A-Team? In the opening they always had that scene where he tossed open the dinosaur head and had the cigar in his mouth.

Bustin

Nope! Those kids today just don't know A-Team. But I had that idea of reference too!

Morchaint
2006-12-19, 12:31 PM
yea. its funny. stir 10 parts funny ha ha to 1 part funny peculiar. bake via one comic voila stupendously funny comic

calvinism
2006-12-19, 05:17 PM
OMG the posts about the strip make the strip even funnier. The A-team reference, the pitfall reference, the south park montage all make the strip funnier the second time around. Its like getting a inside joke three days later funny for getting it funny for taking so long to get it. What a great community!

fangthane
2006-12-19, 06:23 PM
I have to go with Blood on this one... Not that there haven't been some good jokes, but the past pair of comics haven't really moved things along much. Condensing it to a single (extra-length) comic could have served just as well, if not even a little better, and I'm starting to have thoughts like "get to the PLOT again already." Presumably that'll be coming up shortly.

On the plus side, loved the A-Team parallel, though I hadn't even thought of the bit in the intro, just that George Pepard *always* seemed to have a smoke. Who knows, it may just be a joke about the crew being on break, but it reminded me of the A-Team too. The Pitfall crocs were beautiful, but I really don't think there's quite as much Monkey Island as some might think. Some, to be sure... But there's precious little spitting going on, and no grog in sight. I get the impression Julio is a slightly different breed of pirate. One might almost say he's better than the average SCUMM who descend to piracy. (or ascend to air piracy)

keri
2006-12-19, 06:37 PM
On a more serious note, when elan shows up and tells his story, does anyone think that roy will finally develop some respect for him?

ah... yes, that's a good question. i personally think he'll freak out that elan is playing the hero, and be humiliated because elan, of all people, was the one to save haley.

the other question of course, is how much of elan's real motive he'll choose to reveal. he could cop out and just blame it on loyalty- oooorrr... he could be dashing and sweep haley off her feet!

hmmm :smallwink:

Nightfall
2006-12-19, 06:53 PM
It gives a bonus to any action done simply for the sake of being more theatrical or amazing, like say.... swinging over a pit of crocodiles, or waiting out a full-mountain explosion for the last second...

Didn't Elan already do this to Roy as they were escaping Xykon's lair the first time? I seem to remember Elan telling Roy to "wait for it...", but I can't find the episode now.

Mewtroid
2006-12-19, 06:59 PM
Musicnerd ur avy is a elan/haley combo, i love it.
i liked the fact about the 20 mins and he canhged the back roudn liek 5 times. LOL.

*whimper* *wounded Wookiee sound* Oh dear god, you just destroyed every hope I had that this forum was a sacred place protected from all that is wrong with the internet. Avy comments in posts in serious thread, complete illegibility. For the love of all that is good, holy, and digital, your sig has a comma where an apostrophe should go! Just stick a knife in my heart and get it over with!

...Ok. Enough stupidity outta me, I'll probably regret that later but I cannot help it. I loved this comic. the bit about the swooning, the quip, those gators, everything. Here I was, thinking they'd probably spent a few hours on each of those things, and 20 other things besides, and then the punchline completely threw me out of my chair and onto the floor, rolling in laughter.

I love this strip. Giant, you are a comedic god.

Xi-1
2006-12-19, 07:00 PM
keri, I think Elan is going to go all the way after the revelations he had in the prison (within 40 minutes). He might actually be getting smarter. Or more honest. With himself. Now if only Haley could swallow her dread and pride and take that Kiss of Opportunity I've mentioned time and again. After Sneak Attacking Nale, of course. He deserves it.

Yep, Nightfall, that's EXACTLY what he did. Really, much of the Dashing Swordsman stuff Elan already did as a Bard. Except now his 18 CHA goes into combat instead of whatever STR he has. It would be nice if Julio gave him a keen double-masterwork rapier too, but that's too much power... for now.

Yzorth
2006-12-19, 07:00 PM
I liked it. Definitely an above average comic. Pretty good all around.

Knuthulu
2006-12-19, 07:18 PM
I just had to say thanks for the comic...it´s excellent! I´m hooked, and now that I´ve plowed through all the old episodes I have to wait like a drooling puppy for every new one....it´s hard....

I´m not really a big gamer, I play once in a while, mostly D&D, but I constantly get hooked on various soaps, reality shows, TV shows, cartoons, animes etc, and now I´m a OOTS-fiend. It´s like a soap opera about RPG....in stick-figure format! Just what I didn´t know I always secretly wanted!

Once again, ahem, "mad props" and all that....

krossbow
2006-12-19, 09:34 PM
keri, I think Elan is going to go all the way after the revelations he had in the prison (within 40 minutes). He might actually be getting smarter. Or more honest. With himself. Now if only Haley could swallow her dread and pride and take that Kiss of Opportunity I've mentioned time and again. After Sneak Attacking Nale, of course. He deserves it.

Yep, Nightfall, that's EXACTLY what he did. Really, much of the Dashing Swordsman stuff Elan already did as a Bard. Except now his 18 CHA goes into combat instead of whatever STR he has. It would be nice if Julio gave him a keen double-masterwork rapier too, but that's too much power... for now.

How can a double rapier work? isn't it designed for piercing forward? It just seems like you'd constantly need to keep one end facing away from the enemy...:smallwink:

Heh, but yeah, I'm waiting for Julio to give him the rapier that he takes into battle with him. maybe a heirloom?

The_Old_Fox
2006-12-20, 01:23 AM
For the however many time this had been said in one way or another

"Training montage scenes rule" :smallcool:

Though just an aside, I thought that witty quips would be tied to INT and that CHA just makes the delivery better,
oh well.

eof
2006-12-20, 09:40 AM
charm Maiden

charm Maiden

Yes, it includes Cha bonuses, you get more bonuses at higher levels, and the Maiden Will Saves against it, and bonuses if she is hostile or attacking.

Well, if I may suggest...

First, there are some minor issues with this one. "Female character" is too imprecise. Can a human (N)PC use it on a female dragon? Marilith? Female deity? Also, how about Dashing Swordswomen, should they also have this class feature? (Other various details would also need to be worked out, such as uses per day.)

Also, there are already mechanics in place to infatuate other people. I'd suggest a bonus equal to your class level to Bluff and Diplomacy (and possibly Gather Information) when dealing with members of the opposite gender that share a type (and possibly also subtype) with your character. By its nature, it scales naturally and also factors in things like the target's initial mood.

CGM3
2006-12-20, 10:31 AM
How can a double rapier work? isn't it designed for piercing forward? It just seems like you'd constantly need to keep one end facing away from the enemy...:smallwink:

I suspect Xi-1 was suggesting (with "keen double-masterwork rapier") a blade that had been crafted with two "levels" of masterwork, so it either has a "natural" +2 bonus to hit, or is +1 to hit (from one level of masterwork) and has an extended critical threat range (a non-magical keen effect from the second level of masterwork).

Of course, neither is "kosher" for D&D, but, hey, it's Rich's world, so he can pretty much introduce what he wants, a la the Knights of the Dinner Table. ("Dude, that punk NPC is slammin' your honor!")