PDA

View Full Version : One theory shot down in flames

Tircey
2013-08-21, 06:57 AM
So Tarquin did not intend for Malack and Nale to have a dust up... and I wager Malack, for all his hatred of Nale would not have attempted to kill Nale. Really makes me wonder now if he is going to bring Malack back. His reactions and Laurins seem to indicate that they would definately try if at all possible.

Poppy Appletree
2013-08-21, 07:02 AM
They can't bring Malack back. As he said, resurrecting him is just a roundabout way of destroying the person he is (and now, was). Sure, there's a spell to revive undead in Libris Mortis, but that would be entirely anticlimactic.

Chantelune
2013-08-21, 07:08 AM
Resurecting Malack would bring him back as the lizardman he was before being a vampire.

I'm pretty sure Malack planned on killing Nale at some point. And would have done it anyway. Tarquin's hope that Nale would somehow manage to win the day to impress them and force Malack to a truce only showed that he didn't kown Nale as much as he thought he did.

Only thing Nale was really good at was cutting his losses. Well, until that point.

King of Nowhere
2013-08-21, 07:32 AM
They cannot raise malack, because malack died as a living over 200 years ago. Resurrection has a time limit of 10 years per caster level, so it would take an epic cleric to raise malack. Not sure there are any in oots. Rich anyway claimed no team has access to true resurrection (well, except team evil, now that we know redccloak hit 17 level, but he's not going to raise malack). So, no resurrection.

And yes, that tgheory is shot down. However, the basic premise of it - that tarquin did care for both nale and malach and didn't want to kill either of them - stands. He actually HAD found a way to save both, but nale forced his hand.

Kislath
2013-08-21, 02:14 PM
This is what I love about this strip-- every week we get new theories, and every week more of them are shattered. The fun never ends!
M.Night Shamaylan could learn some big lessons about plot twists from Rich.

Snails
2013-08-21, 03:31 PM
And yes, that tgheory is shot down. However, the basic premise of it - that tarquin did care for both nale and malach and didn't want to kill either of them - stands. He actually HAD found a way to save both, but nale forced his hand.

Yes, the theory partially stands.

One of the cornerstones of the set up theory is that "obviously" Tarquin, the master of intrigue, would anticipate that his vicious and impetuous son would off Malack given the opportunity. Tarquin practically handed the opportunity on a silver platter. Therefore: Tarquin wanted to give Nale a crack at Malack. (Or so the reasoning goes.)

Well, I (and others) was wrong. It was obvious to me that Nale would go after Malack, but (apparently) it was not so obvious to Tarquin.

In fact, we can see that Malack/Tarquin are highly consistent here. I would argue that by the letter of the law, Malack could have chosen to kill Nale immediately for his failure, but Malack politely waited for Tarquin to arrive to discuss the matter, as he recognized that killing Nale could be considered rude towards his longtime friend.

But what is revealed is the depth of Nale and Tarquin's inability to understand each other.

Tarquin is following a classic LE script: as long as those above you provide fair boons for your successes, following the orders of someone stronger is a fine thing (and very practical and wise)

Nale is following a classic Chaotic script: what I believe is right for me is what is important, and I am willing to pay a high price to never follow orders -- practicality is not important.

NerdyKris
2013-08-21, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I'm striking out with every theory lately. Even when I'm 100% positive, I'm wrong.

I love it. :smallbiggrin: