PDA

View Full Version : Resizing and Coloring in Adobe Illustrator

ufo
2006-12-18, 08:54 AM
Hi!

So i recently decided i would want to start trying to make OotS styled pictures/avatars. I'm nearly done with my first one, but i can't color it. Could anyone tell me how to make "fill" colors in Adobe Illustrator (it babbles on for hours about Live Paint Groups and other stuff)?

How do i resize the picture? When i "save for web" the picture is VERY small, and if i open it in any of my other painting programs (PSP 5 and Paint) and make the canvas size bigger, the canvas itself is bigger, but not the actual drawing.

Thanks in advance :)

(If it was explained in the "Guide to making avatars with Adobe Illustrator" thread i didn't understand it (english is not my native language), and then i'm sorry)).

:smallsigh:

ufo
2006-12-18, 03:58 PM
I am very ashamed *sniff* (bump)

zegma
2006-12-18, 07:16 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

down load the image resizer. i use it all the time.

power toys are programs that are made by ppl for their own comp. they send it to microsoft. microsoft likes it so they host it. its not an offfical thing for xp so it dosnt coem with it.

Ego Slayer
2006-12-18, 08:39 PM
Okay, I'll see if I can give you some help here!...

Could anyone tell me how to make "fill" colors in Adobe Illustrator (it babbles on for hours about Live Paint Groups and other stuff)?
1. Select the object!:smalltongue:
2. In the "Tools" box at the bottom you'll see the white "Fill" box, and beneath it the black "Stroke" box.
3. Double click the "Fill box, and select a color.

How do i resize the picture? When i "save for web" the picture is VERY small, and if i open it in any of my other painting programs (PSP 5 and Paint) and make the canvas size bigger, the canvas itself is bigger, but not the actual drawing.

I assume you didn't initially start with a 117px document.
1. File>Document Setup.
2. Under the Size drop down menu select "Custom" and make it 117px.

Now, if you've already got it sized right there's something called "Crop Marks".

EDIT: Object>Crop Area>Make. :smallsmile:

ufo
2006-12-19, 07:38 AM
Okay, I'll see if I can give you some help here!...

1. Select the object!:smalltongue:
2. In the "Tools" box at the bottom you'll see the white "Fill" box, and beneath it the black "Stroke" box.
3. Double click the "Fill box, and select a color.

I assume you didn't initially start with a 117px document.
1. File>Document Setup.
2. Under the Size drop down menu select "Custom" and make it 117px.

Now, if you've already got it sized right there's something called "Crop Marks".

EDIT: Object>Crop Area>Make. :smallsmile:

Crop Marks doesn't work, something about rectangles.

I did set the size as 117/117 at start.

Zegma, how the heck do you use the "toy"?

I'm sorry, but I'm not good with painting software :(

zegma
2006-12-19, 11:42 AM

Zegma, how the heck do you use the "toy"?

I'm sorry, but I'm not good with painting software :(

Did you install it? If you did, all you do is left click on the picture and chose the "resize picture" option. Go to advanced, and click costom. put it 117 by 117, or 120 by 120. I perfer 120 for some reason. If you want ill send you some screanshots on how to do it.

ufo
2006-12-19, 12:29 PM
Did you install it? If you did, all you do is left click on the picture and chose the "resize picture" option. Go to advanced, and click costom. put it 117 by 117, or 120 by 120. I perfer 120 for some reason. If you want ill send you some screanshots on how to do it.

For some reason, it doesn't change... I'll try to install again, maybe i missed some files.

(By the way, great job on the non-slang language :smallwink: )

EDIT: Oookay.. it works, yay and all... buuut... quality.. is.. very.. bad.. and.. outline.. is BLACK..

EDIT2: Okay, the resizing messing was because it was a .gif (apparently), but the resized avatar is just not.. 117/117 kindda size.. i gues my avatar is ca. 120/120, and the avatar i made is NOT that size.. i'll put those i made in my sig..

zegma
2006-12-19, 01:01 PM
It has to be a png when you resize.

EDIT:

NEVER , AND I MEAN NEVER SAVE YOUR FILES AS A JPEG. It swcrews them up. Keep it at png or gif. but i prefur png.

EDIT: since it was made as a rectangle u can never change it so if you want it to be 120 it would be 50 by 120. next time make it on a square canvaus

ufo
2006-12-19, 01:28 PM
The problem itself is that no matter what, the size is NOT.. avatar-sized..

but i'm making a new avatar now, square-canvas..

zegma
2006-12-19, 01:38 PM
then whats this????

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/zegma/ggsdg/blackbeltcrewmemberjy4Custom.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/zegma/ggsdg/blackbeltcrewmemberjy4Custom.jpg

the reqirements are it has to be between 20 by 20 and 120 by 120. its 50 by 120 so it works.

ufo
2006-12-19, 01:41 PM
*slap*

It's because it's not wide enough i don't think it's good enough.

Jesus, i'm sorry for the inconvience.

Though quality is still not the best :P

zegma
2006-12-19, 01:52 PM
lol what inconvience. i got nothing else to do.

ufo
2006-12-19, 01:59 PM
Though i still don't like the quality quite much when resizing :smallannoyed:

Anyways, thanks for the help, Zegma :)

zegma
2006-12-19, 02:07 PM
k. but i dont understand what you mean by the quality becasue for me its great lemm show you.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/zegma/Origanal/DarkEngeryO.png shricked down looks liek this. http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/zegma/DarkEngerySword.png

ufo
2006-12-19, 02:10 PM
k. but i dont understand what you mean by the quality becasue for me its great lemm show you.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/zegma/Origanal/DarkEngeryO.png shricked down looks liek this. http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o155/zegma/DarkEngerySword.png

I don't know.. for me, my resized pictures just look slightly blurred..

zegma
2006-12-19, 02:17 PM
...... umm was it a perfect square, oh i think i know, try to make your lines thicker. when its made smaller it look smoother if the line are thick.

ufo
2006-12-19, 02:42 PM
...... umm was it a perfect square, oh i think i know, try to make your lines thicker. when its made smaller it look smoother if the line are thick.

Okay, I'll try that :)

EDIT: Meh, program acts up when coloring double as thick lines.. but the 1 pt lines aren't THAT blurry, so it's okay, thanks for the help :)

zegma
2006-12-19, 03:01 PM
no problem.

Ego Slayer
2006-12-19, 03:02 PM

Rectangles? Whaaat? It's always worked for me. All it does is keep the full dcument size instead of putting the image right to the edge of the page.:smallconfused:

ufo
2006-12-19, 03:05 PM
Rectangles? Whaaat? It's always worked for me. All it does is keep the full dcument size instead of putting the image right to the edge of the page.:smallconfused:

I blame the dolphins :smalleek: