PDA

View Full Version : Noticed a Disturbing Pattern (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Chaotic Queen
2013-08-21, 11:19 AM
Okay, has anybody else noticed this? I realized a recent pattern where a character who kills another character ends up getting killed, and the one who killed them also gets killed later.

Durkon was killed by Malack, who was killed by Zzdtri and Nale, who were in turn killed by Vampire Durkon and Tarquin respectively. If this pattern continues, then I do believe Tarquin is next.

DiamondHooHaMan
2013-08-21, 11:24 AM
this sets off a chain event where the only character left is the MiTD who has JUST killed the Snarl for killing his best friend. he devourers himself and the cycle is complete .

Nettlekid
2013-08-21, 12:29 PM
That pattern also means that Vampire Durkon should be watching his back.

Roland Itiative
2013-08-21, 12:42 PM
Durkon was killed by Malack, who was killed by Zzdtri and Nale, who were in turn killed by Vampire Durkon and Tarquin respectively. If this pattern continues, then I do believe Tarquin is next.

You forgot to mention the reason Durkon died. Goblin #324 he killed way back in the Dungeon of Dorukan.

Michaeler
2013-08-21, 12:48 PM
Vampire Durkon will be killed to resurrect Durkon.

Snails
2013-08-21, 01:12 PM
From Belkar's dream sequence onwards the tune has changed to "Evolve or die".

As I see it, the Giant started the ball rolling on whittling down important characters way back then. As we go forward from here, there will be fewer and fewer characters introduced and more and more deaths. By narrative logic, an important character is (almost) always going to die at the hands of some other important character.

As the story moves forward, expect the Order to leave a wake of deaths behind them (some by their hand, some not).

This here is just a statistical blip, which is a narrative artifact of the Order wrapping up their business and moving onto to a new locale. Characters who cannot evolve to support a theme or otherwise support a narrative theme are often going to suffer very high attrition.

Fish
2013-08-21, 01:38 PM
I thought the pattern was:

"I don't know what you want from me."

Spoken by Belkar for trying to kill Durkula; spoken by Tarquin for protecting Nale.

Majorman
2013-08-21, 01:56 PM
:tarquin: Really, Nale, you would have been dead year ago if it weren't for my protection.
:nale: (dead)
:elan: Grrrrrrr! Dad, I'll kill you for that!
:tarquin: Oh yeah? You and what army? I have all those dinosaur-ridding legions with me and you? Just the five of you. Now stop that nonsense and tell me what you need in order to reach the next gate in time to prevent its ultimate destruction.

dps
2013-08-21, 08:39 PM

As I see it, the Giant started the ball rolling on whittling down important characters way back then. As we go forward from here, there will be fewer and fewer characters introduced and more and more deaths.

Uh, hardly. He's introduced a whole continent full of characters since then.

Demolator
2013-08-21, 10:44 PM
Okay, has anybody else noticed this? I realized a recent pattern where a character who kills another character ends up getting killed, and the one who killed them also gets killed later.

Tsukoko killed the hobgoblin smith (or whatever he was), the wights killed Tsukiko, and then Wight 2 ate Wight 1, Wight 3 ate Wight 2, Wight 4 ate Wight 3, then Wight 4 immolated itself! It's a good thing Redcloak kept his hands pretty clean with that one or he'd be in serious trouble! Then again, imploding the resistance members may come back to bite him someday.

TRH
2013-08-21, 10:53 PM
Huh. My recollection is hazy, but I think Xykon may have killed a character or two along the way. How long until he bites it, then? :smalltongue:

Chaotic Queen
2013-08-21, 11:03 PM
Huh. My recollection is hazy, but I think Xykon may have killed a character or two along the way. How long until he bites it, then? :smalltongue:

I said the pattern was recent. As in, "starting with this arc". :annoyed:

Spleen_
2013-08-21, 11:09 PM

Durkon, ever the practical Dwarf, decided he'd have both at once.:durkon:

But of course, Roy was into it before it was cool.:roy: