PDA

View Full Version : Good prestige for Cleric of Tempus

montoya
2013-08-21, 06:42 PM
I'm currently a level 9 cleric of Tempus and am wondering if there are good prestige classes that go along with it. He is built for battle and has a 20 wisdom thanks to a necklace. I was looking at the shining blade of "herroneus" which says you can insert any god to substitute. Problem is you lose spell progression. Is there anything similar to this class but with no spell loss?

Saintheart
2013-08-21, 08:47 PM
There are very few with no spell loss. But for God's sake stay away from Shining Blade of Heironeous, it sucks.

Ordained Champion (from Complete Champion) comes up a lot as a beatstick-sort of a cleric, if that's what you're going for. Has several nice toys. You lose two caster levels, but given the PrC is only five levels long it's not that bad. After that, I've seen recommendations for Fist of Raziel out of Book of Exalted Deeds, which loses one caster level.

EDIT: You might also want to browse through this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297982) where someone was looking for a very similar thing you are. Contains a solid discussion about what to look for in prestige classes, and has a look over a few Realms-specific prestige classes for clerics of Tempus.

Beleron
2013-08-22, 12:03 AM
I suspect that at the level you're at, most plausible PrCs you might want to to take would require some retraining to meet their requirements.

For a specific suggestion for a battle cleric, how about a mildly refluffed stormlord|?

montoya
2013-08-22, 12:10 AM
Don't I need to follow Talos for Stormlord?

I suppose losing two caster levels isn't the worst thing. I will check it out. What book is Ordained champion in?

Beleron
2013-08-22, 12:16 AM
That's why the refluffing. But actually, on second thoughts, the feat requirements for that class are probably too ugly anyway. (I was remembering it from Neverwinter Nights 2, where the Earth domain gives free endurance.)

montoya
2013-08-22, 12:22 AM
My cleric is heavily involved in the story and his religion is a big part of it.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-22, 12:23 AM
Maybe Warpriest (http://dndtools.eu/classes/warpriest/) or Pious Templar (http://dndtools.eu/classes/pious-templar/) or Swift Wing (http://dndtools.eu/classes/swift-wing/)

montoya
2013-08-22, 12:28 AM
After my game tonight I was also wondering if I should prestige? Is using Righteous Might and Divine Power a legal combo? One gives a size bonus to Str the other an enhancement bonus.

ryu
2013-08-22, 12:33 AM
Best beatstick tends to involve using divine metamagic to persist ALL of the buffs for the day. Cloistered cleric is best because it gets knowledge domain and more skill points at the expense of armor proficiency that you can probably beat with spells anyway.

Saintheart
2013-08-22, 12:44 AM
After my game tonight I was also wondering if I should prestige? Is using Righteous Might and Divine Power a legal combo? One gives a size bonus to Str the other an enhancement bonus.

Yes, they do and it is perfectly legit. They have different types of bonus, therefore they stack.

montoya
2013-08-22, 12:49 AM
Thought so. A shame My str is only a 14. Though with both spells a 24 str is very nice.

Morithias
2013-08-22, 12:49 AM
Battleguard of Tempus maybe?

montoya
2013-08-22, 12:52 AM
Where can I find that?

Morithias
2013-08-22, 01:00 AM
Where can I find that?

Dragon 317 page 76.

montoya
2013-08-22, 06:52 PM
Great thanks!

ericp65
2013-08-22, 08:48 PM
Battleguard of Tempus from that issue of Dragon Magazine is less than thrilling, in my highly biased opinion. In the thread mentioned earlier, I've gotten fantastic advice, and very much prefer the 10-level version of the Battleguard of Tempus PrC, as it more closely resembles the original, and appears more in keeping with the spirit of a holy warrior of Tempus, than anything else I've seen. If you are permitted to use it, I highly recommend at least some levels in that PrC!