PDA

View Full Version : Options for ex-paladins

RabidEel
2013-08-21, 08:03 PM
I'm doing a silly semi-D&D roleplay* with a backstory NPC who used to be a paladin (then she got vampired, then she put on a Helm of Opposite Alignment, so she's *probably* CG-ish). I'm having fun coming up with the details on this one, so I'm trying to figure out what she'd do if she lost her Lawful alignment and there was no one available who could cast an atonement spell. I know from hanging around here that Evil ex-paladins can become blackguards, is there a parallel class for Chaotic ex-paladins? I looked up the SRD, but it didn't prove very helpful. I mean, the SRD D&D wiki that's the first result when you look up D&D stuff doesn't even have any search results for "blackguard".

Also, I couldn't find where it said what class can cast an atonement spell.

*I'd link to the first thread I made on the subject, but I can't find the search button and apparently I don't have permission to look up my past threads from my profile, for some reason.

J-H
2013-08-21, 08:50 PM
The SRD has alternative rules from Unearthed Arcana. One of the Paladin variants is the CG Paladin of Freedom.

Feytalist
2013-08-22, 03:06 AM
Complete Divine's Holy Liberator is a sort of CG-paladin prestige class. Gets most of the paladin class features back, plus a celestial companion. It even has extra options for ex-paladins (not much, but it's something).

RabidEel
2013-08-22, 11:48 AM
Sounds good. I'll look it up.

P.S. I could have sworn when I was reading the SRD on Atonement yesterday, it said it can only turn the atoner into the same alignment as the caster. Now I can't find that anywhere. Am I imagining things? (My IRL Spot Check is lower than Belkar's).

EDIT: Thanks, Dusk, I was wondering if I had done something wrong or something.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-22, 11:53 AM
The reason you can't see your past threads/post is because of technical reasons the search function has been disabled.

Glimbur
2013-08-22, 09:17 PM
The reason you can't see your past threads/post is because of technical reasons the search function has been disabled.

Google works well enough. Just use site:giantitp.com/forums and then search your terms, like your user name.

On topic, there are also variant paladins (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofFreedomClassF eatures) for different alignments. It would be pretty reasonable to have retrained from Paladin of LG to Paladin of Freedom in your backstory, so you are still a warrior of good but Freedom rather than Order.

Edit: of course, this was the first response you got. That's what I get for skimming.