PDA

View Full Version : archivist build questions

shendelzar
2013-08-21, 08:11 PM
I am building an archivist and had some rule questions as well as need some advice...
I am going lesser tiefling for the int and dex bonus

Feat wise i plan on :
1-academic priest to use int vs wisdom in spells per day
3-knowledge devotion
6-nature archivust to use dark knowledge vs giants and fey
9-draconic archivist to use it against dragons
aS early as pissible i will take skill trick collector of stories for bonus on kn checks

My first question is when k activate dark knowledge with my move action, does it activate all forms of my dark knowledge(tactics,foe,puissance...)?

For example, with this build i should have no problems hitting 40 on my knowledge check. With one move action and one check, can i grant my party the +3atk ,+3d6 dmg +3 saves vs that creature(lets say a single vampire)?
Is it then a second move action to roll against a second creature(lets say a displacer beast) in the same encounter?
Or do i have to take multiple rounds/move actions to activate each bonus seperately(6 rounds in the above encounter scenario of vamp+displacer)

Next, do my bonuses stack for spell rolls/dmg from say an orb of acid(+3tohit ,+3d6 dmg)

Next would the same roll count towards my kn devotion check and do the bonuses there stack with my dark knowkedge bonuses (spells and attacks)?

Lastly, what are more ways to increase my kn checks rolls?

If all this works, this could be an effective build whether im atracking with spells, or just a crossbow. Im figuring around +15 to hit on ranged atracks assuming all my max bonuses stack!

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-21, 10:52 PM
My first question is when [I] activate dark knowledge with my move action, does it activate all forms of my dark knowledge(tactics,foe,puissance...)?No. One type of Dark Knowledge bonus per creature type per use.

Or do i have to take multiple rounds/move actions to activate each bonus seperately(6 rounds in the above encounter scenario of vamp+displacer)This.

Next, do my bonuses stack for spell rolls/dmg from say an orb of acid(+3tohit ,+3d6 dmg)Read the Dark Knowledge ability itself:

Tactics: The archivist knows the general combat behaviors of creatures of that race, granting his allies a +1 bonus to attack rolls made against them.Attack rolls, unspecified. That means all.

Foe: Starting at 8th level, an archivist can direct his allies to attack vital spots of his enemies. On a successful Knowledge check, he grants them a bonus to weapon damage rolls made against the target creatures equal to 1d6 points of damage. Weapons, not spells.

Next would the same roll count towards my kn devotion check and do the bonuses there stack with my dark knowkedge bonuses (spells and attacks)?Different ability, different roll, different action (though I think the Knowledge Devotion is a free action... I think).

Lastly, what are more ways to increase my kn checks rolls?Divine Insight. Cleric spell from Spell Compendium.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-21, 11:01 PM
Weapons, not spells.

Except in the case of weaponlike spells (such as ray spells).

shendelzar
2013-08-22, 09:05 AM
Except in the case of weaponlike spells (such as ray spells).

Interesting point... Would this include ray of enfeeblement? Extra d6 added to the d6 of str penalty.?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-22, 09:12 AM
IIRC damage bonus for weapon-like spells that don't deal HP damage is converted into negative energy damage.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-22, 09:47 AM
IIRC damage bonus for weapon-like spells that don't deal HP damage is converted into negative energy damage.

Correct.

whitetextofpostingness+1

shendelzar
2013-08-22, 09:49 AM
So I would do 1d6 of str + 3d6 of HP DMG?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-08-22, 09:52 AM
Yep

totally stealing whitetextofpostingness btw

Fax Celestis
2013-08-22, 10:00 AM
It's discussed in Complete Arcane, and then there's this article as well:

Spells as Sneak Attacks

Any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage can be used in a sneak attack. In this case "damage" is normal damage, nonlethal damage, ability damage, or energy drain. You can sneak attack with a Melf's acid arrow spell, but not with a magic missile spell.

Ranged spells are effective as sneak attacks only at ranges of 30 feet or less (just like any other ranged sneak attack).

A successful sneak attack with a weaponlike spell inflicts extra damage according to the attacker's sneak attack ability, and the extra damage dealt is the same type as the spell deals. For example, a 10th-level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack with a Melf's acid arrow spell inflicts 2d4 points of acid damage, plus an extra 5d6 points of acid damage from the sneak attack (note that continuing damage from this spell is not part of the sneak attack). Spells that inflict energy drains or ability damage deal extra negative energy damage in a sneak attack, not extra negative levels or ability damage. For example, a 10th-level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack with an enervation spell deals 1d4 negative levels plus an extra 5d6 points of negative energy damage.

If the sneak attack with a weaponlike spell results in a critical hit, the damage from the spell is doubled but the extra sneak attack damage is not doubled (as with any sneak attack).

With spell effects that allow you to make multiple attack rolls, such as the energy orb spells or the Split Ray feat from Tome and Blood, you must treat the effect like a volley -- only the first attack can be a sneak attack.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a

Note, however, that the last paragraph is kind of wrong: a volley attack is an ability that makes multiple attacks for one attack roll (like Manyshot). The general consensus houserule is that you can get sneak attack damage once per attack roll.

Aracor
2013-08-22, 10:37 AM

That's close. But it still has to do DAMAGE. Ray of Enfeeblement doesn't actually do any damage, so it won't do any bonus damage. It simply inflicts a penalty to strength. Ray of idiocy, as it deals intelligence damage and not a penalty, would deal bonus hit point damage.