PDA

View Full Version : Naïveté

MesiDoomstalker
2013-08-21, 08:42 PM
So, I got to thinking. It seems Elan's family has a horrible streak of naïveté. When Nale was first introduced, he was naïve enough to think Elan was the leader of their group. We are constantly reminded about Elan's own naïveté at many junctures, like his attempts at being a wizard. He believed his father wasn't an unrepentant evil dictator, require literal flaming letters to spell it out for him. And now Tarquin showed his greatest naïveté yet, in believing that Nale wanted to be anything like himself.

It's got me thinking, about the comic and how families are portrayed. Look at Roy and Euguene. They seem very different on the surface, just like Elan, Nale and Tarquin do. But if you dig a little deeper, you see some strong family ties. For one, both are incredibly stubborn, and short tempered. Roy seems to have more patience than his father (or at least more than his father who's banned from paradise). They both have a sense of self-righteousness, as does Julia. Eugene thinks Magic is the only true answer to Xykon, Roy believes only he can stop Xykon, and Julia is quite full of herself.

Haley, prior to her character development, was a spitting image of her father. She fights her urge to keep secrets, to lie, cheat and steal even now.

It seems, to me at least, that familial connections in Oots run deeper than just blood. There seems to be a common thread running through each of the family's we've seen in Oots narrative. Elan's family's naïveté, Roy's stubbornnes and self-righteousness. Haley and her misery ways. Even Shojo and Hinjo, and their duty to the people of Azure City. They had different methodologies to protecting them, but they put their citizens above all else. You could argue that's more a trait of a ruler, but that does not mean its not a trait they share.

So, I ask to you fellow Playgrounders, what other examples of familial commonality are there? Or am I totally off base?

pendell
2013-08-21, 08:50 PM
You're not off-base, I think it is a wise insight.

Unfortunately, I have no additional things to suggest yet. A counterexample would be the SOD relationship in ... Redcloak's family, we'll call it. The two family members shown become very different people over the years.

How about ... Shojo and Hinjo? They are father in son. One is chaotic good, the other is lawful good. At first glance they appear different .... are they nonetheless the same in important ways?

Discuss. I'm for bed.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

martianmister
2013-08-21, 09:05 PM
When Nale was first introduced, he was naïve enough to think Elan was the leader of their group.

I never understand this assumpion. Where do people get that Nale/Tarquin apparently believes that Elan is the leader of the order? Tarquin is overestimating his son, and maybe, thought him as the leader at first, but that's clearly not the case anymore.

Rakoa
2013-08-21, 09:48 PM
Minor nitpick, but I believe Hinjo is Shojo's nephew. Otherwise, however, I agree with what's being said.

Fishnet
2013-08-21, 09:52 PM
How about ... Shojo and Hinjo? They are father in son. One is chaotic good, the other is lawful good....

Shojo was actually Hinjo's uncle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0406.html, panels 6-8), and they can't even agree on Hinjo's mom's/Shojo's sister's alignment.

I think you're confusing "naive" with "ignorant." Nale misjudged Elan's role in the Order of the Stick - that's ignorance, not naivete - and Tarquin's whole way of being clashes with the word naive. Naive means "unnafected simplicity," i.e. lacking in experience or wisdom or judgment, being totally innocent.

Elan, basically.

But Tarquin? The savvy, grizzled warlord who always has a grand plan and grander perspective? Not naive, I'd say.

The families portrayed in OOTS don't revolve around common themes. They revolve around how the members of those families are influenced by each other. I think the Giant mentioned somewhere that he likes his fantasy to reflect real world issues, and the way family relationships and personalities influence our actions is pretty darn real.