PDA

View Full Version : Delaying Vital Recovery

PaintByBlood
2013-08-22, 01:53 AM
I asked this on the Q&A and got the answer that I would have guessed, going by the text of the feat. However, I wanted to be doubly certain that there was nothing missed regarding this, because in my mind it answers a larger question that I feel is worth answering. Further, I'd like to get an opinion on it outside of simply if it fits the rules as they are.

The situation in question: you are playing a crusader. You want to increase your survivability a little bit more, so you pick up the feat Vital Recovery

When you recover one or more expended maneuvers, you heal 3 points of damage + 1 point per character level. You can gain this benefit only once per encounter.
However, you have little control over how often you recover maneuvers, and if you had taken no damage at that time, by a strict interpretation of the matter you would be healed nonetheless, and waste your one use of the ability.

My primary question is this: the feat on its face indicates that you are healed when you recover one or more expended maneuvers, with no caveats. Might there be, though, some overarching rule that indicates that you may forgo the benefits of a feat even if it does not explicitly state that it is an option for you, and thereby gain the benefit later in the encounter?

If that is not the case, would it generally be accepted that this is a thing that you may do, despite no strict ruling for it?

Hytheter
2013-08-22, 02:03 AM
The simple solution is to not restore your maneuvers until you need the HP. If you're a Warblade or a Swordsage, just attack normally for a bit when you run out and then restore them when you're low on health.

If you're a crusader... well, you're in trouble. But that's still 3/4 turns before the healing kicks in, if you haven't taken damage by then something's gone horribly right.

Using Adaptive Style might count too, since technically you aren't recovering maneuvers, just getting new ones. It's kinda sketchy though.